Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Material needed >

Material needed

Material needed

Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

If you are using a printed pattern - or one designed by someone else - just "their" requirements and go from there and tell "whoever" that this is what is needed.

Have you made a "practice one" to make sure it will work?

I think 3-1/4 yards is going to be skimpy - especially if the fabric is less than 45 inches wide (after washing)

Are you able to go with any of these mothers and/or students when they go shopping? Is this mother looking at the most expensive fabrics available?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

Have them get a twin sheet at walmart for the back $5. See if that makes them happy.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I would not argue either. I would ask her to come in and show me how she can make it large enough with 2 yards. She won't be able to...
Good thinking, Sadie Mae!
Instead of accusing and complaining, that woman should thank you for using your skill to enrich her child's life and education. But as Judge Judy often says, "No good deed goes unpunished." :( Usually when I buy fabric, I have to square it up on both ends, losing a few inches. My thinking when I'm buying fabric for a project of any kind is, "Buy plenty. I can always use the extra, if there is any, to make something else." Most of us know the aggravation and problems of running short of fabric and not being able to find more of what we need.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

I always err on the side of a little extra for making a quilt. I've been doing quilts for quite a while and accidents happen. If they have extra left, you could supply the pattern for a matching pillow or pillow case?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:07 AM

I agree with everyone on the board. Tell her to suck it up and bring what you need. I do not think that it is to much fabric. Have you tried to go like Joann's and see if you can get a school discount so that you can buy the whole bolt of material or maybe two colts?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by memepat
It sounds like mom and the Joann's employee have never quilted and do not understand how the yardage is being used. Poor child...
And let me get this straight...these moms are also homeschooling?? This sounds more like a math lesson and I think the moms need to attend also! And they are going to teach high school math????
Old 10-29-2011, 11:16 AM

I buy 10 yards to back a queen. FYI

Originally Posted by Plumtree
Thank you. They are supplying the fabric for the top as well but only the back fabric is being questioned. It is her friends and someone at joanne's that told her that would be enough to back a king.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 AM

You might want to leave it the same size, which seems to me to be a perfect first cuddle up in quilt.
Maybe the mother is complaining so loudly because she can not afford the fabric and a future fabric stash might be an idea to consider?

Thank you all, glad to know I am not out of my mind here. Math is not my strong suit so when mine gets questioned I get nervous.
I will not change the pattern because I would then have to change it for the rest of the class, which isnt' fair to me or the girls that have all ready purchased fabric. I realize now that this lap quilt will be a bit big and the next group it will be sized down a bit, I'm learning too. I just didn't like the way I felt after reading this email and wanted to make sure my math and thinking were on the same path.

Happy Quilting
Tammy
Old 10-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grandma58
You might want to leave it the same size, which seems to me to be a perfect first cuddle up in quilt.
Maybe the mother is complaining so loudly because she can not afford the fabric and a future fabric stash might be an idea to consider?

Thank you all, glad to know I am not out of my mind here. Math is not my strong suit so when mine gets questioned I get nervous.
I will not change the pattern because I would then have to change it for the rest of the class, which isnt' fair to me or the girls that have all ready purchased fabric. I realize now that this lap quilt will be a bit big and the next group it will be sized down a bit, I'm learning too. I just didn't like the way I felt after reading this email and wanted to make sure my math and thinking were on the same path.

Happy Quilting
Tammy
If she cannot afford it she should be honest and say that!
Old 10-29-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by SUZAG
Originally Posted by memepat
It sounds like mom and the Joann's employee have never quilted and do not understand how the yardage is being used. Poor child...
And let me get this straight...these moms are also homeschooling?? This sounds more like a math lesson and I think the moms need to attend also! And they are going to teach high school math????
:thumbup: