Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for ideas for center block in unique Autumn inspired Table Topper >

Looking for ideas for center block in unique Autumn inspired Table Topper

Looking for ideas for center block in unique Autumn inspired Table Topper

Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 AM

How about a horn of plenty and some veggies?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:20 AM

i like the last one best. the dark borders really make everything pop. it is beautiful,
Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM

Thank you each for such nice words and wonderful ideas. Wow I sure lucked out in getting feedback from people with great creative ideas! I wanted to respond to all these terrific great ideas so here I am taking a shot at it:

Originally Posted by Dianemarie
I think the small green border inside the botanical is a great idea and then some fancy quilting in the center and maybe the border edges too.
Can you tell I love hand quilting !
Yes I can! I like that idea too. ;) It seems like you couldn't go wrong with it!

Originally Posted by QM
The border is spectacular. The block brings it down. To my thinking, a vase of flowers and leaves(a la Baltimore Album, or a wreath of leaves would be a better approach, although I do like the idea of only leaf quilting too.
I have never tried to do appliqué but your idea of the Baltimore Album Style centerpiece is wonderful. I should give it a shot!

Originally Posted by mumzer
Since it is a botanical block how about birds. Check out some of the pictures in Birds and Bloom they are just lovely. mumzer
Oh birds would be beautiful! That is a wonderful magazine just chock full of inspiration.

Originally Posted by kantuckee
That looks perfect for an autumn hunting panel. Something like this center panel. Just a thought.
You really picked a great panel to illustrate your point! :D It does look like it would fit perfectly, even the colors.

Originally Posted by plainpat
You can find diff ideas at Quilter's Cache.com.The blocks are shown in color & also by size. The table cover is so pretty,I see it as a wall hanging after the day. Just one idea.
I know, I didn’t know what to choose to make it into. But a wall hanging is a good idea!

Originally Posted by rita222
howaboout a tree in full autumn bloom either in applique or fussy cut
Like an art quilt? Wow that would look amazing if I had the skills. I just bought a book on landscape quilting so maybe… ;)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Judith
I really like the block you put in the centre. have you thought of using elements from the border to make applique shapes for the centre? I think that might look very pretty.
Originally Posted by EmiliasNana
Absolutely love your leaf fabric with the green border. I can almost see your head spinning with creative ideas. Could you possibly make your own fabric for the block by grouping greens, browns, rusts from the garden and then using those for the center motif? Lots more work, I know, and more expense..........just thinking out loud. I always make more work for myself that way, so feel free to totally ignore : ) Whatever you do will be absolutely stupendous, as it already is.
Judith & EmiliasNana,
You both are thinking of matching center motifs which is a great idea. I actually also made fabric with these botanical elements as sprays and kaleidoscoped designs as well, so it wouldn’t have to be applique. And I have found a few fabrics with just the right colors to play off the botanical fabric.
I had to laugh when I read that you make more work for yourself EN, I do too.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by VaNella
How wonderful!! I would make the star in neutrals so it is barely there. That is a compromise between nothing and a star that may compete with your botanicals.
Originally Posted by lsmft
The focus should be your gorgeous garden motif -- not the center (even tho the square is beautiful.) Center should have muted color - not brighter than the border.
:D It seems great minds think alike with both of you! Great suggestions!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by babindg12200
You know I think I would put a doily in the center, you can hand sew one on. If you don't have one, I could do one for you. You let me know what color thread you want me to use.
Awww… that is so sweet babindg! Thank you for your offer. I do have a few doilies - my mom was a tatter and my gram a crocheter. My mom was into orange tatted doilies in the 70’s and I have one of those. Hmmmm…..

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
Try and turning the center block on point and see how that looks.
Heheh I did like that idea too, but couldn’t figure out how to do with either the EQ program or the Paint program. I’ll have to try it out with the real deal.

Originally Posted by johnnietate1225
Maybe your last name initial in the variegated colors of the leaves? Good Luck and please show us when completed.
Hey Johnnie, my mom was from TN and they called her Johnnie too. Good idea! - I read that monogrammed items are coming back “in” again.

Originally Posted by Ardell
Embroider words on it. such as: "Fall with love and peace".
I would love a wall hanging with that on it.
You’re right Ardell - the botanical border would really call attention to meaningful words!

Originally Posted by Rose Bagwell
What about a Maple Leaf block, or a large appliqued leaf or leaves, perhaps a pumpkin
Ooohhh - A Pumpkin! That would look really great! I adore pumpkins. ;)

Originally Posted by Rann
How about a horn of plenty and some veggies?
VERY Thanksgivingy and a great idea for the Holiday!

Originally Posted by ka9sdn
Really good discussions today--enjoying just reading and learning!
I KNOW ka9sdn! It’s like being a kid in a candy shop! So many wonderful ideas here that I feel twitter-pated! So glad I asked you all for input!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by grammatjr
Your fabric is beautiful! What an amazing garden you must have. It would be such a shame not to offer that for others to buy.

Did you know/remember that you can have custom made fabric, from your own pattern/photo/drawing, etc? I know you offered to seel for what it cost you to print, but if you used a commercial printer, it could be yardage.

There is a member here who made a gorgeous shoe panel. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember the name of the company, but if you Pmd her, I am sure she could point you in the right direction.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_pr...?usernum=16724
Wow - thanks for the nice words and for the “heads up” about the custom fabric! I had no idea… it never even entered my mind that it would be possible. Now I’m wishing I had joined the QB a lot sooner - like before I purchased my printer. ;)
Have I ever told you that every time I see your avatar I smile? Such a WONDERFUL picture! You should get it painted!

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana
The name of a company I have used with great results is: \http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

Quilting fabric is $18/yd if I remember correctly(Samples and FQs are also available) You upload a file to their website and it usually takes less than two weeks. Hope that helps.
Oh My Goodness! Thank you for sharing that! Wowie Zowie!

Maybe you two should post a topic on it - with all the fabric fanatics and creativity here on the QB I bet a lot of people would LOVE to give it a try! I checked out your link EN and am so thrilled! And they carry it further than just printing out your fabric too. They will let you decide if you would like to offer it for sale and give you a 10% commission if they sell it to other people too. They take care of all the expenses in production and shipping and the sales interactions. I have to say, weh I sell things on my own, after expenses I do not make 10%. I count it good if I even make $1 an hour! So that is one super cool website!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 PM

I would just like to see a scatter of appliqued leaves on the white center--the border is so unique that you don't want to distract from it.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:37 PM

Beautiful
Have a Blessed day
Ellen
Old 10-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
Originally Posted by barny
I wonder what it would look like if you put a 1 inch border on the inside block between the leaves and the star in the dark green.
Well Barny - I have to say "It would look better!" Thanks! I did another mock up to see. Maybe I could piece the borders in dark fabrics. I think the largest the center block could be would be 11 inches though. My printer can only print the botanical fabric so big and the corners limit placement.
This, I love!