Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Love Getting Quilt Related Mail

I just bought a bunch of used "The Quilter Magazine" and I really like the patterns they have in them. Of all the magazines I have seen, this is the one I would recommend. I don't like the McCalls because they have so many patterns that take templates and I don't like working with templates. I don't subscribe to any magazines anymore because of the cost but I will occasionally buy a quilt magazine at Sams Club because theyare discounted. I get good deals on used magazines on SEW IT'S FOR SALE. This waqy I feel I am being "green" and a good recycler :thumbup: Mary

I take apart the quilt catalogs. I tear out the pictures of quilts I like and then I keep them in a big binder with pictures of things that I have pulled off the Internet. I use page protectors to keep them nice. I also use the post it notes (or similar company) tabs to mark the pages of quilts I want to make in the magazines. Makes looking for a new pattern to try less cumbersome. I bookmark patterns, pictures and catalog websites on the Internet also. Keeps me from buying too many more books. I also can "order" books through my library with interlibrary loan from any library in the county and I can check out alot of quilting books without buying. I order over the Internet and just go pick them up.

Oh my yes - it's the highlight of my day when I get a catalog (isn't it a shame that printing costs have gone up so much that most companies are discontinuing catalogs!) or a magazine...heck, even a plea to subscribe to a quilting magazine and they include those little pamphlets ! However, I have finally decided to stop renewing my magazines after I took stock how much I really USE them...maybe a total of 3 patterns from over 500 magazines. Still....I will probably buy one or two at the store and drool over them in the future....

Quote Originally Posted by donnaree59
    Do any of you enjoy getting quilt related mail? I love it! I love any and all catalogs, brochures, anything. I especially enjoy when packages I've ordered come in: fabric, books, magazines, tools... the list goes on! I got in a new book (new to me) today "Quilting with Bits and Pieces". It's for quilts made from scraps... Very nice book; I just couldn't resist since it was on sale. I have more books and magazines than I will ever use, but I still cannot resist a good sale.

Anyway, I was just wondering if I am the only one who looks forward to getting any and all quilting catalogs. Can't order from all of them, but I can sure do a lot of "wishful thinking!".
    Yes, It's like Christmas and my birthday rolled into one.

I am not renewing any paper quilting magazines. I'm subscribing to different sites/boards on the net. Saving trees, reading more, and learning lots. I love the boards/sites on the net. I get all my inspiration there/here.

Blog Entries
    I just signed on for the catalog from Hancock's of Paducah and I just LOVE the website too!

Blog Entries
    I've been a mail junkie since I was a teenager and waited impatiently for letters. I love getting any kind of mail, but especially anything related to sewing. I keep catalogs and quilting mags by my jail and look at them endlessly while watching tv. I mark stuff I want to buy and then rarely do. But it's fun anyway! Guess we're all a little nuts, huh? But we could be crazy in way worse ways! :lol:

I absolutely LOVE IT when one of my magazines arrives. I know we complain a lot on this board about the magazines' content, copyright info, etc., but I still love getting them.

Let me put it this way, my mail person and UPS guy think I am stalking them. Love all the catalogues, magazines and ads but when I know I have a package coming.......! I know the schedule of the mail person and the UPS guy, usually meet them at the curb.

I enjoy American Patchwork and Quilting. This month is Quilt Sampler. It should be available by the middle of the month. They usually focus on ten shops from Canada and USA. Each featured shop does a quilt pattern they designed. Every May and September Quilt Sampler is available.

I got good advice from my Aunt about buying material. Do not buy material because you like it, buy only what you need for your project, or you will end up with lots of material you will never use.

YES, I DO TOO. I HAVE ABOUT 700 BOOKS AND MAGAZINES. I HAVE PROMISED MYSELF TO NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE. I HAVE MY SHELVES FULL, BOXES FULL AND STACKED ON FLOOR OF SEWING ROOM.

I also like getting all the catalogs, even the cooking utensil ones.

Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    I love to get the quilting catalogs! I agree, I can't buy all the books, tools, fabric, etc....but I love to drool over all the yummy patterns and colors. I hate to throw them away. When I crawl in bed at night, I often grab a catalog and flip though then and dream, and plan....and pretty soon, I am sleepy and drift off dreaming of how I could use this fabric or that fabric in a quilt like that.... ;-)
    I do the same thing after I read my daily bible reading. I love getting a new magazine or book, but I always wait to look at it after I get in bed lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Djohnson
    good to know that I'm not the only crazy one. I loce to get quilt stuff in the mail. I have so many magazines that I will never use them all but I keep vying more. I have begun to finish some UFOs. I bought 8 kits when I aaas in Pasucah last and I am foi f again this month so I needed to sew the ones I had so I could buy so e more. also I'm going to Marshalls Dry Goods so I may have to rent a U-haul.
    I went to Marshall Dry Goods Thursday. Five of us in my husbands 4-door truck. We hauled back fabric and batting. My husband went too, he thinks Sharon Thomas (one of the sales persons) is IT. Whatever she shows me he says get it, love that guy.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I like getting quilt related mail. It allows me to daydream and look at all the nice fabrics out there. I too have books and magazines with patterns waiting to be done. But I still take them out and look at them.

Power Poster
    Yes It has been a while since I received one but I sure do enjoy them.

I love getting them too, esp. Keepsake Quilting!

I take McCalls and really like that one. Idon't take Fons and Porter anymore...I love to get related quilting books..just to looks at, of course...

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I love getting my Connecting Threads and Keepsake Quilting and usually love my magazines but I think I'm going to change by subscriptions. Definately getting rid of F&P, and now the new Quilters World was very disappointing. I think maybe McCalls Quilting for next year. Any other suggestions?
    My favorite is Better Homes and Gardens, American Patchwork & Quilting. It has more patterns that I feel I would make and not wonky ones. FYI

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I am so lucky. This spring I reconnected with my college roommate (class of 1972) who is a quilting queen. She's probably "lurking" on this site even now. I told her to hurry up and sign up. Anyway, while helping her clean and set up her quilting room, she offered me all her old magazines, about 4 shopping bags full. I'm in magazine heaven. I'm finding I like the older F&P much better than recent ones. At the stores there is one I'd like to buy, but it's wrapped in plastic, so I can't flip through it. I won't buy it.

I also love getting quilting mail. I am a pattern addict (at least that is what my daughter calls me). I have soooo many patterns and I know that in 3 lifetimes I will never be able to make them all but whenever I see a new unique pattern, I have to buy it and then when it comes it is so exciting to rip open the packaging to get at the treasure inside. I buy a lot of my fabric especially batiks from the US and can't wait till the arrive. I am sure the mail lady thinks I am insane when she delivers a package of fabric. I have also loaded up a cart and then deleted it. I need to win the lottery to be able to afford all the fabrics and patterns I want.

How about getting the Patchwork and Quilting magazine from Australia? The North American Distributors are: Stonehouse publications, Toll Free, 18004611640 you can email :
    [email protected] or Brewer Quilting and Sewing Supplies, Toll free, 18006766543. email address is: [email protected]
    They do have a great lot of different Patterns and ideas. Give them a try.

Anything quilty is always a joy to get. If I order fabric online, I always have it shipped to work as my coworkers like to see what I am getting and look forward to seeing it put together.

Patti

Anything quilty is always a joy to get. If I order fabric online, I always have it shipped to work as my coworkers like to see what I am getting and look forward to seeing it put together.

Patti

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast