Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm tension problems >

Long arm tension problems

Long arm tension problems

Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grammyp
OK here is the back story. Last year for Christmas DH got me a Voyager 17 mid arm and frame. The machine had a crack in the finish, so they took it back and replaced it. The new machine is driving me nuts. The presser foot tension knob was broken off, they sent a new one. Now it is either eating thread or looping on the back. I have changed needles, thread, and bobbin cases, re-threaded, adjusted tension on the machine and the quilt in the frame (thought it may be stretched too tight). I can get it to sew well for about 3 minutes, then it starts skipping stitches and breaks the thread. Then sometimes it will get loops on the back (sometimes big, sometimes little). I'm at my wit's end. I'm going to ask them to send me a new tension assembly and see if that helps.

Does anyone have any more suggestions? Please, something. I need some wine.
I am not sure if this will help or not, but for a short time I was having a similar problem with my Gammill. The dealer had me to adjust the thread guide right in front of my upper tension disc. By moving the thread guide to a tipped position it allowed the thread to have a more even tension to it and it didn't pop out of the tension disc causing breaking threads, back loops and uneven bottom tension. So check to see if there is a thread guide that you can loose and turn counterclock wise to get it tipped to what would be between 2 and 3 oclock if you were looking at a clock. Hope this helps. It made a world of difference for me and took 30 seconds to correct.

Good luck,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask or just PM me.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:40 AM

I haven't tried that Sherryl. There is a thread guide there, I'll see if I can adjust it. Thanks. I have adjusted guide above the spool and that helped with back loops.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
I am so sorry that happened...very frustrating! I actually bought that machine myself and had similar issues.....i quilted one quilt then it went out of time..so I sent the whole thing back and got my money back. SO I bought an Innova...sorry I can't help you but pretty soon you will either have a whole new machine that you assembled yourself...part by part??.....or you will be a whiz at tension issues! Gotta look at the bright side of things!
on this issue, i have to agree. i would send it back. they cost too much to keep having problems with it.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:08 AM

Sherryl, the thread guide is fixed, so no adjustment.

The grands are spending the day and night tonight, so no sewing. But tomorrow I will clean the bobbin trace again and see if that helps. Them Monday I will contact Nolting and if they cannot get it fixed call Hinterburg and have them pick it up for replacement again. I don't object to having to adjust new machines, but this has reached the point of absurd.