Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Longarm Quilting Machines

I have been following this post and have been seriously considering a LA for a while and have done a lot of research and test driving. I pretty much have it down to the Innova or Tin lizzie (Nolting not completely ruled out) so I am wondering about those of you who own those brands, if you checked out any of these others and what differences you found to make you choose the one you did. I did read the thread difference thing but were there other deciding factors? If you are more comfortable doing a PM, please do. It is a big investment and I want to do the right thing! Thanks

Actually if someone does post an answer to this, I would love to see it here, rather than a PM to Dar-midlife. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dar-midlife
    I have been following this post and have been seriously considering a LA for a while and have done a lot of research and test driving. I pretty much have it down to the Innova or Tin lizzie (Nolting not completely ruled out) so I am wondering about those of you who own those brands, if you checked out any of these others and what differences you found to make you choose the one you did. I did read the thread difference thing but were there other deciding factors? If you are more comfortable doing a PM, please do. It is a big investment and I want to do the right thing! Thanks

I have the Nolting 24" Pro and just love it.

I don't know about the others, but I also had pretty much narrowed it down to Innova and Tin Lizzie by researching. But also very high on my list was to keep the cost down to around $5000 or less - I'm not really doing this to go into business, tho I won't mind quilting for others occasionally. I certainly don't make that many of my own quilt tops in a years time, but have been having a blast learning with pantographs on our guilds charity quilts for now.. There are some really terrific deals on a couple different used machine sites for bigger throated machines, but I also was pretty OK with the idea of less than 20" for the reach from front to back or back to front and even the idea that I should be pretty well set for quite a long time if I have the capability of quilting in a 15" space. And at this point I really don't need or want all the bells and whistles, just a basic machine that works well and doesn't have issues. What it boiled down to for me was I stumbled on an excellent deal that was actually local to me. So far so good...

I have a Nolting 24 Pro and just love it.

so what did you end up buying?

Quote Originally Posted by auntjo
    I don't know about the others, but I also had pretty much narrowed it down to Innova and Tin Lizzie by researching. But also very high on my list was to keep the cost down to around $5000 or less - I'm not really doing this to go into business, tho I won't mind quilting for others occasionally. I certainly don't make that many of my own quilt tops in a years time, but have been having a blast learning with pantographs on our guilds charity quilts for now.. There are some really terrific deals on a couple different used machine sites for bigger throated machines, but I also was pretty OK with the idea of less than 20" for the reach from front to back or back to front and even the idea that I should be pretty well set for quite a long time if I have the capability of quilting in a 15" space. And at this point I really don't need or want all the bells and whistles, just a basic machine that works well and doesn't have issues. What it boiled down to for me was I stumbled on an excellent deal that was actually local to me. So far so good...

Quote Originally Posted by wolph33
    Innova 18" on a 12' frame-love it.had a handiquilter and had lots of tension issues
    what kind of price do these run?? I'm just coming out of my fainting spell from the 35 - 40,000.

I have a new Nolting 24, and I love it. Test drove 5 different Brands of machines before I purchased it. My one $$$$ hint. Purchase your machine at a Quilt show, Expo, etc. As they will have show specials and extras that you may have to purchase seperitly. So get those extras if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tails
    Quote Originally Posted by wolph33
    Innova 18" on a 12' frame-love it.had a handiquilter and had lots of tension issues
    what kind of price do these run?? I'm just coming out of my fainting spell from the 35 - 40,000.
    we pd $9000 about 1.5 yrs ago. great machine for the price-frame is not the prettiest but very sturdy

I JUST GOT A TIN LIZZIE WHILE AT THE SEW EXPO IN PUALLUP WA. PAID $6,584. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THE MACHINE COST $6000 THE REST WAS SALES TAX! DO NOT WANT TO SPEND A LOT IN THAT AREA.

I love, love, love my Gammill.

Hello from Saskatchewan....my first time posting.....I too have a Long-arm machine--- the Baby Lock Crown Jewel. I think it has great potential.....just learning the software and have had a few technical problems with the computer. Does any out there in cyber space have this machine and how do you like it. Would sure like to talk to someone about some of the issues I am having. No Baby Lock reps here on the prairies....or maybe there is one under 40 feet of snow or frozen solid on the Yellowhead!!!!

LOLOL Please feel free to keep that 40 feet, ours is mostly gone. I was wondering about the Jewel (I have the BL ellegante2 and I love it, would like to stay with the family if I can, lol Welcome to the board of certifiables :) Wendy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie-Jean
    Hello from Saskatchewan....my first time posting.....I too have a Long-arm machine--- the Baby Lock Crown Jewel. I think it has great potential.....just learning the software and have had a few technical problems with the computer. Does any out there in cyber space have this machine and how do you like it. Would sure like to talk to someone about some of the issues I am having. No Baby Lock reps here on the prairies....or maybe there is one under 40 feet of snow or frozen solid on the Yellowhead!!!!

I have an Innova and absolutely love it.

After researching all other LA's on the market, I decided on the Innova and do not regret my choice.

It does fabulous quilting with all thread types and for the $$$$ range it beats all the other's hands down.

My hubby is very mechanically and technically talented so he added some heavy duty castors to my frame for way less than what they (the reseller) charges and he's now in the process of making me a light bar to attach to my frame - another savings.

Sorry, that was iin the original post & forgot to mention it this time :) Tin Lizzie Eighteen

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah CA
    so what did you end up buying?

Quote Originally Posted by auntjo

Blog Entries
    I have a Baby Lock Jewel with Quilt Motion.

I have had a 26" Innova since Sept. 2009. Absolutely
    love it. I tried them all and this was the best is all ways,
    price expecially, best of all ease of use. Best of luck with
    your decision!

Connie, Iola, KS. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinggolfer
    I have had a 26" Innova since Sept. 2009. Absolutely
    love it. I tried them all and this was the best is all ways,
    price expecially, best of all ease of use. Best of luck with
    your decision!

Connie, Iola, KS. :thumbup:
    Do you have the lightening stitch and what makes it worth the extra money?

No I purchased mine before the lightning stitch came out.
    The major longarmers who do lots of show quilts and customizing for a business, say that it is worth the money. It makes it so there is no long stitches from a start and stop or any other time. I tried one at the IMQS show and it was nice but not in my budget. If I was ordering a new machine and planning on a business I would consider it.
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinggolfer
    No I purchased mine before the lightning stitch came out.
    The major longarmers who do lots of show quilts and customizing for a business, say that it is worth the money. It makes it so there is no long stitches from a start and stop or any other time. I tried one at the IMQS show and it was nice but not in my budget. If I was ordering a new machine and planning on a business I would consider it.
    Connie
    Interesting, thanks.

HQ-16 love it, have sit down model as not enough room available to use one with large frame.

In response to the $ question for long-arm machines - the Baileys are the most reasonably priced basic machines. The 13" machines are $1599, the 15" are $1899 and the 17" are $2499. One member did post that she found a big difference in the ease of movement between her Bailey and her current machine. I have a Bailey 17" on a Grace Imperial frame and it moves around with one finger. The carriage on the quilting frame is what makes the most difference in how easily your machine moves. If you want a basic machine to just quilt your own quilts, these machines are worth considering. You can also get a stitch regulator for them. Just remember to get a good carriage.

I have the Innova 26 with prostitch. I don't have the new lightning stitch. I really do like mine, but I'm new to longarming and can't compare it to anything else. I don't have trouble with thread breakage, etc. The trouble I have is operator inexperience!!

My two cents - I have had two Baileys, the 13" and the 15" and the difference between them and the Innova is gigantic! My Baileys were on a Little Gracie II frame, the frame was fine.
    I was always quilting, so had much experience with the problems of the stitching, tension, and etc. The 15" had the stitch regulator, and I never found it was any great advantage. I used these machines for about 3 years. Am so glad I have the Innova and if I had to go back to Bailey, after my experiences, I would no longer quilt...
    Phyllis

I have an APQS Ultimate II that is ten years old. It does what I bought it for and at my age and with only retirement income, I won't be upgrading. Truthfully I would like something smaller, but that's an "if I win the lotto" dream.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast