Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a quilting log or binder? >

Making a quilting log or binder?

Making a quilting log or binder?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by jdavis
I haven't been quilting that long, but I found that I needed a better idea of how much money I had in a project. I made my own "expense report form" with lines for everything from the pattern or book, right down to the notions. I keep receipts in an envelope stapled to the back of the form, and keep all the forms in a folder. I may never get to the point of having a quilt appraised, but if/when that happens, my records should help.
This is a very dangerous idea--if my husband EVER found out how much I really spend on quilting----well, let's just say, he is better off kept in the dark, for now. :lol:
Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Quiltncrazy,

One thing I do for color combos is to pick up paint swatches at Home Depot or Lowe's. They are free and often contain many colors of the same family. It makes it so easy to visualize what goes with what and see different tints. Then all I have to do is find the color value I want and go from there. I tend to go with bright vibrant colors and my Lovely Lady goes for more traditional combinations. We compliment each other quite well. I'm way left of center and Linda is much more balanced and she enjoys my sick and twisted sense of humor.

We only have two addictions quilting and food, and we don't keep track of expenses.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia
This is a very dangerous idea--if my husband EVER found out how much I really spend on quilting----well, let's just say, he is better off kept in the dark, for now. :lol:
So true, so true!!!! If my DH knew how much dough I spent on fabrics, he would have a conniption! Right now he thinks my hobby is making something from nothing. Hah!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by motomom
So true, so true!!!! If my DH knew how much dough I spent on fabrics, he would have a conniption! Right now he thinks my hobby is making something from nothing. Hah!
:D For the longest time, I would not buy fabric less than one yard. One time I needed just a sliver, and DH (who is my staunchest supporter) said in a bewildered voice: I didn't know you could buy less than a yard?

Fortunately, I can counter the "how many sewing machine does one woman need?" with "how many saws does one man need?" lol
Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jdavis
I haven't been quilting that long, but I found that I needed a better idea of how much money I had in a project. I made my own "expense report form" with lines for everything from the pattern or book, right down to the notions. I keep receipts in an envelope stapled to the back of the form, and keep all the forms in a folder. I may never get to the point of having a quilt appraised, but if/when that happens, my records should help.
I was too embarrassed to say, until I read your reply...I have two spiral notebooks, with every receipt since 2005....on second book, and up to page 233 in that one. Has a description of fabric, amount, date, and if an * it means, purchases were made on a day I had an appointment.
Why? I don't know, except I wanted to see how much went into projects. All my fabrics have a piece of masking tape on selvedge with info, that will take me to page in one of those two books, to record what project fabric went into....and how much, in case of leftovers. Compulsive, but I have gotten better. It's also a great blackmail tool, lol, but hubby goes in cave once in a while, and he knows I have fabric and tools, up to ceiling, wall to wall, so, ain't fooling nobody :wink:
Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cookn
Quiltncrazy,

One thing I do for color combos is to pick up paint swatches at Home Depot or Lowe's. They are free and often contain many colors of the same family. It makes it so easy to visualize what goes with what and see different tints. Then all I have to do is find the color value I want and go from there. I tend to go with bright vibrant colors and my Lovely Lady goes for more traditional combinations. We compliment each other quite well. I'm way left of center and Linda is much more balanced and she enjoys my sick and twisted sense of humor.

We only have two addictions quilting and food, and we don't keep track of expenses.
whoa, you'll read my second reply, before you see this one...we really do have a lot in common, Cookn. I use the paint cards too. In fact, took some to my daughter, bc she wants her quilt to be a 'certain' color of what she was calling fuschia.
When she saw fuschia paint card, "no, it's a little darker than that",...ends up, 1 - about the same color she picked for her daughter's quilt, and 2 - I got a what I call a tonal (?), differernt shades in that realm, so there's bound to be the right shade in there.
I love this color also, so will end up making 3 quilts, eventually, with different themes, but not all that far apart.
Linda sounds like a good fit for you. Opposites and all that. Glad you guys agree, on monetary stuff. Makes for a much happier relationship, when you don't have all that in the way. Don't think we ever type-talked before, nice meeting you Cookn. You seem, LOL, like an interesting person, to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by motomom
:D For the longest time, I would not buy fabric less than one yard. One time I needed just a sliver, and DH (who is my staunchest supporter) said in a bewildered voice: I didn't know you could buy less than a yard?

Fortunately, I can counter the "how many sewing machine does one woman need?" with "how many saws does one man need?" lol
LOL, I got my hubby dead to rights, about his workshop for sure. He has a lot of money in it! Lots of creepy crawlies too, so I don't go in his, "MAN CAVE"...he doesn't call it that, but he calls mine a cave...his is more like...enter at your own (neck) risk! At least you can walk around my tables, etc. :D
Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 AM

For my birthday a couple yrs. ago, my sister (who is a scrapbooker) gave me a scrap book. She had decorated the front beautifully and gave me paper and embellishments to do my quilt scrapbook. I had a wonderful time taking pictures of all my quilts in different settings, then choosing which I wanted to use. I also took pictures of just special parts of the quilt, such as a flower or a special block and cropped or enlarged them, then cut them out for embellishing. Of course, there was also a place to journal about the quilt on each page. I love looking at it and just keep adding as my quilts get done. I'm not a scrap booker and haven't done one since, but had a ball doing this one.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Here's the one I have been looking at getting ....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.alwaysquilting.com.au/ThreadsOnline/images/Journal.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.alwaysquilting.com.au/Thr...I-Ez2Y7HfWfimM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=136&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dquilt%2Bjournal%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den
Old 04-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ronda
For my birthday a couple yrs. ago, my sister (who is a scrapbooker) gave me a scrap book. She had decorated the front beautifully and gave me paper and embellishments to do my quilt scrapbook. I had a wonderful time taking pictures of all my quilts in different settings, then choosing which I wanted to use. I also took pictures of just special parts of the quilt, such as a flower or a special block and cropped or enlarged them, then cut them out for embellishing. Of course, there was also a place to journal about the quilt on each page. I love looking at it and just keep adding as my quilts get done. I'm not a scrap booker and haven't done one since, but had a ball doing this one.
Wow, that sounds like such a neat idea. I am always drawing quilt ideas, etc., so with all my info, why not pretty it up a little? Will be a nice keepsake for daughters or granddaughters, down the road. :D