Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
McKenna Ryan Quilts >

McKenna Ryan Quilts

McKenna Ryan Quilts

Old 05-30-2015, 07:19 AM

outta my price range too!! You can usually go to your scrap box and find just what you need for each piece of applique. You'll be surprised with what you can come up with!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:18 AM

I remember seeing a pattern of hers in a magazine. I just checked and it was F&P's magazine. If she was on their show, they usually have the person's pattern in their magazine. Here is the info: http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...onal_Art_Quilt
Old 05-30-2015, 08:43 AM

I have done a wall quilt that I was not happy with but my husband loves it. It needs more quilting. I was not happy with one of the shapes but overall it was a good pattern.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:34 PM

If you can't/don't want to blanket/straight stitch each piece of fusible, then you need to make sure that you quilt each little piece. Fusible isn't forever and it needs the stitching to keep it in place. To get precise placement of each piece of fusible, use quilter's plastic (inexpensive at Joann's) and a fine-point Sharpie to draw the pattern out on...place the plastic over the design to make sure that you have placed each piece perfectly before pressing each piece. Slow, yes, but it does create perfect placement of each piece. I am working on a fusible applique quilt for my bed right now and since it is ash gray for the backing fabric, I know I will be washing it often. I did blanket stitch around each piece. You can see a picture of the top here: http://farmquilter.blogspot.com/2015...-finishes.html
Old 05-31-2015, 05:15 AM

This was the FIRST quilt I ever made- so just have patience and it will be fine! I used steam a seam 2 also, and blanket stitched every piece. I did some thread painting, too. I was fortunate enough to buy my fabric from my LQS at 40% off, and it was McKenna's line she designed for the pattern. It was so much fun!! The fabric does have a nice tight weave, but if you have larger pieces, I did use the interfacing method, too. It has been washed several times as my Aunt that it was gifted to , has a large long haired cat. I did purchase McKennas Bella Garden kit that I found a small sale on, but they are VERY pricey. If you but your own fabric, I suggest printing off the original samples from the Manufacturers web site to mimic them as closely as possible.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:10 AM

I did one of her quilts and it is a wall hanging. I love it, love it, love it. It does take patience but well worth the time. A couple of tips: 1) do sew the pieces down (I did mine with FMQ and I would suggest that you do them one block at a time.) 2) If you plan on having your quilt quilted by a long-arm quilter, you may HAVE to sew your pieces down. 3) Do use a pressing sheet. It was essential for me and it works great. You can fuse your pieces down (together) and then lift them off and press them to your fabric background.

I made several errors, but I don't think anyone but me could ever find them. Believe me, you will love your quilt when it is finished. This is mine "At Home in the Woods":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521160[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cimg3081.jpg  
Old 05-31-2015, 10:38 AM

I bought one section of her Moonshadow quilt. Now I need to make it. I love her quilts. At my old LQS, one of the gals used to make her quilts.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:24 AM

Her quilts are beautiful but kits and patterns are way too expensive for me.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:46 AM

All of the raw edge applique patterns that I have seen call for some sort of decorative stitch (buttonhole) to secure the pieces. I have used mine on the bed as have those that I have gifted. It is my favorite piecing method. And they have all held up beautifully.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:13 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
I did one of her quilts and it is a wall hanging. I love it, love it, love it. It does take patience but well worth the time. A couple of tips: 1) do sew the pieces down (I did mine with FMQ and I would suggest that you do them one block at a time.) 2) If you plan on having your quilt quilted by a long-arm quilter, you may HAVE to sew your pieces down. 3) Do use a pressing sheet. It was essential for me and it works great. You can fuse your pieces down (together) and then lift them off and press them to your fabric background.

I made several errors, but I don't think anyone but me could ever find them. Believe me, you will love your quilt when it is finished. This is mine "At Home in the Woods":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521160[/ATTACH]

This is the same quilt that I made and I too love it! You are right about any little mistakes, they just don't show up as the pattern is fairly flexible when it comes to cutting and placing. Wish I had sewn them down one block at a time too as it certainly would have been easier. Ryan does have suggestions on her website as to how to make her patterns. It's very helpful to at least read them before getting started.