Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Messy Sewing Room >

Messy Sewing Room

Messy Sewing Room

Old 08-02-2011, 06:35 AM

I vote for creative clutter. I can't seem to think if things are all tidy and clean. Then I just concentrate on putting everything away when I use it. I end up doing nothing but putting things away. Forget that! I like clutter.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 AM

i put everything up every night
Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 AM

I cannot create in a messy space, or one that is disorganized. I can work in a disorganized space, but I am not very productive, and I tend to make mistakes (sew wrong blocks together!). My room is not OCD clean, but when I think I'm through with a tool I put it back where it belongs. I straighten up at the end of each day so it is ready to start the next day.

I started doing this is so that I know that 2 yo DGD can't get cutting tools if she comes to visit. Now it's a habit and I've become much more creative and productive.

Besides, if I have clutter I spend my time thinking of ways to organize it instead of sewing.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:50 AM

I don't mind a little mess. When I can't see the floor or the pedal, it gets cleaned up. If I'm cutting fabric (I have a really small space to cut - like my 12x18 mat or I have to go downstairs and use the large mat on the floor after DD is asleep) I will throw pieces of fabric on the floor - but I do refold and put them away.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Great timing for this post. A couple of months ago, I looked at my sewing room and had lost the joy of quilting. It had become a chore due to the piles of fabric, UFO's and general clutter. (We own an embroidery business and those supplies have invaded my space as well. ) The thought of bringing order back to this mess was overwhelming so, I posted to this forum for advice. The overwhelming majority said 'one step at a time... clean a few minutes each day'. Taking these perls of wisdom to heart, I can say I am 'feeling the love' again. I purchased some rugged tote containers, sorted most of my fabric by color and some specialty categories, labeled the containers and have them shelved in my sewing room. Granted, I can't see my fabrics but, I sure do love the orderly look of the room. I pulled all of the tote bags I have and organized my UFO's in those and they are nicely organized in my closet and out of sight. (that's my next personal challenge... just sent 4 tops to long armer this past week... I am on a 'finish it' tirade!)

My sewing paradise is not perfect by a perfectionist standard and I still have to organize my cutting table and sewing table but, by and large, it is clean and organized and I really love it!!! I went in this morning to iron work clothes and didn't have to step around or over anything... it was heaven. Then I wondered to myself, how did I let it get into such a horrible state??? I haven't answered that question yet but, I do know that I want to keep it orderly... not perfect.... but orderly so I am not buying duplicates of rulers, patterns, fabrics. I will save time and money by doing so and will have to make a conscious effort to clean and organize as I go. I enjoy it so much better when all is in order and I can find what I need... but, that's just me. The clutter is sort of like noise and quilting is my refuge. I need to nurture the space. It was such a joy to be able to take my vaccum cleaner in there last night.... That may not seem like a victory to some but, it was just another step in reclaiming my quilting oasis. I am eager to hop in there and re-energize some of those UFO's in my closet.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 AM

I much prefer a neat, tidy, clean area and work better that way. Right now, though, we are in the midst of remodeling the rest of the bassement, not the sewing studio. But, guess where all the furniture from the Wreckroom is right now? Yep - in the sewing studio! Needless to say it's hard to work in there. There is a narrow path so that I can get from the ironing board, to the sewing machine, and to the cutting table. However, I'm having trouble getting myself to work in the mess so haven't done much.
It gets a bit messy in the process of a projet, but I do tidy up at the end of each session and clean well at the end.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 AM

My new seing room is what used to be our dining room, does not havve a door to close it off, so it's relatively nest. We added on to the house and have a different dining area. But, I tend to tidy up after each project, and it lookd 'well used' during one
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 AM

I can handle the messy until a certain point. Then it's a major cleanup. Within a day or two it's back to being messy.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 AM

I clean my room after each project. I cannot "create" when my craft room is all messed up. But then, my sisters accuse me of being border line OCD. LOL I just cannot stand clutter.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Meme2six
Does anyone here have trouble creating in a messy sewing room? Mine is a disaster area right now and I'm planning to clean it this weekend but have to make a baby quilt now. I'm finding very little joy in making this quilt due to my surroundings.
Yes I find the same thing. Right now my sewing room is a disaster because I'm working on a scrappy pp project. When I'm done I'll clean it up and start another project. Take an hour and tidy it up. You'll be thankful you did.