Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Magazine purchase

Magazine purchase

I went to a LQS - well three towns over - the other day....I am not a frequent visitor, I must admit. So I wandered around just looking at all the lovely quilts displayed, hoping for inspiration.....then a mag on one of the tables caught my eye - Quilts and More...priced 6.99...so I bought it. Looked thru it this morning..some good things, info, etc. I was going to recommend it here, then I looked at the date...... Summer 2016. I'm just wondering....if I buy a mag its from Walmart, JAF, and I know it's recent...I've seen what they do to the outdated ones.......I guess I'm just saying...when buying a mag from a quilt shop check the date...maybe be outdated.

I think it should have been discounted, at that date.

Quilt shops keep their magazines longer than newsstand outlets do, because basically, they are pattern books. The one I frequent will drop them to half price or less if they are a year or so older. Sometimes I've found hard-to-find ones (because a pattern in them got so popular there was a run on back issues), so I'm glad they keep the mags a little longer.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Power Poster
    I think there are two ways of looking at this:

If you liked the magazine well enough to pay $6.99 for it - there must have been something in it that was of interest to you. I think most "single patterns" are more than that now - and who knows how long they might have been on display.

On the other hand, it was "older" - and maybe should have been discounted.

Bottom line: Buyer be aware.

Now if something had been torn out of it, then I would have been "upset."

I think it's pretty common for shops to sell past issues and usually without a discount. However when you look at the cost of the magazine and how many patterns are in it, it's not such a bad buy.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I used to take magazines to my local quilt shop in Colorado and had the ladies there take what they wanted.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I've called the different shops to see if they have the magazine i'm looking for and if it's fully intact, I will pay the posted price. Sometimes it beats having to look all over the net for it then hopefully after whipping out the "card' we get it downloaded correctly if we can download it at all. If one can't be download then you hope they have all your information and you get it within the shipping dates. I don't shop for magazines much. If I want a certain pattern, I will search the internet and often see if I can get it for zip (free download). The only time I've ever gotten a magazine above free is at an estate sale, or thrift store.

Quilt magazines are the best bargain for quilt patterns. With patterns being at least $9 now, even one pattern you like in the magazine is worth the price. I always read the directions first before buying. Many magazines have horrible pattern directions.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

If it had info/patterns/ideas that I liked, I don't think I'd care if it was an older magazine. I go thru the magazines at garage sales looking for quilt magazines with things I like in them. Its worth the price compared to buying individual patterns.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Not all magazines are published every month. Some are bi-monthly, some are quarterly, some only come out once or twice a year.

TBH, if I looked through a magazine and found it to be worthy of $6.99 at the time of purchase, I wouldn't feel a bit cheated if I realized it was a year old. The information in it is still just as valuable, is it not? Besides, sometimes the older magazines are harder to find!

Banned
    Why must everything be "today's news"? Yesterdays had some pretty neat stuff too. It still has the same pages now as it did before you noticed the date.

I picked up a new magazine at Walmart and it was $9.99. So maybe your magazine was discounted already, did you see the price on the magazine ?

I am not complaining about either the price or the date of the mag, I was just a bit surprised that the quilt shop had an outdated mag, just never thought of it, I guess. Well, I did call the shop, had a good conversation with owner and now know that this is their practice. No prob.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Not all magazines are published every month. Some are bi-monthly, some are quarterly, some only come out once or twice a year.

TBH, if I looked through a magazine and found it to be worthy of $6.99 at the time of purchase, I wouldn't feel a bit cheated if I realized it was a year old. The information in it is still just as valuable, is it not? Besides, sometimes the older magazines are harder to find!
    I definitely agree. Magazines are great sources for patterns and I don't care when they were published.

I've taken some of my magazines and donated them to the quilt shop as well. The quilt shop also puts out old magazines for customers to take too, which is nice.

A fabric shop near me has a weird owner. She is not patron-friendly. A young woman asked her about a quilt magazine and she wouldn't even help her to subscribe to it or any other magazine! I took the young woman aside and explained about quilt magazines, where to find them (including libraries). She was grateful and the owner was furious.

I hope I can ask this question here. I am looking for an old quilt magazine called The Quilter Magazine dated January 2004. Any ideas of where I could possibly find it. I'm not real computer savvy, but I have searched, with no results. I'm looking for the pattern Long and Winding Road. It is a bargello pattern. Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaiade View Post
    I am looking for an old quilt magazine called The Quilter Magazine dated January 2004. Any ideas of where I could possibly find it. I'm not real computer savvy, but I have searched, with no results. I'm looking for the pattern Long and Winding Road. It is a bargello pattern. Any help would be appreciated.

I did a quick Google search and found it. It looks like you can buy it here: http://www.bstmarket.com/quilting/th...r_magazine.htm

Blog Entries
    Or you could email the designer and ask to buy the pattern from her. http://www.quiltwoman.com/Patti-Carey-page-5.aspx

I've noticed that before. As long as it has a pattern I'm interested in I don't care when it was printed. My favorite magazine is the old "Quilt" that they don't print anymore. I'm always looking at shows and on the free table for them.

Thank you, Peckish! You're a gem. I did not see this site in my search! I will call them tomorrow.