Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mini Iron II from Jo-Ann

I purchased one years ago and maybe used it four times. It does have very little weigh to it and I found that when I tried to press harder to go around my applique I burnt my index finger on the long metal piece. Would I purchase it again. Probably not.
    Believe, it can be done!

I have this one and love it! It is reallly handy for applique. I also take it to retreats with me for pressing seams within a block. Saves trips to the ironing board.
    To God be the Glory!

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    I had the "deluxe model" with all of the extra attachments. I barely used it because I always forgot that I had it. I always would drag out my travel or big iron. I eventally sold it for lack of use. lolololo. I don't believe I would buy a second one unless it was "dirt cheap".

Have a blessed day.

debra
    cny_sewer39

Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time...

I have a mini iron like this and used it for a while with paper piecing, but I prefer some steam when I press the seams.

I have one and love it for attaching (or tacking together) small applique pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by ljptexas View Post
    I have the tini, tiny iron but found it doesn't get as hot as reg iron to press open seams & iron out final. Wish I could find something in between.
    Good heavens, my little Clover gets hot as a poker. I mean HOT!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Interesting all the replies and mixed feelings about the Clover mini-iron. I bought mine years ago, and use it for attaching freezer paper shapes to fabric for my applique. I can use it in the evenings in front of the TV, and prepare lots of shapes ready for applique. I do agree the metal shank gets very hot so treat that with respect! Also the little stand was useless - I dumped mine within the first few days - now I use a metal biscuit tin. It's a long cylinder shape, decorated outside with flowers, and it not only holds the hot iron while I'm using it, but also is just big enough to store the iron and the flex and plug after it has gone cold. Useful for carrying to workshops.

I didn't get the scratch off in the current ad but I got it last time. Maybe it's marketed to different locales at different times.
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
    I HAVE THE LATEST JO-ANN ADD AND IT RUNS FROM MAY20TH THRU JUNE 9TH. Sorry for Cap's, anyway I do not have a scratch off on mine in Arizona. What is with this?
    :-)
    CAS

I got one as a gift and hated it. It would not stay on the stand and it was too easy to burn myself. The whole thing gets so hot! I think I'd rather buy a regular mini-iron. I returned mine. Hubby bought it and saved the receipt. I've trained him well!
    :-)
    CAS

I hate to tell you this, but if you live anywhere in the United States--maybe even the world--anybody can get your address and a picture of your house, at least an aerial view of it--and it's all free to them. Taking your address down from this site might slow anyone who wants it down a little--but not much. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    did you realize your address is showing? I'd remove that....

Quote Originally Posted by lotus63000 View Post
    Helloooooo....has any one ever used the Clover Mini Iron II. It's about $60.00 feom Jo-Ann.I have a 60 % off coupon and I'm wonder if it's worth it, any one?
    Hi, Kate. I bought mine at a church garage sale for $5--whoever was pricing didn't know a thing about sewing. I think it is a great tool, but I don't know that I would spend $24 for it. froggyintexs

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I had a 60% discount on the scratch off in my flier last wk.

As for this mini iron, I don't find it very useful especially when I forget I have it. It's most useful with sm. applique.
    The flier with the scratchoff was the last one. The first I've received since getting home from ARiz. for the winter. There was no scratchoff on this wk.'s flier.

Blog Entries
    I don't have this one however, the craft iron I have did come with a variety of tips. But, I only use the triangle one therefore, perhaps you might be overpaying for something (all the tips) that you might not use. So would a smaller version with less tips be cheaper? calla

Blog Entries
    Yes I had one, I keep using it and the metal would burn my fingers as I was always holding down the fabric to be ironed. The metal iron part is moving and my fingers holding would meet alot. I got a mini iron I love it.
    conair, it is 8x3 inches, It is great gets in small places, doesn't take much room on my small ironing spot. Pretty cheap too!

I think the mini iron is a step up from finger- pressing, but certainly does not take the place of an iron.

I had one without all the extras, it was $25. It worked pretty good but I kept burning my hand or fingers on the long metal "tube" part so I got rid of it. Now I use a travel iron, too. It's a good size and works well. Don't mean to discourage you from getting the mini-iron, you may be more careful than I was.

Some people like them. I have one of the original ones and it never worked-was a waste of my money. Good luck and if you get one let us know if it works well for you.

Kat

Since I machine embroider - I tried playing with the "Piece in the Hoop". You HAVE to use some kind of mini iron to do this without touching the hoop.

Now I'm messing around with a Dresden Plate. Just got the pieces sewn and corners turned. Big iron too big. Even the teflon coated sealing iron is too big. I dragged out the Clover, and am using the long attachment as I can't clean the large iron shaped one.

I also like heirloom sewing and combined that with doll clothes. Those mini irons and a spray bottle were all you could use on some garments.

I do a lot of paper piecing and the iron is great for that.

I have the original white one and the newer red one with attachments. Original one did not get hot enough so never use it. Use the red one a lot -- sits right next to my machine to do 1/4" seams and is really great for the small areas --wouldn't want it for bigger pieces/blocks. Stand is a joke -- needs help to stabilize -- cup, tile, wooden stand that is sold in some places -- kind of like you need for glue guns. Love the iron but hardly ever use attachments.

I have one but don't use it. I wasn't impressed with the way it worked. It didn't seem to work as good as my regular iron for pressing open seams.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I have one and I love it. I would suggest getting the rest/holder that you can get for it. That little clover plastic thingy is useless, not strong enough and iron falls off and burns it and table. It gets really hot and works well for pressing as you go and don't want to go over to the big iron. I am in a wheelchair and when I go to classes it is what I use since it is easier than trying to reach the big ironing board. I love mine.
    Brenda in Humble, TX

gmpatrick
    Look to make sure that you can use the coupon on the iron. Some things you cannot use coupons. I bought a steamer and could not use the coupon I had. Good luck!

I got one several years ago and hardly ever use it.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I had the mini-iron for years. I used it but never really liked the job it did. Last fall I bought a Dritz mini-iron and it works so much better! The sole plate is twice the size of the Clover. It's ergonomic and has a rubber pad directly above the sole plate that is much better than the Clover for keeping the pressure off my wrist. It just 'feels' better using it. With the Clover, you use your a lot of your wrist to place pressure on a seam, but with this all it takes is one finger. I can sew all day and my wrist doesn't ache at the end of the day.

The best part? It has a stand built right in! The Clover stand is A HUGE PAIN. I'm soooo glad I bought the Dritz mini-iron, it's MUCH better. It has 4 heat settings and an auto-off that doesn't turn off for about half an hour.
    Last edited by Christine-; 05-20-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast