Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Iron II from Jo-Ann

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning View Post
    Joann's usually doesn't allow the coupons on the travel & larger size irons
    Actually, the Dritz Petite Press iron I was talking about hangs on their notions wall, and is included in the sale when they have 50% off all notions. I don't know if this is an oversight or if they don't consider this an iron, but whatever! I bought it half off!

I have it. Don't remember what I paid but $60 seems awfully expensive. I use them every now & then but they aren't the end all..no weight and cumbersome. I do use them when I'm sitting at the machine paper piecing but not for much more. I'd really like to check into the sealing irons. They are like a mini iron with a big wooden handle ..seems to have more substance to them..I just worry about investing in another useless gadget.
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

Blog Entries
    I have that iron. I like it but don't use it often. I'm quite the couch potato, so the trek to the ironing board is about as close as i get to exercise on most days. LOL

It comes in very handy when i want to press a finished quilt for presentation. the small flat head can get into tiny corners better than any regular iron i've every tried. That model does get hot enough for the job.

The advice about using something other than the little stand that comes with it is spot on, by the way. I lay mine on an old cutting board, but a ceramic tile is also an excellent suggestion.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    I found it good for very small pieces but for larger squares I prefer the size of a travel iron. I have a Rowenta but am looking to replace it in light of the discussion on them catching fire while you are pressing with them. The one thing I like about it is the front does come to a smaller point.
    In light of recent discussion about the possessed evil Rowenta travel iron, I returned mine today! It was a replacement for my first one that blew up. Sparks flew and blew out the circut!

I have the original version, too, but I never got to use it... DH "borrowed" it & I haven't since it since... LOL! Evidently it works just fine for him... LOL! I don't care... he's so good about my quilting that I can hardly begrudge him a mini iron (that I think he bought me in the first place!).
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

It doesn't float my boat for pressing seams, but I use mine for applique. For that, I like it very much.

Power Poster
    Have one of the originals and forget to use it. Sometimes it's amazing how we think we have to have certain things and then there they sit.

I have that iron and while I don't use it much, I like it for small spaces.

I also have this iron and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/SteamFast-SF-7...7396746&sr=8-1

I had one, tried it for a week and returned it. I now use the Rowenta travel iron that is great for all my "ironing beside my machine" needs. The smaller one took too much time to cover any area....
    Enjoy your day,
    Jan used to be in FL when she chose this user name

A fat quarter is not a body part!

I bought one but the stand in which it rests did not work well so I stuck it in a glass. It heated up so much that the plastic around the rod melted. It may be fine with an alternate stand.
    Corky

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    I really appreciate all these remarks. I've wanted one but since reading all this, I have changed my mind and will keep my $60.
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

Being a gadget person, I have this iron. It is good for small projects. I don't recall having to pay that much for it. It gets very hot, and the little holder isn't adequate to hold it. My husband made me a holder out of wood.

I also had the Rowenta small iron and loved the way it ironed--that is until the handle collapsed and broke. It was the best small iron I had ever had because it had a steel plate and a pointed end.
    ranbro

C.
    I guess I am the odd person here, as I have had the red one for about 3 or 4 years and I just love it. I use it mainly for small pieces and applique. I really like it for those small triangle pieces, as you will not stretch them when you press the seams. Of course it would be too time consuming to try to do large things or a finished block, but I like the fact that it is by my machine to do those small seams quickly. I put masking tape on the bottom of the plastic rest and than set that in a little ceramic saucer with sides. Works great for me.......
    Happy Quilting.....QuiltSister....C.

If you're not sure and have to ask if you should buy it, I'd get the one without all of the tips if they still sell it. I had one, sold it and then realized I really did need one so bought another one. It does come I handy especially if you paper piece.

Too fiddly. I managed to melt the stand immediately and could never find a place on the ironing board where it could rest comfortably without flopping all over the place. I'm a notion junkie but this one is going in my garage sale.

Junior Member QuiltingrandmafromMi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I bought one a few months back, couldn't hardly wait to use it! Was highly disappointed, for pressing seams, just not that great!

I use mine all the time. Keep it by the sm when piecing and it is great to take on the road for hand applique.

I use mine for my paper piecing all the time and it is much better than the large iron next to the machine

I got mine ( just the iron, no attachments ets. )several years ago priced then at about $30, with a 50% coupon it brought it down to about to a reasonable price. I use for paper piecing and flip and sew stuff. Since I don't do this technique a lot it isn't used too often but at the price I paid, it is very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyH View Post
    I really appreciate all these remarks. I've wanted one but since reading all this, I have changed my mind and will keep my $60.
    Aren't these gals (and guys) great! Want so info and they give you what you need to know. Yeah QB!

I have the original Clover mini iron...I mostly use it when I do the Mock-hand applique method as with a bigger iron I would be burning my fingers off. Some people use it for stained glass quilting with the fusible bias, and some use it when they do foundation piecing. For regular piecing, I prefer a full iron, or a travel iron. With a 60% off coupon this would be the time to buy one if you are wanting one!

Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    really there are 60% coupons for joann's? hmmm i have never seen one.
    I had a 60% discount on the scratch off in my flier last wk.

As for this mini iron, I don't find it very useful especially when I forget I have it. It's most useful with sm. applique.

I have the original. I think I may have used it once for PP and didn't like it. Relegated the mini iron to a drawer and there it sits today. Like a regular size iron for PP. Have tried travel irons. Rowenta was great until I dropped it and broke it (won't buy another since reading the fire hazard thread here). Tried one that looked like a bunny...does not get hot enough. Will use my good old Black & Decker iron.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I have one quite similar to that, has a shovel shaped iron part on it, I wouldn't waste my money on it. not worth it at all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast