Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Love your featherweight? >

Love your featherweight?

Love your featherweight?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM

I have had my red S free-arm for just a month. I started planning the purchase months ago. It was just like preparing to bring a new baby home. I have been busy taking 'parenting classes' in order to best appreciate what all it is capable of doing. So far I've watched Dave McCallum's DVD set. I am registered for an all day hands-on class on the care, maintenance and repair of the FW.
For that class I am driving 400 miles. Also while I am there they are doing a 3 hour hands-on class on the attachments and how to use them. All of them will be demonstrated. I started by reading Nancy Johnson's 3rd edition, Those Fabulous Featherweights. Also I get newletters from some FW groups. The more I learn the more I want to know more, I know that I made the right choice for myself. Mine has a big brother, my 201, that I cherish.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:38 AM

Oh wow!!!! If you don't want it I will take it!! I own two of them one made in 1933 and one made in 1955, I wanted one made in 1954 but apparently there aren't any or none that I have found. I use both of them, they are quiet, make great seams, sew forward and backward, and they are light weight. One of mine has the table that it fits in flat and I have a large area to work in. I was so fortunate as one was given to me by a friend who didn't know what it was and when he brought it to me I could not bear to just let him give it to me so I gave him a quilt and $100.00. The one with the table I purchased for 300.00 only because I let my enthusiasm get away from me when it was being described and I put a price on it they originally only wanted $25.00. None the less I have two gorgeous machines that I use when I go to class or when I want to work in the den where I don't have lots of room. Again congratulations and if you decide you really (lol) don't want the machine I know someone who would say YES and cherish it forever................me.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 AM

If you don't want it, take it long enough to send it to me! My daughter would give it a very good home. I already have one and love it. I also have a hand crank and a treadle for when there's no electrical power.

Reasons I love my FW:
1. it's extremely portable. That's the machine I take to my guild meetings.

2. it was made at a time when quality and workmanship were taken seriously and people took pride in their work. It wasn't made in China!

3. it's way cheaper than the sewing machines sold today.

4. for the majority of the time, you only need a machine that goes forward and backward. Why pay thousands of dollars for stitches that you aren't going to use?

5. it's not run by a computer
Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 AM

I tried sewing on my FW yesterday and it was skipping stitches. I've rethreaded a couple of times and checked the bobbin. Hate to take it to a repair shop if it is an easy fix but I'm not well versed in sewing machine repair.

What to do?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 AM

libber,

I am interested on the class for care and maintenance of the FW. I also own 2 of these beauties and would drive that far for that kind of training.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:47 AM

I have sewed all types of fabric including leather on my featherweight. They are great work horses. A Plus is that you can get parts and the book that shows you how to fix it, if somethig goes wrong!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbeargal
I tried sewing on my FW yesterday and it was skipping stitches. I've rethreaded a couple of times and checked the bobbin. Hate to take it to a repair shop if it is an easy fix but I'm not well versed in sewing machine repair.

What to do?
Donna, did you put in a new needle?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbeargal

What to do?
More than likely it is your needle. Put in a new one (correctly, please!), rethread the top thread and make sure the bobbin is in correctly as well. You will find answers to all your questions by Googling "care of singer featherweights." And, of course, get Dave McCullum's book (see www.featherweightrx.com). This should be an easy fix, so do not despair.

:-P
Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Remember, the flat side of the needle goes on the left (I think :-))

Also, thread needle from right to left (again, I think)

Please correct me anyone if I am wrong. :oops:
Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM

2 suggestions.
1. Call Carmon at April 1930's. www.april1930s.com Carmon is the husband who does all the FW repairing. April the wife is the sewer. Together they are a terrific team. Yes, they are on eBay also.
2. Purchase a copy of David McCallum's Those Fantastic Featherweights. It is a 2 disc DVD with over 3 hours in instruction. Its $59. Very easy to understand, great up close video.