Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Machine Embroidry Combined Wtih Quilting

Quote Originally Posted by Grammie Sharon
    What kind of machine do you have to do all this embroidery? Do you use the same one to quilt with too? I would like an embroidery machine and a quilting one but cannot afford two. any suggestions?
    The quilts that I posted were embroidered on a Brother PE-150 that I purchased several years ago at Wal-Mart. All this machine does is embroidery. All of mine were hand quilted ... something else I'm learning! lol

I have used my regular sewing machine to quilt some table runners and table toppers ... made the stitch length as long as possible and straight stitched near the seams. Worked really well when I used old mattress pads for the batting and spray adhesive to temporarily hold in place ... very few pins required.

One thing that I've learned on my machine embroidery journey is the difference between polyester and rayon thread.

Polyester can be bleached and that makes it great for dinner napkins. I have read several places that rayon thread is not as durable and does not need to be bleached. I find little difference in the sheen.

I have used regular sewing thread as well before I invested in a wide variety of thread colors. It tended to create more lint and the bobbin area required more frequent cleaning ... used the compressed air and it worked great.

This was a quilt I made for my cousins 21st birthday. This was my first quilt ever! She loved it!
    Diane
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use mine for embroidery and quilting. lower the feed dogs and start freehand quilting. Which i am also learning how to do lol.

very pretty for a first quilt. Good work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patriciaponder
    One thing that I've learned on my machine embroidery journey is the difference between polyester and rayon thread.

Polyester can be bleached and that makes it great for dinner napkins. I have read several places that rayon thread is not as durable and does not need to be bleached. I find little difference in the sheen.

I have used regular sewing thread as well before I invested in a wide variety of thread colors. It tended to create more lint and the bobbin area required more frequent cleaning ... used the compressed air and it worked great.
    NEVER used compressed air on an embroidery machine. It just pushes the lint farther in and can do serious damage.

So many ideas, so little time! I have 2 lg. boxes of embroidered quilt blocks and am getting down to the end of the white-on-white fabric that I've been using, so will have to start deciding what blocks will go where in theme quilts in order to use the remaining w.o.w. fabric to its best advantage. I've only completed 2 M.E. quilts; the first (attic windows) consists of practice blocks, done when my machine was new. The second is one that I shared with this board (last year I think) before I sent the quilt to a small boy. When my w.o.w. theme quilts are done (at least the tops), I want to make a rose quilt; I have a lot of coordinating rose fabric and lovely rose designs.

Attic Windows
    Name:  Attachment-148478.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  49.9 KB

Patchwork Animals
    Name:  Attachment-148479.jpe
Views: 51
Size:  74.9 KB

Matching Patchwork Pillow
    Name:  Attachment-148480.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  64.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6

NEVER used compressed air on an embroidery machine. It just pushes the lint farther in and can do serious damage.
    I use it all the time. I have had my machines for about 10 years, I always blow from the back to the front like I was told at a sewing machine maintenance class. I have never had a problem.

I just ran across this quilt that I made on the embroidery machine.

"Latte" quilt, made in 2008
    Name:  Attachment-148484.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  56.6 KB

Another thing is to find a nice coordinating motif and embroidery a small strip to use as a border.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I just ran across this quilt that I made on the embroidery machine.
    Oh wow! Awesome. Maybe one day I can do one this great!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6

I use it all the time. I have had my machines for about 10 years, I always blow from the back to the front like I was told at a sewing machine maintenance class. I have never had a problem.
    If you have computerized machines you should never use the compressed air; this came from the repair person. The old machines or non-electronic machines are fine.

The quilts are so lovely! I have the Designer SE. I love to embrodery and am looking for more places and ways to use it. Your quilts have inspired me!

Wow! It's stunning.

Yes, a larger picture would be wonderful!

my husband would love that bama quilt--show us when you get it finished. roll tide

Yes, I've used embroidery on quilts. The first one was for my doctor and it was my very first quilt. The second one I made last year.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin amma
    my husband would love that bama quilt--show us when you get it finished. roll tide
    It's for my youngest son ... bottom row will be like the top row except houndstooth fedora is turned the other direction. I plan to hand quilt and around the large "A" in the middle do several rows echoing the "A".

I also have an Auburn quilt in the works for my oldest son. I'm hoping to finish both this year. I just make it up as I go. One day I might get brave enough to follow a pattern. lol

Quote Originally Posted by sewgray
    Yes, I've used embroidery on quilts, this one was a gift for a friend las year.
    Ooooh! I really like the alternating blocks and the way you put this together. What is the name of that block?

Quote Originally Posted by sewgray
    Yes, I've used embroidery on quilts. The first one was for my doctor and it was my very first quilt. The second one I made last year.
    These are beautiful. You do very nice work.

I have a Melco embroidery machine and I have been quilting my latest quilts with it. Embroidery library has many quilting designs.

Thank you to everyone who posted pictures of their quilts with machine embroidery - I love them!!! You have given me lots and lots of ideas of how to incorporate embroidery into quilts without just putting them block to block. Hope you all don't mind but I saved them all to my personal picture file for inspiration. And for those who might be just getting into machine embroidery, Embroidery Library is a terrific place to find all kinds of designs - and they have sales all the time - great digitizers. (No affiliation - just a happy customer).

Sandy in Mooresville, NC - we had a white Christmas!!

Blog Entries
    Do the embroidary separately and then sew it in. My husband does the digitizing for me.

Baby Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-148902.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  83.5 KB

Baby Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-148903.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  105.8 KB

Peacock feathers
    Name:  Attachment-148904.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  109.8 KB

I have used designs to do the actual quilting, and also for the blocks like in this coffee quilt.

I do alot with machine embroidery and quilting. Check my album and you can see some of my quilts.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/delgart50

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast