Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Sandwiches ... the Quilt Kind!!!! >

Making Sandwiches ... the Quilt Kind!!!!

Making Sandwiches ... the Quilt Kind!!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
DublB ... thanks for the added info. I think I'll be doing it on my design wall, which will let me use the pins. I'm nervous about it though!
Let us know if it works for you.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 AM

When I have a big quilt to sandwich I lay it on my king size bed and that works for me.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 AM

I seen this on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNy...feature=relmfu It works good I made two board from the door frame we had out side . We been redoing are house so I was luck but it work on my big quilt I done 2 for a queen bed that was very big check it out
Old 01-27-2013, 04:59 AM

I have a purpose bought table like a big old country kitchen table really heavy all wood and it is perfect for sandwiching then sometimes I have the dinning room table going as well
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 AM

Never tried sandwiching on the wall but seems like it would stretch from the weight and be hard to get smooth but I am fairly new to quilting. I sandwich on a large table or the floor.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 AM

I call the local library and ask if they have a room free and I go there and put several tables together and spray baste the layers together. I have also gone to my church and done the same. In a pinch I assemble on the top of my king size bed.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I use my glass topped dining table and move it around until it is all done. I use clamps from Home Depot. I have a folding table I could and have used. I have big plastic saw horses I have used to make table longer. Most times I just use the table. I make lots of quilts and just the table works great for me.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 AM

granny 70......I am reading this very carefully as the sandwiching is the bain of my quilting life. I send out small quilts that I could certainly quilt if I could sandwich them. I'm really curious about the sandwiching on the bed system. I can't get on the floor anymore and I do love the spray basting. Could I do this on the bed? How does one keep the fabric tight?
QuiltE......I can't imagine doing this on the wall unless a very small quilt. As someone said, it will stretch and won't the basting spray get on the floor? You must let us know your results......PLEASE....
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 AM

I have 3 folding banquet tables from Lowes, and use how ever many I need for the size of quilt - usually not more than 2 since that's all the farther I can reach (30") and the rest of a large quilt hangs off the sides without being on the floor. I start pinning in the middle and work out, so this works well for me. In between uses the folded tables are only about 4" thick so can lean against any wall and are out of the way. I lean mine against the garage wall, but they could go between the back of a sofa and the wall.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 AM

Years ago, I pinned quilts on our carpeted floor. There was enough space and I could pin the backing to the carpet first. But we no longer have carpeting, and it's difficult to get down to the floor now.

Then I pinned quilts on our king size bed. The best place, though, was the community room at the library, where we could push three tables together.

Then I tried the spray basting. The first quilt I spray basted was on our kitchen counter/bar. The overspray went everywhere, the counter, the floor, everything was sticky. It took at least 6 months to clean it up. The second quilt I spray basted, I did on our deck. I figured overspray would be less of a problem outside, but I still had to get down on the deck. The third one I did on tables pushed together. That worked best.