Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lst night I met the Quilt Police! >

Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1943 View Post
Contests and any kind of judging have rules about sizes, labels, etc.
Then label location should be stated in the rules.

I've always put my labels on the lower right hand corner. Maybe because I'm left handed--everything is backwards for me.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I usually lable my quilts on the binding. When I actually use a lable I always put it on the lower right corner of the back, just like signing a letter. Just seems logical to me. Who came up with the lower left corner rule, I wonder!
Yes, but when a lower left corner placed label is viewed by a judge from the front of the quilt (or even as it lies on a bed at home), it IS in the lower right corner like a signature. It's also much easier to read at a downward slant (head tilted to the right) than at an upward slant (head tilted to the left) as it would be on the other side.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
Then label location should be stated in the rules.
And perhaps it was ... I don't believe the OP has responded to the earlier inquiries about just that.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:05 PM

Haha, I love your answer!

I bet if we started listing all of the quilting "rules" we could hit 1000 in under a day.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 AM

Yes, the local equivalent of the quilt police appear this time of year. As long as your quilt meets the published criteria for entry, I wouldn't sweat the label info --they can attach the entry stuff to the lower left corner and as they go through the process it will be there. In the fair i entered a few years ago they asked you to temporarily cover personal info on the quilt label so that judging was on the merits of the project rather than the reputation of the quilter. That was why I had to really keep track of the entry stub for retrieval of my projects. Have fun and enjoy the critiques and comments from the judges.

Originally Posted by quilter1943 View Post
Contests and any kind of judging have rules about sizes, labels, etc.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 AM

Rules, schmules....life is too short to follow rules!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:58 AM

I put my labels on the back where ever I want them. What a crazy discussion to have.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
So, is it the lower left when looking at the quilt from the front or the back? I have never shown anything but on the two I've finished, I've put it on the lower left when looking at the back of the quilt.

Good luck - hope you win something.
I'm following this post...it "sounds" like they mean lower left as viewed from the back, which makes it lower right as viewed from the front, but can someone please verify?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by grammatjr View Post
Last night I (for the first time) turned in quilts to the local county fair.

The woman checking in the quilts gave me this big lecture about the location of my labels. She said it had to be in the lower left corner, so the judges would know which way was up when they hung the quilt.

The label that was on a diagonal really threw her for a loop! I laughed and told her I like to mix things up!

She again explained how if the lable isn't in the lower left corner, they may not know how to hang it up. Now, I was thinking, if they could read the label it should give them a clue (only the 1out of 3 was on a diagonal, the rest were strictly horizontal).

Finally, I just said "well, they are all portraits, so if the kids are standing on their heads, you have it upside down!"

It was pretty funny! This lady is from my guild (I am sure she didn't recognize me), and seemed to be sort of overwhelmed by it all. It took about 25-30 minutes to check in 3 quilts.
After that ordeal - you should get CHOCOLATE!!!! and a LOT of it!! Some people like to follow rules that way they "Do Not Have To THINK" This may be a rule and I know we have to have some rules, but people also need to know how to handle things like this. May be this was the first time she has worked the check in at the fair, so she just wanted to follow ALL of the rules very strictly. With out think of the fact that some people (quilters being a group), are FREE THINKERS. All she had to do was NOT LECTURE and say "next time we would like you to put the label in the lower left corner for quilts that are being judged", she didn't need to make a federal case of it - it sounds like she forgot the three most important things - 1. QUILTING SHOULD BE FUN! 2. FAIRS SHOULD BE FUN!! 3. LIFE IS TOO SHORT - HAVE FUN!!!!! Hope you win!!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
Whew! You handled that better than I would have!!
You & me both! The older I get, the crankier I get... LOL!