Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machingers >

Machingers

Machingers

Old 01-26-2018, 06:26 AM

I got my Machingers gloves on Amazon. Got a large - they are slightly big but work well. Do think they're very helpful and don't have any odor.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:02 AM

I can’t help you with the size. I love my Machingers I don’t FMQ without them. I find my hands and shoulders get
Much less tired when I wear them
Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 AM

I'm so glad this topic came up as I had a "happy accident/light bulb moment" a few months ago. I, too have debated about buying the gloves, but the bulk of them just didn't feel right. I'm in the process of learning and practicing my fmc. So, to my happy accident--honey! Cleaning the counter one day after a honey spill, I touched it first before realizing it was there. It seemed to have as much tack as a sticky note, hmmm...

I mixed up a mixture of about a teaspoon of honey with a little water, a little less than a teaspoon, rubbed it between my palms and on my fingertips until air dry but still sticky, and proceeded to my practice piece. It worked! Just enough tack to keep my hands from sliding, and easy to lift my hands and fingertips from my practice piece.

Pro's: as above
Cons: 1. Everything you touch, especially the hand wheel and the presser foot lifter gets sticky. Solution: Keep a damp washcloth next to the machine to wipe your hands and machine. 2. Allergies: Don't try this if you're allergic to bees or honey. Solution: Mix up a solution of sugar water--equal parts granulated sugar and water, warm until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is clear and the same consistency as the honey water. 3. Bugs. If you live in an area where the sugar attracts insects (I don't), this might not be a good option, or you could mix the honey with either white vinegar or rubbing alcohol, that might be a deterrent, as neither of these will harm your fabric. I haven't tried that.

Finally, I don't know about you, but my hands get very dry just by handling fabric, coupled with living in a dry climate. Don't forget to lotion your hands often, using the damp washcloth makes my hands drier than usual.

If you try this, will you post your opinion?