Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Quilting Unlimited magazine >

Machine Quilting Unlimited magazine

Machine Quilting Unlimited magazine

Old 11-06-2016, 11:19 AM

Lori Kennedy is a great resource for FMQ. Her blog at theinboxjaunt.com has lots of tutorials and inspiration.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:35 PM

I purchased one issue a while back and have gone back to it lots to look at the eye candy. I've been FMQing on my domestic machine(s) for many years, so I can't speak to how useful it would be in terms of basic instruction for someone just starting out, but the one issue I've got has lots of good inspiration in the way of photos and some instruction that would be useful for someone looking to expand on basic skills.

Rob
Old 11-07-2016, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by beckyboo1 View Post
Is it worth buying? I'm trying to get into fmq and want to get my hands on as much info as possible!
While I LOVE Machine Quilting Unlimited magazine, if you're just starting to FMQ, the magazine may be somewhat intimidating at first.

As far as general FMQ knowledge/training/classes, etc., it depends on a couple of things...
1 - are you on a longarm, or a domestic sewing machine (DSM)? I started off on my DSM, and was quickly frustrated by the lack of throat space.
2 - if you're on a DSM, I agree with others that Leah Day has some AWESOME free tutorials for FMQ on DSM.
3 - learn about "muscle memory" - Kimmy Brunner's "Twirly Whirly Feathers", while primarily for longarm quilting, still has some very good instructions on "doodling" your design on paper before you try it on the quilt
4 - are you thinking of meander? fill? ruler-work? feathers? All of these, (to me, anyway), fall under FMQ, as you're not using a stencil/template, or a pantogram or a computer. Yet each of them have different techniques or "mental preparation".
5 - is your focus less on technique, but rather on design? Lisa Calle's "Mastering the Mini - Wholecloth, That Is" DVD is (IMHO) the BEST for learning about drafting your design before you ever take a single stitch.

One of the best ways to experiment and learn is by using a "cheater quilt" (fabric that has a preprinted quilt design on it). Use the preprinted fabric to train yourself to the designs you want create, without stressing over messing up your pieced top. Another option is to get those "pillow panels" - FMQ on them to your heart's content, get the motions down, and then go ahead and use it to make pillows.

The term "FMQ" can be somewhat broad, depending on how that is interpreted, so you need to figure out what it is you want to learn, then find the best teacher for that. Then go from there.

The magazine is a great source of inspiration, but perhaps not the best place for the information you're looking for.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:22 PM

Actually, I need the inspiration too. I've been pouring over fmq websites and have books by Angela Walters, Christina Cammelli and Leah Day's 365 designs book. Thanks Leta, for your information!
Old 11-10-2016, 01:28 PM

I cancelled all my other quilt magazines once I started getting MQU a few years ago. It's the only one I get now. Love it. LOTS of ideas and tutorials.