Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Misty Pines or Winter Solstice quilt >

Misty Pines or Winter Solstice quilt

Misty Pines or Winter Solstice quilt

Old 06-29-2022, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
It. was the 2018 Raffle Quilt for the Mountain Laurel Quilt Guild: https://mountainlaurelquiltguild.blo...8-exhibit.html

They added appliqué and it is a fabulous quilt!
Oh my, that is absolutely beautiful! Do you think that they made the smaller size blocks here, as in the directions for the throw, and made enough to put them 12 across instead of 8? Because with this picture to go by, that would help me immensely, just giving ideas of where to slip in the extra blocks!
This is a quilt for my son, the pattern that he picked out, so I want it to be as nice as I can make it. Your help here is so greatly appreciated!
Old 06-29-2022, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by peglh View Post
Oh my, that is absolutely beautiful! Do you think that they made the smaller size blocks here, as in the directions for the throw, and made enough to put them 12 across instead of 8? Because with this picture to go by, that would help me immensely, just giving ideas of where to slip in the extra blocks!
This is a quilt for my son, the pattern that he picked out, so I want it to be as nice as I can make it. Your help here is so greatly appreciated!
I think it is the smaller blocks, but I am not 100% sure. I don’t think the pattern with the larger blocks was done until after this was raffled off in 2018 (‘though, of course, many quilters resize blocks). And, I realized that this is actually 12 columns wide by 10 rows long (only 114 full blocks and 12 half blocks) not 12 x 12. That makes the finished quilt size about 84”x 87.5”. Which may be a tad shy in length for a Queen (80 x 90 minimum is recommended).

The pattern from Patti’s website has a layout for 11 columns by 8 rows (for the king using the larger blocks). Which means only needing to get creative for the fabric combos in 1 column and 2 rows.

I’m thinking that’s what I will do: 12 columns and 10 rows in the standard block size. And because I hate cutting everything out at once, I’m going to wing it. Start making some blocks (at least as many as needed for the 11x 8 layout in the pattern), making a few extras where convenient and making additional design decisions as I go (Muttering to myself: “Based on the layout you have so far, let’s make another mountain set with a dark background and light peaks”). This is probably a sure fire way to end up with a UFO of epic proportions as I run out of fabric and/or patience!

I’m making this for my niece who just graduated. She is planning to move abroad eventually (so I thought I had lots of time to make the quilt). But she told me yesterday that she’s moving to Seattle first for at least the next year. So she’ll need a quilt. My goal is to get it done by her November birthday.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:13 PM

I think it is the smaller blocks, but I am not 100% sure. I don’t think the pattern with the larger blocks was done until after this was raffled off in 2018 (‘though, of course, many quilters resize blocks). And, I realized that this is actually 12 columns wide by 10 rows long (only 114 full blocks and 12 half blocks) not 12 x 12. That makes the finished quilt size about 84”x 87.5”. Which may be a tad shy in length for a Queen (80 x 90 minimum is recommended).

The pattern from Patti’s website has a layout for 11 columns by 8 rows (for the king using the larger blocks). Which means only needing to get creative for the fabric combos in 1 column and 2 rows.

I’m thinking that’s what I will do: 12 columns and 10 rows in the standard block size. And because I hate cutting everything out at once, I’m going to wing it. Start making some blocks (at least as many as needed for the 11x 8 layout in the pattern), making a few extras where convenient and making additional design decisions as I go (Muttering to myself: “Based on the layout you have so far, let’s make another mountain set with a dark background and light peaks”). This is probably a sure fire way to end up with a UFO of epic proportions as I run out of fabric and/or patience!

I’m making this for my niece who just graduated. She is planning to move abroad eventually (so I thought I had lots of time to make the quilt). But she told me yesterday that she’s moving to Seattle first for at least the next year. So she’ll need a quilt. My goal is to get it done by her November birthday.
I actually bought the original Misty Pines pattern, but I may go ahead and purchase this Misted Pines pattern too, in case there are any changes. And also to have the king size to refer to.
I believe I will be trying to do something similar to what you are going to do - a queen size with smaller blocks. I am pretty sure you have a better grasp on how this is going to work though - ha!
Good luck, and hope you get it finished in time for your niece's birthday! Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by peglh View Post
I actually bought the original Misty Pines pattern, but I may go ahead and purchase this Misted Pines pattern too, in case there are any changes. And also to have the king size to refer to.
I believe I will be trying to do something similar to what you are going to do - a queen size with smaller blocks. I am pretty sure you have a better grasp on how this is going to work though - ha!
Good luck, and hope you get it finished in time for your niece's birthday! Thanks again for all your help.
Honestly, I’m not sure how much buying the Misted Pines pattern with the King option will help you. While it does add 3 columns, adding columns is the easy part: to add 4 columns to 8 shown in the pattern, just repeat or mirror the first 4 columns.

Because of the gradations from light to dark and back again, it is adding rows that is more complicated. And the Misted Pines pattern only has 8 rows, the same as Misty Pines. To main that gradation while adding 2 rows to get to 10, I would probably add 1 row of pines and 1 row of mountains with fabrics in the medium range. Adding those rows may be a little fussy (that is, choosing one block at a time, not just repeating a whole row), but shouldn’t be difficult. For example, in one column, the tree goes from the third lightest in one row to the 6th lightest in the next. Placing a 4th or 5th lightest between those as part of your added row will maintain the gradation.

I do think there has been a change in technique for the mountain blocks between the McCalls pattern and the Misted Pines pattern. I don’t have the earlier pattern, but have watched some of the QuiltAlong videos. I won’t say one technique is better than the other, but in this already complicated pattern, I might not want to switch between techniques.

Best of luck with the project. I’m off to buy some fabric today. My stash yielded only 3 of the 12 fabrics needed.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:16 AM

I realized that one reason to buy the Misted Pines pattern is that it has the specific info needed if you want to buy the fabric from the Stonehenge Gradation line for the quilt. Three color options: taupe, green or blue-violet.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:38 AM

I realized that one reason to buy the Misted Pines pattern is that it has the specific info needed if you want to buy the fabric from the Stonehenge Gradation line for the quilt. Three color options: taupe, green or blue-violet.
OK, that's good to know. I will go ahead and get the Misted Pines pattern, as we will need to be buying all the fabric.
And I understand what you are saying about adding columns and rows - it all makes sense to me. I am really looking forward to making this, and hope you will post a picture when yours is finished.! Thank you so much!
Old 07-01-2022, 05:19 AM

The look will change with bigger blocks. Think about scale. On a larger-sized quilt bigger blocks look fine.
Small blocks across a king may look very busy.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
The look will change with bigger blocks. Think about scale. On a larger-sized quilt bigger blocks look fine.
Small blocks across a king may look very busy.
You are right about the scale. The pattern balances a mountain and a tree block, making the tree block feel pretty large. Maybe it’s because I just finished a Bonnie Hunter quilt (with a typical Bonniezillion pieces) and 2/3 size of a Laundry Basket Quilts mystery, but these tree blocks feel huge (even in the original size). I’m glad I didn’t “size-up” the block on a queen quilt. And I can see why the designers of the quilt guild raffle quilt felt the need to add appliqué for more detail.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:58 AM

My quilt in progress with 12 blocks wide by 10 blocks long and no change in block size from the throw. The finished size will be about 84 x 87.5. I completed the top in 2 pieces so far to make it easier to add appliqué by hand. Then I will join the top to the bottom. I have attached a rough sketch of the planned appliqué. We’ll see how it translates as I do it in fabric.
Attached Thumbnails img_1571.jpeg   img_1571-2.jpeg  
Old 08-09-2022, 10:24 AM

This is just beautiful - I love the colors that you chose! I am just now cutting my fabric - following the same idea as you are. Keeping the size of the blocks the same as the throw, and adding more columns and rows as you suggested. Ideally I would have it be about 90" long, but we will see how it goes here. I don't think I will attempt the appliqué though - a little out of my reach.
Thank you for posting pictures - I'd love to see your finished quilt!