Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Men who quilt

Tell him a lot of guys quilt, my brother who was a 30 year man did ceramics and loved to help his wife make quilts. He was not the kind of guy you through would do things like that. lol They made beautiful quilts and jackets together before we lost him.

Blog Entries
    Last year my DH was about to drive me crazy after he retired. I was in a bind so I asked him to cut me out some pieces for my quilt top. Funny thing is he actually enjoyed it and became my cutter. Finally, he had so many 2 1/2 inch blocks cut that he kept telling me I needed to use them. I told him I was too busy with my other projects. I coaxed and coaxed and finally got him to try my sewing machine. At first he was scared of it, but after he learned it is might nigh impossible to sew a finger, he has sewn over 40 tops using those blocks. He still won't fill his bobbin though!!!!

One of the many tops he did.
    Name:  Attachment-157516.jpe
Views: 124
Size:  65.6 KB

Kafe Fassett is one of the world's greatest artists with fabric and colour. Why not find details of his work on the internet and show your husband what he can do.

Kafe's work may not be to his taste, but he can learn from books and magazines on quilting what his likes and dislikes are...... and that mistakes are good. Only God is perfect.

The Navaho Indians always leave a knot in one of their weavings to ensure that they do not anger the Gods and the Shetland Island knitters always deliberately make a mistake in their fairisle knitting....... so it is good to not to be perfect!

Tell him to check out Matt's site......
    http://www.manquilter.com/index.html

or join Matt's group of 181 Man Quilters
    http://manquilters.ning.com/?xg_source=badge

Here's a picture of Matt...he's a father of nine and his full time job is quilting!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My husband quilts with me. He also has his own embroidery machine. The loves to do the embroidered blocks for my quilts. Right now he is working on a wall hanging for the office where he works. He is a apt. maintenance man so no decorations in the shop. But he is diffenently straight. We have 7 kids and 10 grandkids.

We have several men in our quilt guild and 2 of them do all the quilting on a long arm. There was an article awhile ago about a truck driver who quilts while waiting for loads. Wish I could remember!

Quilting is an art form. Why shouldn't men enjoy it too?

The fellowwho made the Last Supper quilt is Don Locke of Waxahachie, TX. He is coming to Greensburg, IN May 17 & 18. We are planning an exhibit featuring the quilt. He will also be in Richmond and some other local places while he is in this area.

Blog Entries
    And Rosie Grier did needlepoint - you remember Rosie? He played for the Rams - definately a talented man!

Quote Originally Posted by SWChick
    I am a newbie so I don't know quilters on the board but need some help. My DH is a disabled vet with too much time on his hands. I think he would be a great quilter because he has a great eye for detail, color and design. He has helped me cut a few times and each cut is perfect. The trouble is that he doesn't believe men quilt. He is so old school that he can't belive that a man can work with fabric and be stright. Need some help in convincing him that men make great quilters. HELP
    Can you say Ricky Timms? Probably one of the most famous male quilters of all times - and I do love hs applique!! Or John Flynn? He was an engineer before the quilting bug. Also, google "Scott Murkin" - he is a Doctor (as in M.D.) here in NC but also a fantastic quilter, quilt judge, etc. You might look on the internet for men quilters from the past - mthere are quite a few. I understand the "old school men" thing as my husband and son are a bit like that, too.

Years ago if a young boy was ill and could not go out and do the "manly" things - permanently or temporarily due to illness - many times they were taught to quilt (hand piece etc.) to keep them occupied since there was no sports on TV, radio, video games or even electricity depending on the times. I remember reading in a magazine years ago about an elderly gentleman who had been quilting for a long time. He was quite well-known but unfortunately my memory has left and I just cannot remember his name. And there are many men who are getting into the long-arm quilting business.

Hope he gets the quilting bug!!
    Sandy in Mooresville, NC

Hi, I'm a disabled male Navy Vet. I started quilting about 12 years ago to have something to do. The first thing I turned into a quilt was my old Navy uniforms. I really enjoyed woodworking for a long time, but my disability got worse. I found that quilting needed the same or more precision than wood working did. Tell your hubby to jump in the water is fine.

Blog Entries
    He did such an awesome job. I wouldn't have the patience that he did thats for sure. But its just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by SWChick
    I am a newbie so I don't know quilters on the board but need some help. My DH is a disabled vet with too much time on his hands. I think he would be a great quilter because he has a great eye for detail, color and design. He has helped me cut a few times and each cut is perfect. The trouble is that he doesn't believe men quilt. He is so old school that he can't belive that a man can work with fabric and be stright. Need some help in convincing him that men make great quilters. HELP
    Sure, men quilt. But if he doesn't want to - for whatever reason - you won't get him to enjoy it.

One of the best quilters I know is a man, married & with 3 wonderful smart kids. My dad used to make quilts; my uncle makes work quilts from old clothes.

Let him ponder it for a while & if he wants to try it, give it a whirl. Blue jean quilts are fun & easy to make. Even if it's not perfect & straight, etc., it just shows that someone took the time to make something for me.

my friend starting sewing tops and then bought a long arm machine to quilt and he will be 80 in July. He's been sewing a couple of years, he and his wife sew together. His granddaughter bought him his own iron so he would leave his wife's alone.

I've seen the Last Supper quilt, this man and his wife displayed it at one of the churches in Hattiesburg. Beautiful!!!!!!!!

My Quilting Angels group leader's husband does some wonderful longarm quilting! Then there is Joe Cunningham (Joe The Quilter), Ricky Tims, John Flynn...
    My husband and I are upholsterers (I don't do very much any more). He does ALL of his own sewing. But although he doesn't quilt, I'm sure he would be good at it!!

There is a veteran on the Quilts of Valor website that quilts. There is a video of some of his work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonglow
    Not only do men quilt but they also knit.
    Yes, my son has knitted scarves for presents for family and friends. Also, he has made his own curtains. In college, he worked in the costume shop for extra money and that is where he learned to sew. He has made aprons for gifts also.

Hollice Turnbow has been quilting and judging quilting shows for about 25 years, Look him up on the web he has several videos that teach how to's on quilting

There is a quilt shop in Phoenix called "The Three Dudes" which is owned and run by 3 men who really know their stuff and do marvelous work.

I took some things to the quilter a couple of days ago and found out her husband pieces.

Is your DH aware that most clothing designers are MEN? I had a freind who was married to guy that was a master tailer in his own right. He made his sons prom night suit and it was the envy of all the young men who attended. He made all his wife's clothes too. And he was as "straight" as my DH! I knew another gentleman who made quilts that were to die for and he was as "straight" as they come. I hope your DH can get past that stigma. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I am glad that this was brought up as my nine year old grand son has been begging me to teach him how to quilt but I did not know how his dad would feel about it as he has never said anything in front of either of his parents. Now I have some proof that men do quilt, I told my grandson there were many men who quilted and made a lot of money from it. His attention span is still very little so I have to figure out what kind of a pattern to use. I told him as soon as I was finished with the big project I am working on now we would do one together for him.

You go girl! I think that is great. This will let him know if this is really a hobby he wants to pursue. Good luck.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast