Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Sandwiches ... the Quilt Kind!!!! >

Making Sandwiches ... the Quilt Kind!!!!

Making Sandwiches ... the Quilt Kind!!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Could you hire village all room church with large tables for an hour to sandwich there or if you go to classes is there room there to use before after or during meetin
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
granny 70......I am reading this very carefully as the sandwiching is the bain of my quilting life. I send out small quilts that I could certainly quilt if I could sandwich them. I'm really curious about the sandwiching on the bed system. I can't get on the floor anymore and I do love the spray basting. Could I do this on the bed? How does one keep the fabric tight?
QuiltE......I can't imagine doing this on the wall unless a very small quilt. As someone said, it will stretch and won't the basting spray get on the floor? You must let us know your results......PLEASE....
Take a look at the video ... I think she has answered those questions well.
I'll start with something smaller first to see how I feel about it.

I am fortunate that I have a huge design wall ... and would use so I could pin for stability. Things stick to mine pretty good, though I would still pin when doing this, to be sure it stays still and straight.

DottyMo ... as mentioned above, the churches and/or community rooms here either do not allow this or are very expensive to rent. So I don't have that option. Wish I did and envy those who do!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 AM

My bed happens to be pretty high so I use it. I can pin the top and one side to the bedspread or to the mattress if it happens on wash day. I pin the lining all around the bed, add the batting then the top. Because the lining is straight with the mattress I start on that corner with the top. I pin with safety pins all the area I can reach from on side the move everything over to get the rest of the quilt up where I can finish pinning. Works great for me.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
I do spray basting on the wall in the garage and hubby staples each piece of the sandwich as we put it up. It works great and taking out the staples is a no brainer. The holes that are left on the edge of the quilt will be cut off anyway, so that's not a problem either. Love 505 spray basting.
Love the garage idea! Especially because door can be left open - I always worry about inhaling aerosales.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by helenquilt View Post
My bed happens to be pretty high so I use it. I can pin the top and one side to the bedspread or to the mattress if it happens on wash day. I pin the lining all around the bed, add the batting then the top. Because the lining is straight with the mattress I start on that corner with the top. I pin with safety pins all the area I can reach from on side the move everything over to get the rest of the quilt up where I can finish pinning. Works great for me.
I like the sound of this! I've tried using the bed, as one of the few reasonable sized spaces in my house, but I'd never thought of pinning the backing to it. Duh. Clever. I'll give it a go, as getting a wrinkle-free backing is one of my biggest problems when sandwiching a quilt.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 PM

I like to use my Queen sized bed then spray baste. I don't have to bend over so far and it is larger than a table, knees are shot for work on the floor.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM

Just this week I tried wall sandwiching.......I really liked it and it was so much easier. Pinned the backing to my design wall spray based the batting and then sprayed the front on. Was done in no time at all and everything went great while I was quilting. Am going to try more this way.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 PM

My quilts are quilted by haqnd. So, I use 1" X 2" X 8' boards (4 of them) with denim or sturdy fabric attached with tacks or small nails and 4 C clamps. Have a set of4 old chairs that I place the boards in a square and secure with the C clamps. To these I pin the backing and spray, place batting and spray and place top and pin all again to boards. I have used this method over 50 yrs. It works for me.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 PM

I use Elmer's glue and spread it on tables at church. We have quilt group every Wed. morning, so I always try to get glue basting done while I'm there with the tables. If I glue one Wed. morning and leave it there until Wed. night service, it's dry and ready to go! Elmer's glue is my new BFF!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
My quilts are quilted by haqnd. So, I use 1" X 2" X 8' boards (4 of them) with denim or sturdy fabric attached with tacks or small nails and 4 C clamps. Have a set of4 old chairs that I place the boards in a square and secure with the C clamps. To these I pin the backing and spray, place batting and spray and place top and pin all again to boards. I have used this method over 50 yrs. It works for me.
This is how my DM quilts. My DGM quilted this way too.