Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a Colour Wheel >

Making a Colour Wheel

Making a Colour Wheel

Old 06-07-2018, 05:14 AM

Thanks, everyone. Really appreciate all the input.

Watson
Old 06-07-2018, 09:20 AM

Jinny Beyer has a book on color (Jinny Beyer's color confidence for quilters), which provides two pullout versions of color wheels on cardboard. She recommends learning to blend shades so that you get a seamless continuum of color between any two hues. I have never quite grasped her idea of blending. On the color wheel, the primary colors are bridged by the combination colors they create (blue to blue green to green to yellow green to yellow, etc.), and I can easily see how blues bend into blue greens, into greens, into yellow greens, etc.), but I don't quite get how she blends yellow directly into purple. Maybe your library would have a copy of the book.

Color wheels often have concentric rings, with the pure hues on the outside, the next ring being grayed colors, and the inner ring being very dark shades. I think it would be more difficult to make a wheel that didn't segregate the intensities this way.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:50 PM

Here's one: http://www.teachkidsart.net/create-y...color-wheel-2/

and a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYgMbXCwfPM
(there are lots of videos on youtube)
Old 06-07-2018, 01:01 PM

Watson, you are basically making a rainbow in a circle. What colors you use is only limited by figuring out which are true (think primary crayon colorswithout black and brown) and whether or not they are shades (addition of black to the color) or tints, (the addition of white. A basic color wheel only has six colors three primary (red, yellow & blue) and three secondary colors green, oranges &Violet) after that is tertiary colors, between all the other colors. I don’t know the words for the myriad colors you could add between all those colors.. Sorry. Remember You are looking to change colors gradually so they move smoothly to the next color. Here is a nice description of the use of a color wheel.
https://color-wheel-artist.com/primary-colors/
Old 06-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Joen Wolfrom has a color wheel out called "The Essential Color Wheel"

It looks interesting.

If I remember correctly, Joen's basic colors are yellow, magenta, and cyan, instead of the red, blue, and yellow that I learned in elementary school.

I think it would be easier to buy a color wheel than to make one.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:04 PM

This seems like a rather time consuming project that ultimately duplicates what others have already done. You could go to the library and find several books on color theory that would have color wheels in them. In the end you will still find so many other variables in the style, scale and shades of available fabrics, that your choices will be governed more by what you see in the fabric store than what might be available in paint chips.

Something that you might find helpful is a panel put out by Kaufman that has squares of each of the different Kona colors. There are a lot! I got mine from MSQC recently. There are probably other sources.

I've just spent a half hour searching for a great little book of colors that I just realized I haven't seen since our move. I can't remember the title or author, but there are no words, just page after page of different color combinations. It was inspiring as a loose guide to my own reactions, but I could never seem to stick to a plan once I started looking at actual fabrics. Probably that's just me.