Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do? >

Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do?

Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do?

Old 12-13-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I agree with what has been posted already.
If she hasn't made an attempt to correct the problem for you, or even answer your emails, then she is not a respectable business person. Go ahead and tell the 200 people you know.
As for fixing it. It depends on how big it is. If it is tiny you may be able to sew it together so that the stitches are inside the quilt. If not, try taking that area apart and placing a piece of same fabric underneath. Bond some fusible web to the RIGHT side of that piece before putting it under the rip. Then fuse it. It will prevent the ripped edges from fraying and will hold the edges down so they don't catch on things. Then redo the quilting in that spot on your own machine. Finish off with binding. That would be my best solution.
Word of mouth can be your best advertising. It can also be your worse enemy if a business has messed up. If she won't offer to fix it, then you have a powerful tool.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 AM

I think the ideas that are being posted on the repair are great ones. One thing to think about, is the person that is doing your longarm quilting insured? I would ask her to at least refund part of my money. I am a longarmer and I would be mortified if I did that to someones quilt. Keep trying to reach her. She at least owes you an apology
Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
Be careful. She could sue for libel.
Can a person sue for libel if the statements made are the true?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:52 AM

Change long armers. Unless there was a contract saying that she was responsible for any damage caused by quilting I don't think there's a whole lot you can do about it. Is it possible to take some of the same fabric, put fusing on it then work it inside of the hole an press the tear down to the fusable?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 AM

Something similar happened to me. The longarmer was recommended by a local quilt shop. I took my quilt into the shop and showed the owner what had happened. They took her business cards off the rack and wouldn't recommend her to anyone anymore. I received no apology or price reduction either.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:07 AM

This happened when my long armer was quilting one of my quilts. She called me immediately and she was really devestated. She asked if I could bring my fabric scaps to her so she could pick out the right one to make the repair. She pieced in and appliqued a repair. She did a fabulous job and it was VERY difficult to find the spot that was repaired. I was very grateful. And she gave me a $20 coupon to use on my next quilt. I continue to bring my quilts to her. This could have happened to anyone. The difference between my experience and yours is, my LA'er did the right thing. I hope you get some satisfaction.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 AM

This "hole in the quilt" happened to me as well. While all quilts are special, this one was very dear to my heart and the person I was giving it to as I was retiring and moving quite a distance away. It was dead center on the back side and about the size of a quarter. I took a small piece of fabric that I used in the quilt (contrasting to hole) and cut out a heart. I appliqued it over the hole and attached a note saying, "I have taken a little piece of this quilt out and replaced it with a piece of my heart for you to always be reminded how much I love you." It turned out to be more meaningful than I ever imagined.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:49 AM

I think I'd write a letter and send copies of it to local quilt shops, better business bureau in that area and send a copy to HER with a notation on the bottom that letters had been sent to such and such places. I'd also post something on her website if she has one. People who are looking for someone to quilt their quilts, need to know. Mistakes can happen but she should have been woman enough to tell you about it instead of trying to ignore it. And she should have offered to fix it if possible or given you a discount. Personally, if I messed up someone's quilt, I'd be too ashamed to charge them labor or quilting fees on it.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:27 AM

Not to be vindictive, but it seems to me that the more people that see her name, the more chance there would be that no one else will use her. All of us make mistakes but her attitude leaves a lot to be desired. Is it illegal to post her name and your complaint or is it just mean and not done on this site? I hope this wasn't a Christmas gift but I am sure you can easily cover the mistake with an applique, button or bling.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:32 AM

I've been longarming for 6 years . . . this just happened to me for the first time on a customer quilt. I was using a ruler template, my hopping foot hopped onto the template, broke the needle and tore a small hole in the quilt. Needless to say, I was sick. I fixed it and them put fraycheck on that spot so that it won't fray over time. I definately will tell the customer when she picks it up ... thankfully I have done lots and lots of quilts for her, so we have a good relationship.

Stuff happens, we're human. However, I agree that she needs to make it right with you and should have been honest with you about it.