Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
lost, vanished or stolen ???? >

lost, vanished or stolen ????

lost, vanished or stolen ????

Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 AM

When my DH was in the nursing home for 3 years, his stuff disappeared often. He was casual about it (except for his chocolates) and knew who did it, and often simply rolled his chair there and got his own stuff. There was one older lady who had a habit of going into empty rooms and rummaging through drawers while the owners were watching TV, etc. Every so often the staff would search her chest of drawers and remove all that had other room numbers on them.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:18 AM

The quilt I made for mama stayed with her. But she was in assisted living and not a nursing home. The memory ward of the home had locked doors and restricted access so we did not have to worry about that. Sadly, I got my quilt back a week and a half ago when she passed on to glory. I will cherish it for sure.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:24 AM

SVS this has happened to you. This happens often in nursing homes and they do say to label the item but still there's no guarantee that the item will be returned. I guess it's their way of saying that anything of value is not their responsibility if it's lost, stolen or misplaced. I sincerely hope that you can find it....I feel for you. {{{hugs}}}
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Please let us know if they find it. So sorry.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
When my DH was in the nursing home for 3 years, his stuff disappeared often. He was casual about it (except for his chocolates) and knew who did it, and often simply rolled his chair there and got his own stuff. There was one older lady who had a habit of going into empty rooms and rummaging through drawers while the owners were watching TV, etc. Every so often the staff would search her chest of drawers and remove all that had other room numbers on them.
I worked for an assisted living facility and there was a lady (100 years old) and she was always taking whatever she wanted - even when I took the residents shopping!!! I had to keep a close eye on her. Same with her, every so often the staff would have to go check her room.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 AM

I do agree with fabric whisperer, go in person if at all possible.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM

I also made a quilt for my Dad that he took to the nursing home -- GONE after 2 days. Evidently the laundry services at all nursing homes stink. I'm sorry for your loss, and your Mom's. And those who comment here that things are taken by another patient are right - even Dad's toothbrush came up missing!
Old 04-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Hope your label had your name AND Mom's on it! That will help to prove it is yours!
Old 04-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

oh so sad. sorry to say this does happen a lot. but the more stink you make about this, it may just "show up". good luck.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:39 PM

Go & search out the laundry room - I found several of Mom's things with her name label missing hanging in lost-and-found in that way. I also did a room search once - closet by closet with a nurse along with me, & turned up some of Mom's things in other resident's rooms. Unfortunately, we also suspect a few of her nicer things "grew legs & walked out the door", accompanied by a staff person.
I certainly hope it comes back where it belongs, or I'd be raising a fuss with the administrator of her former location. You put a lot of love & time into the quilt.
Hoping it returns,
Jan