Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Material needed >

Material needed

Material needed

Old 10-29-2011, 01:21 PM

[quote=Plumtree]Thank you all, glad to know I am not out of my mind here. Math is not my strong suit so when mine gets questioned I get nervous.
I will not change the pattern because I would then have to change it for the rest of the class, which isnt' fair to me or the girls that have all ready purchased fabric. I realize now that this lap quilt will be a bit big and the next group it will be sized down a bit, I'm learning too. I just didn't like the way I felt after reading this email and wanted to make sure my math and thinking were on the same path.

Happy Quilting Tammy

Does this mother quilt? I doubt that she does. Maybe you should invite her to come and assist you in the class to get the idea of how much material is actually needed. But then she would probably hold you back by trying to direct your class. Sorry you are having so many problems..maybe next time you need to make up a kit and tell them it costs X amount of $$ for the supplies and it will be the same cost for everyone.
Good luck..crafty_linda_b
Old 10-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b

Does this mother quilt? I doubt that she does. Maybe you should invite her to come and assist you in the class to get the idea of how much material is actually needed. But then she would probably hold you back by trying to direct your class. Sorry you are having so many problems..maybe next time you need to make up a kit and tell them it costs X amount of $$ for the supplies and it will be the same cost for everyone.
Good luck..crafty_linda_b
I wouldn't invite her into my class!!! Some parents are better off kept at a distance...
Old 10-29-2011, 01:50 PM

No, you don't want her at the class. Without being there, she is already causing far too much trouble! There is almost always someone who know more than the teacher! Stick to your guns!
Old 10-29-2011, 01:53 PM

That's not too much at all. I would have asked for at least 4 yards.....She's not looking at the 108" wide backing fabric, is she???
Old 10-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I'm trying to figure out how you will manage with just 3 1/4 yards. (I'm serious - how are you going to do it???)

Tell the woman you did make a mistake, and you really need 4 yards. :twisted:
Old 10-29-2011, 03:43 PM

I had a fabric store person tell me I wouldn't even need half of what I thought I needed but went ahead and got what I thought. Boy am I glad I listened to MY inner voice as I used pretty much all of it.

Maybe if you do again next year talk to the owner or manager of a fabric store and see if your class can get a discount there. Explain that this class teaches how to make a quilt and by getting your class interested in this craft they stand to benefit if any in the class wishes to continue quilting. You might also want to meet with all the parents before your class starts and explain to them the requirements for the class with a list to go home with. Let them know IF you will allow a sheet for the back if they want to save some money (if you don't want to allow it then don't mention) but all items on list are what you believe to be the min. amounts of what they will need and are not open for debate. If they wish to buy more to be on the safe side let them know that is ok but not less than what is listed. Give them an estimate of the price per yard but make sure to let them know it is an estimate and not the actual price. Maybe ask at the store for the price range so the parents have an idea.

As for this parent, I would tell her that the way you are having the class make their quilts requires the amount of fabric you listed and all students will be doing theirs the same way. If she wishes to make her own quilts with less she should feel free to make her own that way at home but this class won't and you would hate to see her child hurt if his/her quilt didn't turn out well if she/he didn't have enough. If she argues that the store clerk said the other amount should be enough tell her the store clerk doesn't know how you are having the class make this quilt. If that doesn't work maybe offer to let her teach it next year.

Good luck hope it all works out. Hope you can put pictures up here just make sure you ask the parents for permission if you do put their children's pictures up with their quilts.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by Plumtree
It is her friends and someone at joanne's that told her that would be enough to back a king.
Seriously?! I would tell the mom that you are using the pattern that requires X amount which may allow for a small mis-cut. If she thinks that her kid can get it done with less, then you can't be held accountable when the project goes flop. A King Size takes what - 7-9 yards?
Ditto :thumbup:
Old 10-29-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by memepat
It sounds like mom and the Joann's employee have never quilted and do not understand how the yardage is being used. Poor child...
Ditto
Old 10-29-2011, 04:34 PM

Since you are teaching, just give them the measurements and the amount needed. It is their choice to use this information wisely or not. If she is misinformed by others you cannot help her with that. It is the child who will be embarrassed if the parent fails (sigh). You have done your best and further explanations will reap no positive results. Good luck and know that there is always one adult like this in every group (smile). Kudos to you for teaching beginner quilters.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Tell the mom to send what she thinks it is the right amount and let her fix the problem when it doesn't work. Quilting is supposed to be FUN.