Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm sewing machine >

Long Arm sewing machine

Long Arm sewing machine

Old 01-18-2015, 06:25 AM

I graduated from a short arm to a 17-inch Bailey in 9/2012. It is a real workhorse and I love the frame (Grace Majeste). My biggest challenge is thread tension because my quilting projects use different threads. Everytime I change the thread, I test it on a swatch on the side first before getting started on the actual quilt. It helps. I would love to hear what tensions other Bailey owners like to use. If you want, reply to this post or PM me.

Shesewsmuch, hope you find a machine you like and enjoy it. Once you get over the learning curve, you'll do fine!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 AM

Default Longarm machine.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Hi and welcome to the board. Maniac hit the nail on the head when she said it was almost like shopping for a car. First thing you need to do is test drive a few to make sure you may even like Longarm quilting. Plenty of people have posted on this board in the past that once they tried it they realized right away it wasn't for them. Others realized the cost did not justify the amount of quilting they might possibly do or realized they could literally send hundreds of quilts to a LA pro for the cost of the machine.

Most people research and weigh their options for a year or more when making such an expensive purchase. They range in price from as little as a a couple thousand dollars for bare bones, no stitch regulated smaller sit down models like a 13" Bailey to tens of thousands of dollars for the computerized models and every price point in between. In addition to the cost of the machine head you will need either a special table or a rack. So you need to add at least $600 to your machine price for purchasing a table or rack (and some are quite a bit more than that). You can always make a table too There are also used machines out there but if you go that route you most likely will not get any training or support if something goes wrong. Believe me you definitely want training and support.

First you need to set yourself a budget. Then based on that, you need to decide if you want a sit down machine or a rack set up. Then you need to make a list of what features you may want, such as stitch regulation, computer guided, etc. Then you need to start researching and going to major quilt shows to see them in action. Check your area LQS to see if any of them offer training and rental time on a LA. A sure fire way to find out if you can manage working on a rack set up physically (long hours of standing and loading quilts, backing and batting). If sit down is the way you want to go, again, go to the big shows and try out a demo model or better yet find a local dealer. You don't say where in Western NY you are but Bailey's home quilters are in western NY. You may be close enough to them to stop in.
http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/index.html

My best advice to you is don't rush into anything. Weigh all your options and don't forget these types of machine also have a long learning curve for many. Take your time so you don't regret your purchase.
I would suggest longarm university. You can purchase used machines thru them. I acquired a machine that way and love it. The price was right for me and it was local so I was able to pick it up as well. Try that
Old 01-18-2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Not exactly, a Brand new HQ 18" Avante with frame and SR retails at $10,995.00
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/avanteadvantage.php

A brand new 18" Innova with frame and SR (NOT Lightening stitche) retails at $9,995.00
http://www.innovalongarm.com/shop/innova-packages.html

IMHO Innova is a much better machine (but I am biased) and definitely priced more competitively than HQ.
Like FelineFanatic, I love my Innova (very low maintenance), but you definitely need to do a test drive to find the one for you. Also, if cost is a factor, try to find a used machine. Sometimes the dealers have demos or trade-ins that cost less. You also need to consider what you have in the way of available floor space.

The big difference between a sitdown and the standard LA or machine with frame is you still have to push the quilt around under the sitdown machine.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:20 AM

Have you looked into renting a machine at your local quilt shop?

There are several stores in the Ohio area that rent the machines by the hour after you take a training class.

I have found this very useful to spend time with the different machines to narrow down which one I might consider.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:10 PM

Smile midarm

Originally Posted by shesewsmuch View Post
I would like a long arm for my own use at home. Any suggestions as to the least expensive kind that would be better than trying to shove a queen size quilt through my regular sewing machine? Thanks!!
You should consider my midarm Pfaff with an Inspira frame. She is wonderful for free motion quilting. Also has laser panto capabilities. I didn't use her very much when I started making prayer quilts and needed the computer and longarm for speed. The Pfaff can be set up with a Qbot computer. I need to sell her to make some room. She does crib to king size quilts. Great setup for anyone that loves to freehand! It's a steal at $4,000.00!!
Old 01-18-2015, 01:24 PM

I have a viking Mega quilter 9" throat with Grace metal frame for sale $1650 including UPS shipping. Contact me if you are interested. Thanks
Old 01-18-2015, 02:55 PM

I like my Nolting. Remember that a good dealer is very important for learning how to run it and for service. A good dealer is worth their weight in gold.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:54 PM

FYI, a new Gammill 18" with a 10' or 12' frame runs about $9000.00 . Call your local dealer and check it out. Go for a test drive.....your gonna love it!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:18 PM

before you make a decision, take the time to rent some time on a long arm to see if you like it, and be sure to check on internet--google "comparing long arm quilting machines" and you'll find some articles that will give you info. THEN go to a major quilt show and test drive the different machines with a list of features you've decided you want. Sometimes at major shows they sell the machines used in the long arm quilting classes at a significant discount so they don't have to ship them back as do the vendors . once you've figured out your "want" list and budget, you'll know whether you are shopping new or used

Also--while most long armers do stand a lot (loading, doing pantos, etc) consider adding saddle or drafting stool in the future if you plan to do much free hand quilting and choose your frame/table accordingly--glad I did!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:18 PM

I just bought a long arm and I love it. I think the machine is great but the instruction booklet is in black and white and the pictures are terrible and there are mistakes also. The videos do not show the easiest fastest way to do things. I wish I had asked how much instruction on how to use the machine comes with the purchase price and last of all, I wish we had bought a used one from a reputable dealer who likes to give instructions.