Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots of Stash Questions

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Klue, Do you also print your own fabrics? Someone was just asking and I told them I thought you did.
    yes, i have sent designs out to be printed. i only do this when i want to make a whole cloth quilt and the designs are really large.

these works just look bad when you have to piece together sheets of fabric printer paper so i send it out to be printed.

i've made about 8 quilts this way and 5 of them have been for recording studio's in NY.

Blog Entries
    I just came to realize recently that I suffer from Quiltheimer's disease and its accompanying SABLE syndrome (Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy). .....and yet, I still buy fabric that speaks to me (oh-oh I hear starchy voices - lol) I find that 1 yard is OK for most, 2 yards works well if any fussy cutting is required. 3 yards if I really really like it, 6 yards or 9 yards if it is to be a backing (well, backing +)

I stash my backing fabric separate from the other.

My regular stash is sort of sorted into colors and in those plastic bins (except for the "topic=specific" bins, the scrap bins, the UFO bins, and the overflow on the counter - let alone the projects still in the shopping bag.) aaaarrrggg.

I also do not mark the amount or the price - frankly, when I run out of fabric on a project, I have to get creative with what I got and that works well for me.

I'm a visual person and having my fabric behind closed doors doesn't work all that well. (But that's what I got, and I make it work)

i quilt large quilts, queen +, as well as babies and wallhangings. so if i want to use it for a backing on a quilt unknown, then i buy 9 yds. that's backing + a little extra. if i know what it's for and i want to use it on the front as well, then i get more. otherwise, for stashing, if i really, really love it, must have it and can't live without it, then 4-5 yds. if i just love it, then 3 yds. if i like it very much, maybe 2-3 yards, like it 2 yds. don't like it, none. no fq's. never. but i only ever buy on clearance, not even on sale. either online or at a clearance center near me. and almost always on speculation. if i buy online i look for no shipping over a certain amount of dollars and find that amount or skip it. after a while, you learn what sites have the best prices and wait for their clearances. i never buy baby prints. applique using what i have always does the trick. same with holiday fabrics. i applique or embellish. it takes up a lot less space. if something is say, $2 a yard and i like it, i'll take it all. i also shop yard sales. when i cut into fabric i try to remember to measure and mark the rest of it. i don't mark the cost. it doesn't matter anymore. i don't sell my quilts, and that info would be outdated anyway.

i have a very big stash from years of quilting and sewing. i keep it by color in huge plastic tubs that are overstuffed and i can't see into them. that has to change soon. they were left over from something else. i also have fabric on open shelves and that must change soon. too dusty. i'm thinking of buying glass ikea doors and having dh hang shelves to fit the doors. the ikea cupboards themselves are mostly too shallow.

phew! that's a mouthful!

Power Poster
    Fabriholicism seems to be rampant.

Wonder what the 12 steps would be for controlling it?

Right now I'm more on the enabling side of it.

big, what is a community benefactor?

Just say NO. Fabric has a way ot gaining access to your home, don't purposfully try to herd it in. My goal is to get RID of my stash, buying only enough to finish projects. I've been doing that for almost 3 years, and can't see a dent. Therefore, I'm sure it multiplies in the night.

sv, what is a community benefactor?

i love the 'just say NO' part. hehehe.

Power Poster
    I just noticed there is "community benefactor" under my "name" =
    how do I make it go away?

Include me in the group that never buys fat quarters. Except that I bought two collections from Connecting Threads when they were on sale at 40% off. I haven't used them yet, but think a nice log cabin quillt might come out of them. I buy extra white, black or red Kona when it's on sale. I use black a lot for stripping because it sets colors off so well. Love the Amish look. I too am trying not to buy new fabric since I have so many possibilities in my stash. I love looking at fabric but can't remember the last time I bought something. Oh I take that back -- I bought a piece of fabric to back a child's quilt I finished a couple of months ago. I'm still hand quilting that one. We're renovating our guest room and I have a large armoire (unpainted) that I'm going to paint and use to store all my quilting and sewing stuff. Can't wait to get that done. I'll show pics later this summer when I get it done.
    :lol:
    Linda

Power Poster
    It's hard to resist nice fabric when it's really marked down.

If it was always full price, it would be much easier to just walk on by.

I have a rather large "collection" of textiles-- a nice way of saying my stash is big. I do have fat quarters in two baskets but I make scrappy quilts so these get used. Otherwise I buy in lots of 1-5 yards at a time. White and cream fabric gets purchased in 5-7 yard lots for backgrounds.
    Sometimes I buy fabric online just to buy something--- it's cheaper than shoes and handbags and fulfills my need to shop at the moment.
    I have alot of one yard prints - big, loud, bright- that I use to make surgical scrub hats. (yes, I sell them) So a real mix of things. I have two bookcases of fabric stacked according to color or print type-- sports, animals, etc. And there is some special fabric in a bureau- silk and velvet for the throws I make.
    I wonder what my daughter will do with all this stuff when I pass. She doesn't sew.
    Cheryl

I will usually buy 2 yards if I find a fabric that speaks to me.. and trust fabric talks to me a lot. My MIL and Aunts send me a lot of fabric also so I have a very large stash. I try to color code. In my quilt room I have all my batiks on shelves of their own. I have a 7footx4foot cabinet with glass doors that house all my batiks. large yardage of backing materials are hung in the closet and I have 2 large book shelves that house the rest of the fabrics. I have a dresser in the closet for all the velvets,silks and satins I am saving to do a crazy quilt.
    Now I have 4 large binders on a shelf. I cut a 2 inch swatch from all the fabric I have and staple( if its a FQ I cut a smaller swatch) it to a form I created that has, date of purchase, where and how much and who the manufacture is and how much I have of it.
    (hopefully I have all that information :).
    One day I will scan it all into the computer. Maybe.

If a fabric really calls to me I buy 2-3 yards. If I just like it I will buy a yard. I just started buying fat quarters. E bay has lots of them. I store most of mine in plastic totes. I love to pet it occasionally. That way I kinda remember what I have.

I tend to be wickedly unorganized so... I really try to be somewhat organized in my quilt room. I have shelves that are wooden cases and (3) have adjustable shelves on them. I store the fabric folded and keep the shade drawn so no fabric bleeds. Unfortunatly that room has the beautiful mountain views...truely stunning. I have several cabinets I have picked up at yard sales and I have my books and magazines in there with my rulers and templates, and various odds and ends. I don't have a lot of stuff but I do collect fabric.

I generally buy at least 4 yards of fabric at a time. I used to make tons of quilts for charity mostly for people I did not know. SO I needed a great variety of fabrics to fit lots of different types of people and the specific situation.

I am in the same quandry as to how to know how much fabric I have. I have never found a great way to keep track of that.I know several ladies that ONLY store their fabric in Apple Boxes. I personally would hate that because I love to look at and oooh and ahhh at the fabrics.

I hope this helps you out! Have fun in your quilting!!!

P.S. The next time I buy fabric I will be using Thousands of bolts.com for sure. A friend of mine bought from there and it came beautifully packaged and labled. We were quite impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lyn
    Instead of pinning you might use sticky back note paper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Fabriholicism seems to be rampant.

Wonder what the 12 steps would be for controlling it?
    With me I would be loath to admit that it's really a problem, and that I have it. lol

Blog Entries
    Some of you are truly addicted to fabrics. Not me. I have only purchased
    a few (20 or so) fat quarters, only about 35 yards of fabric and maybe 5 or 6 books. Oh, did I forget to mention this fact: that is what I purchased in May. :oops: My stash is large. Hubby says I can take over the den while I am on vacation this summer. I now have only 1/2 of the room. He just wants his computer and a small tv to stay. I have the big tubs and hate them. Can't find anything, so I have to buy more. :lol:

I have a large stash. Last year I started trying to cut it down by using what I had and only buying what was necessary, then I went on a shop with some friends and went crazy.

I would like to use my stash up and start buying for each project I start. I know this sounds like crazy talk but I have totes of fabric stashed in closets, the garage and even a couple in my storage unit. So my suggestion is---if you haven't started a stash. Keep it small and in control.

Now if I could only take my own advice. lol.

Angie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrys
    I mainly buy fat quarters, so I could have more of a selection. ;) But if it's something I really like, I'll do a half a yard. If it's something I love and adore then I'll get a yard.
    Welcome Chrys, from Connecticut! Please go to the 'Introduce yourself' section if you haven't already. I think you'll enjoy yourself here - we're a friendly group, and I learn something new just about every time I read through a thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stpatday
    I attended an organizing seminar. Clear containers for sorting are best and the size depends on your shelves. I put a paper in the front with a summary of the contents and adjust as used. I prefer to sort by colors and sometimes by collections. My minimum buy is usually a yard. But it depends on the design and desire. I do by collections. When I moved to PA from GA I donated all of my stash to a group. They were very kind to send me pics of their work. Very nice. But here in PA and especially when I have gone to Lancaster Co. I could not resist starting anew. Good luck and have fun. :D
    Welcome stpatday from CT! 2 newbies in one thread! If you haven't already, please go to the 'Introduce yourself' section and tell use about you, like I suggested to Chrys above.

Blog Entries
    I buy fabric very much like Butterfly Wingdoes - usually 4 yds so I have enough for the border lengths of the 'some-day' quilt. I don't like to piece borders. Turns out, it's a good thing now that I'm thinking about Stack N Whack, or One Block Wonders.

I keep backings separate from the rest of the stash, though I often make a special backing using fabrics from the front + muslin or other stash additions. I usually use muslin for Wall Hanging backings.

I have FQs from my 'landscape quilt' days. FQs are now eftovers, because I make very few now. Sometimes use them in Paper Piecing.

I sort by color. I TRY EO REMEMBER to hang muslin covers over my bookshelves full of quilts when I'm not working - not to keep dust off, but to keep the sun from fading the edges. I learned that the hard way. I definitely do it when I leave CT for AZ in the winter. My AZ stash is in a closet behind closed doors.

Oh my gosh where do I even begin with stash. I know I'm addicted to fabric and books, but I think for the last 2 years I've been on a buying binge!!!
    I just came back from being out of town for 5 days and while I was gone I must of bought another 400-500 dollars worth of fabric, books and patterns.
    I have hundreds of fqtrs. but I am finding that I want to buy larger piecesbecause I never have enough for backgrounds or sashing or borders. So I've started buying more 1 yd pieces and larger if I think I want it for background or a main piece in a quilt.

As for storing and organizing it, I have a large 4 shelve unit the only bad thing about this is the shelves are very deep and I would prefer them to be narrower so stacks would not fall over, but otherwise it works great.
    I have 2 of the smaller 3 drawer units like you get at Joann's in my spare bedroom (these are the perfect size for small night stands, just right for a small lamp and alarm clock.... One of these, I have ribbons and odd and ends in the other currently has some of my batiks. I have a large 3 drawer one at the end of my sewing table that has fabrics in it that are set aside for specific projects. I have Another large and small drawer under my sewing table one of these has all my scraps in it, which I've spent part of the last 2 days organizing by widths. 2", 3", 4" etc and in sqs. or rectangles and strips. The other a UFO that has been sitting since this time last year ( yes I know most of you have a few of those as well.)
    I have a bookcase that has all my craft books and magazine in it and another sitting in the garage that I bought at a yard sale that I need to find a spot for. I need to join a 12 step program before I either go bankrupt or have to abandon the house to the stash. HELP!!
    Muriel

Bargains, that is the key word for me. Cannot pass them up.
    Quilt in a Day had 24 fat quarters of her victory quilts fabric for 27 dollars. Who could pass that up?
    Hancock of Paducah sells some charm squares for 3.99, who can pass that up?
    The local quilt shop has coupons for 40% off one cut of fabric and 1.25 for fat quarters, who can pass that up?
    NOT ME.

I am so happy to peruse this thread and read that other people "pet" their fabric stash.

I do that, and my DH thinks I am completely crazy. So I try to do it after he goes to bed!!!

My stash is scattered everywhere in the house that I can think of. The cupboard, the pantry, the dressers. That way, when I want to find a fabric, I have a good excuse to look at all of it!

One of the stores where I shop pins a little paper slip to the fabric, so every time I go there I remove the pin and go ahead and wash the fabric. That way it only needs to be ironed and cut, when I get an inspiration. I'm afraid the pins they use will rust.

Ohhhhhhhh how I love to add to my stash. If I see a fabric I especially have to have, I buy at least 2 yards and sometimes 2 1/2 or 3 if I love, love, love it. My New Years resolution was to use up some of my stash and not purchase anything new. So far, so good. I have only had to buy one small piece to go with the last project I made.

My biggest problem is buying several fabrics that go together well and then I can't find a pattern to "fit them". I usually keep these together in a bag so I know they were especially chosen to go together.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast