Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
McKenna Ryan Quilts >

McKenna Ryan Quilts

McKenna Ryan Quilts

Old 05-29-2015, 04:49 PM

I like raw edge appliqueing and using a blanket stitch also.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:01 PM

I have done some of her quilts too. I did a Back at the Farm as a block of the month in a class. I love her stuff.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:33 PM

I've made 2 of her patterns. The 1st one was a Santa in a sleigh with reindeer pulling it. I used fusible web with my own fabrics. There were so many small detailed pieces, it was kind of a pain cutting them all out. I FMQ'ed around each piece using matching thread. Then I made one of the really small quilts using a kit with the laser cut pieces. It was nice because the pieces all had fusible web on them already. I also did the FMQ around all the pieces, changing thread colors to match the pieces. Both turned out cute and they were pretty fun to do.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 PM

They're beautiful quilts! I've found that it's easier to stitch all those little pieces down with free-motion.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:28 AM

My friend makes a lot of those quilts and she has no problem with them, maybe it is just what you get used too. I have never even bought one, as I am a chicken, although I think they are beautiful.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I made a bed quilt for my Grandson from an older pattern of hers. I enlarged the design and fused, then satin stitched the edges of the items in the design, just to make sure it held. As far as I know, it has held up. Haven't heard any complaints.
This is what I do also. I enlarge the pattern and satin stitch. The quilts go through the washer and dryer just fine! Out and About (with the bears) was a raffle quilt. Sea Breeze sold and the Market Basket is not yet finished.
Attached Thumbnails flowers-020-blog-ready.jpg   high-fiber-064.jpg   high-fiber-052.jpg  
Old 05-30-2015, 04:28 AM

I'd been collecting patterns for years for raw edge applique. I've seen McKenna Ryan do her thing on t.v. and I love the cuteness of her creations. I particularly like the bird & birdhouse blocks. None of her stuff is priced to fit my budget.

Finally last year I did my first fusible/raw edge creation; the quilt is very cute and turned out well, but I was shocked to find that I HATE the process ... everything about it. I'll just stick with needle turn applique from now on; I love to do that.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:51 AM

I much prefer the needle turn applique-maybe 'old school'. However, I am just finishing a quilt for a grandson that has raw edge applique motifs. I used the machine to blanket stitch around them. I hope they stand up in the wash-I am a bit apprehensive to wash it after I finish the quilting.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:12 AM
KLO

I too love Ryan's patterns and have made several with several more in the queue. I also straight stitch the edges down using clear thread after fusing with Warm Company Steam-A-Seam 2 Lite. I think the process is either one you love or hate because the cutting can be intense with all those points and valleys to cut although being super accurate is not necessary with tree branches and the like. For some unknown reason, I like it a lot but then I love her nature patterns and know I could never applique those pieces any other way. I also have BigFork Bay Cotton Co. patterns (now out of business) that I am working on. I was lucky to find two of them as kits at a very good price. Kits can be very expensive especially when using batiks as those fabrics in general are pricey. The quilt world has something in design or technique for everyone's taste and I think that is so great.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:14 AM

I have done one of her patterns. I got it from Hancocks of Paducah. It has the best pricing on her kits. I was short one color and they sent it right away. The pattern was for my daughter's wedding. Yes its lovely but an awful lot of work. It is only an art quilt not meant to be used especially since she has two large dogs that think the bed is for them.