Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men who quilt >

Men who quilt

Men who quilt

Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Where I live 99% of the tailors are men.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dya
this are stunnung quilts everone should look at them
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM

I feel your pain. My hubby is firmly convinced that only "girly" men quilt or sew. Of course, this irks me somewhat, because both my sons know their way around a sewing machine (He's not their father). I try reminding him that sewing used to be the realm of men, as in tailors.
Originally Posted by SWChick
I am a newbie so I don't know quilters on the board but need some help. My DH is a disabled vet with too much time on his hands. I think he would be a great quilter because he has a great eye for detail, color and design. He has helped me cut a few times and each cut is perfect. The trouble is that he doesn't believe men quilt. He is so old school that he can't belive that a man can work with fabric and be stright. Need some help in convincing him that men make great quilters. HELP
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 AM

that is absolutely incredible!!!!! WTG Don
Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 AM

there are many men quilters
Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Ricky Tims and John Flynn are tow names that leap to mind that not only quilt, but make a living at it.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SWChick
The trouble is that he doesn't believe men quilt. He is so old school that he can't belive that a man can work with fabric and be stright.
Old dogs CAN learn new tricks. There are quite a few male quilters on this site. As for famous ones, have him check out Ricky Timms. ALso here is a new book that recently came out about male quilters:
http://www.americanquilter.com/books...il.php?id=8243

Just have him spend some time with this motley crew on the QB and I'm sure that our "boys" will help him overcome the stereotype.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 PM

I would love to see what my boyfriend could do if I could get him to make quilts. He is artistic and that makes great quilts. When we first got our long arm, he just blew me away at his quilting and couldn't get him to do it again(he could be a great quilter IF I could get him to do it).
I don't see anything wrong with men quilting. I think he should atleast give it a try and see if he likes it.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:16 PM

Let me tell you a story--I'll try to make it short. I decided I wanted to quilt & knew nothing about it. LQS is about 45 miles from where I live in a town with a Marine Corps base. I was looking around & was leaned over looking at patterns on a rack when I hear the door open. Don't think much about it. Then I hear the owner's voice say Hey! Joe! Haven't seen you in a while. Then I hear this deep male voice say well I've been on maneuvers but I had to come by & show you this baby quilt I made a friend... My head popped up & I was hanging on every word. When he left I commented that I was amazed he quilted. The owner said when he first came in her shop he had his 3 kids in tow. Said he was looking for a sewing machine. She asked what kind of sewing his wife did. He said it wasn't for his wife it was for him. His family was having a reunion & his mom was a big quilter, she had tasked each of the family members to make a quilt block, then she would put them together for the grandmother of hte family. Couple of months later the wife came in the store & said she was looking for a machine. The owner said the machine the husband bought was still under warranty. She said NO this one's for me. She & the husband were sharing the machine but he had so many projects going that he had taken it to work so she needed her own machine. So... tell DH that men do quilt!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Jim

MALE QULTER here, father of two, grandfather to four....not gay and not that there is anything wrong with that...When I was disabled...I needed something to occupy my mind. 17 yrs later, I am perfectly sane and I am HUGE quilting addict. tell hubs I have lots of pics of my quilts if he wants to see...wife and I have a in home quilting business