Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Mind Vs. Insomnia >

The Mind Vs. Insomnia

The Mind Vs. Insomnia

Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 PM

Most of the time I have the opposite problem, can't wake up in the mornings. I've always been a night owl so don't get to bed early. Once in a while though I just can't go to sleep. I usually turn on the TV and watch some really boring show until I doze off.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Power Poster

I take Melatonin about 3 hours before I go to bed and wear foam ear plugs. Sometimes I wake up 15 -30 minutes and can't go back to sleep, I get up and watch TV until I get sleepy again. I'm going back to work in about 3 weeks, so I will be struggling again with less sleep. I'm sure a consistent bedtime routine would be best. I am just not a consistent person and don't like routines much.
Melatonin is what your body makes so you can sleep. My DH has too much and I don't have enough.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:08 PM

I have the same problem, but I realize if I don't think about sleeping during the day and not worry about if I sleep tonight or not I sleep better. And if you meditate before you going to bed you will be relaxed,I know it works for me.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 PM

Turning my mind off is a problem but the worst is that I have "restless leg" syndrome and, as you can see by the time is my big problem. I da take an Rx from the doctor and it helps sometimes. I use straight Benytral to help me sleep and it works about 50% of the time. Will lie back down and see if my mind shuts down now and my legs will be still. Good Night.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:16 PM

Yep, I am with the rest of you. I very seldom go to bed before 2:30 am & at that takes me forever to drop off. Then I wake up at least 3 times before getting up between 6:30 & 7:30 every morning. Gets frustrating at times. Can't take over the counter things to help cause of the heart meds & Thyroid meds I am on. Been this way for years.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald
Oh no! I used to only get three or four hours and I felt sick everywhere. I told the doc I needed a sleeping pill. If it is addictive or takes a few years off my life - at least what I have will be better than this. Last night the little blue pill didn't work but I don't take another one. That's when you can have trouble. Go to the doc, you really need more sleep. Thanks for commenting.
I've got arthritis in most of my joints. I can sleep about two hours then I start hurting, so I get up and go to the potty, sometimes change from bed to my recliner, sometimes come in to the computer (as now!), then back to try again. If I'm lucky enough to sleep more than two hours in one stretch, my body is as stiff as a board and I wish I hadn't. In the end, I'll sleep 6 hours, but it takes a few jabs at sleeping to do so.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
I used to work in an ICU. We had a standing order to give benadryl 25 mg and if needed you can give another 25 mg one hour later. At home I buy generic benadryl 25mg and I also take 2 extra strength tylenol with it. It really helps ,with very little after affect the next morning. (tylenol pm has 25mg benadryl..generic... and tylenol in it) but I find it works better using them the first way. Good luck getting some sleep. Also...no chocolate or caffeine after noon for me.
I use generic benedryl, too. It helps. But still the pain wins in the end.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:04 AM

uote=NatalieMacDonald]Brother, I wish I could just turn my mind off and let me sleep! Went to bed thinking about challenging myself with untried techniques - Diane Gaudynski's artful FMG, borders, how about piping, etc. It just doesn't stop! Then I'm good for nothing the next day. I envy envy envy people who can sleep well.

I did watch a hail storm at 4 AM this morning.

Some of you can probably relate.[/quote]

I'm not a "sleeper" either, but I justify it by saying it stems from all of the midnight oil I burned when I was teaching and raising a family. After retirement I continued to follow the same pattern of sleep (or sleeplessness). It's been 13 years, so I can hardly blame it on my working days pattern. I, too, lay awake (and sometimes sitting at the computer) thinking about quilting (and cake decorating).
Old 04-30-2011, 02:55 AM

Is insomnia connected with quilting? I have many sleepless nights and when sleep just wont happen I get up and cut out a quilt, or do some handwork, anything quilt related. After an hour or 2 so I can go back to bed and sleep like a baby
Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald
Should I make a confession?...here goes...I'm such a light sleeper even with a pill that we decided to have separate rooms. My DH is noisey and restless and wakeful. So this works best for us but I don't tell anyone - it's nobody's business anyway!
Don't worry Natalie McDonald, I won't tell your secret to anyone!!!! ROFL!