Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Embroidry Combined Wtih Quilting >

Machine Embroidry Combined Wtih Quilting

Machine Embroidry Combined Wtih Quilting

Old 12-27-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by patriciaponder
One thing that I've learned on my machine embroidery journey is the difference between polyester and rayon thread.

Polyester can be bleached and that makes it great for dinner napkins. I have read several places that rayon thread is not as durable and does not need to be bleached. I find little difference in the sheen.

I have used regular sewing thread as well before I invested in a wide variety of thread colors. It tended to create more lint and the bobbin area required more frequent cleaning ... used the compressed air and it worked great.
NEVER used compressed air on an embroidery machine. It just pushes the lint farther in and can do serious damage.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 PM

So many ideas, so little time! I have 2 lg. boxes of embroidered quilt blocks and am getting down to the end of the white-on-white fabric that I've been using, so will have to start deciding what blocks will go where in theme quilts in order to use the remaining w.o.w. fabric to its best advantage. I've only completed 2 M.E. quilts; the first (attic windows) consists of practice blocks, done when my machine was new. The second is one that I shared with this board (last year I think) before I sent the quilt to a small boy. When my w.o.w. theme quilts are done (at least the tops), I want to make a rose quilt; I have a lot of coordinating rose fabric and lovely rose designs.

Attic Windows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148483[/ATTACH]

Patchwork Animals
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148484[/ATTACH]

Matching Patchwork Pillow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148485[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-148478.jpe   attachment-148479.jpe   attachment-148480.jpe  
Old 12-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
One thing that I've learned on my machine embroidery journey is the difference between polyester and rayon thread.

Polyester can be bleached and that makes it great for dinner napkins. I have read several places that rayon thread is not as durable and does not need to be bleached. I find little difference in the sheen.

I have used regular sewing thread as well before I invested in a wide variety of thread colors. It tended to create more lint and the bobbin area required more frequent cleaning ... used the compressed air and it worked great.
NEVER used compressed air on an embroidery machine. It just pushes the lint farther in and can do serious damage.
I use it all the time. I have had my machines for about 10 years, I always blow from the back to the front like I was told at a sewing machine maintenance class. I have never had a problem.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:20 PM

I just ran across this quilt that I made on the embroidery machine.

"Latte" quilt, made in 2008
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148489[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-148484.jpe  
Old 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Another thing is to find a nice coordinating motif and embroidery a small strip to use as a border.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I just ran across this quilt that I made on the embroidery machine.
Oh wow! Awesome. Maybe one day I can do one this great!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by grann of 6

I use it all the time. I have had my machines for about 10 years, I always blow from the back to the front like I was told at a sewing machine maintenance class. I have never had a problem.
If you have computerized machines you should never use the compressed air; this came from the repair person. The old machines or non-electronic machines are fine.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:50 PM

The quilts are so lovely! I have the Designer SE. I love to embrodery and am looking for more places and ways to use it. Your quilts have inspired me!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:50 PM

Wow! It's stunning.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:55 PM

Yes, a larger picture would be wonderful!