Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machingers >

Machingers

Machingers

Old 01-25-2018, 09:58 AM

A few years ago a quilt teacher recommended Machingers - which I duly bought - did gasp at the price. On a retreat I needed some and couldn't find them - so rushed to Morrisons and bought a 99pence pair of gardening gloves - worked a treat ! still can't find the Machingers !!!!
Old 01-25-2018, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

My Machinger's don't have any odor at all. Can't figure that poster's problem. Weird, huh?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
A few years ago a quilt teacher recommended Machingers - which I duly bought - did gasp at the price. On a retreat I needed some and couldn't find them - so rushed to Morrisons and bought a 99pence pair of gardening gloves - worked a treat ! still can't find the Machingers !!!!
Mine cost less then $8 at the quilt shop. On Amazon they are about $7, JoAnns they are about $6. I would never pay more then $8 for a pair.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Mine cost less then $8 at the quilt shop. On Amazon they are about $7, JoAnns they are about $6. I would never pay more then $8 for a pair.
Just converted £13.89 and it comes up at $19.60 on Ebay !! Our hobby is quite expensive in the UK. If I researched it further maybe I could find some cheaper.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
Just converted £13.89 and it comes up at $19.60 on Ebay !! Our hobby is quite expensive in the UK. If I researched it further maybe I could find some cheaper.
Dotty, how much would it cost to ship to you? I would be happy to help. I know gloves don't cost that much!
Old 01-25-2018, 12:21 PM

My DH is in a color corps (you know, the guys who march in parades carrying flags) and he gave me a pair of his gloves that he no longer needed. They have the rubber dots on the palms and fingers, and I cut the finger tips off so that I would be able to actually use my hands. So those who can't find the Machingers might look for a shop that sells flags and such; they would probably have the gloves for the color corps.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Dotty, how much would it cost to ship to you? I would be happy to help. I know gloves don't cost that much!
WOW - thank you so much for your very kind reply and I believe ladies with our wonderful hobby around the world are just so generous. To be honest the gardening gloves are absolutely fine and work very well. I don't do a lot of quilting as I have a wonderful lady who is very reasonable with her Longarm Quilting charges and makes a much better job than I can achieve. She has done quite a few quilts for me now - including a Sylvia's Bridal Sampler and a Loyal Union Sampler ( by Jennifer Chiaverini ) - so big quilts ! I could never have been able to do them on my home machine - even though it has quite a big harp space.
Here is a link to my SBS
http://www.amiga.talktalk.net/
Many thanks again and great to talk to you !
Old 01-25-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
My Machinger's don't have any odor at all. Can't figure that poster's problem. Weird, huh?
see that's why I'm wondering if somehow I either got a good knock-off or a bad pair? Cause they have that awful plasticky smell that's so nauseating! I've washed them and no avail. I may have to just chuck them and figure out something else
Old 01-25-2018, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I tried all sorts of wannabe options, because I didn't want to spend the money.
Disposable painters gloves. Finger Cots. Garden Gloves. and More.
But they were never "just right".
Alas! I gave in and bought machingers.

Once I did buy the machingers, I kind of went .....
.......... duhhhhhh, I spent all that money to save money and look at where I ended up!

Oh, but if I had not done that, I would not have experienced the others,
and come to the conclusion that the machingers are THE best!! (for me)
Me too. I have all those, plus some dobie pads with elastic sewn on. None to me work as well as the machingers. Mine don't smell. I washed them by putting them on and using some Dawn and washing like I was doing my hands, then rinsed well and hung to dry. Got mostly clean and kept whatever it is that makes them machingers.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I love Machingers gloves but the smell gets to me! Super comfortable, can wear them for hours but the box they live in stinks to high heaven. trying to decide if I want to look for a better option.
Try storing them with a dryer sheet (such as Bounty). I use these sheets when I store my suitcases, shoes, etc.