Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking System to Award Ribbons? >

Marking System to Award Ribbons?

Marking System to Award Ribbons?

Old 09-15-2016, 03:57 AM

I entered a couple of quilts at our local County fair this year. This is the first time I got a critique sheet on the judging. They had a point system; whereby, they started with a number and added or deducted points from that starting number. For example, if you made the top only (had it machine quilted by a longarmer) they deducted 5 points. If your binding was done nicely, they added 3 points and so on. I liked that as you knew what you could improve on. I felt it was quite accurate in the judging.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:15 AM

I have worked for a local county fair here and have witnessed the " judging". The judges are local home ec teachers, who have been judging here for years, I had gathered from conversations. I did notice many discrepancies in decision making of 1st, 2nd, 3rd.......also saw if only one entry in a category-example, sampler, badly constructed, automatically got 1st---wrong in my mind, and I stated that, but was told have to give ribbon in every catagory-worthy or not...so I will not work the fair anymore, and will not enter quilts in that fair either.....I don't know the qualifications of any of the other judges in the other sections.......cross stitch, crochet, etc. just another learning experience.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

huh. i thought first came first, then second and third. can't see how not. new math!
Old 09-15-2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by marietta View Post
So... What qualifies you to be a "qualified judge" ?
For years, the National Quilting Association had a certified judge program. I checked into the requirements because I thought it would be an interesting thing to do, but the requirements were too extensive for me. Anyone who is a "certified judge" has definitely earned the title. Some shows will only use certified judges while others will use quilters with an extensive history of making quilts and I'm sure these could be considered as "qualified" judges.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
For years, the National Quilting Association had a certified judge program. I checked into the requirements because I thought it would be an interesting thing to do, but the requirements were too extensive for me. Anyone who is a "certified judge" has definitely earned the title. Some shows will only use certified judges while others will use quilters with an extensive history of making quilts and I'm sure these could be considered as "qualified" judges.
Seems like I remember at the Paducah show they were offering this certification to those who took the course for it and paid the big bucks.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:26 PM

I have had no experience in quilt shows and judging of such. However I tend to think the best quilt in that category should be marked first place even if not perfect. Especially if the results are just local and do not move you on to another competition. I have never been to a track meet for example when the first person to cross the line was told he was too slow to deserve first. ��
Old 09-15-2016, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Skhf View Post
I have had no experience in quilt shows and judging of such. However I tend to think the best quilt in that category should be marked first place even if not perfect. Especially if the results are just local and do not move you on to another competition. I have never been to a track meet for example when the first person to cross the line was told he was too slow to deserve first. ��
Very well said. If you feel that a quilt wasn't good enough for first, enter your own in that category next year.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:55 AM

I tend to agree with the idea of if the quilt is not First Place worthy...why award one as such. There has to be standards and criteria to win.
Sandy