Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mixed Emotions About This >

Mixed Emotions About This

Mixed Emotions About This

Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM

I always say I have to live to be about 200 yrs old to finish all the projects I want to and since I keep seeing more and more I guess I'll probably be like that poor lady at least she seemed to have a lot of joy working on her fabric. Sue
Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I look at it this way. I love fabric. I have a pretty significant stash which brings me much happiness. I will NEVER use all that I have but that doesn't deter me from gathering more. Leaving a stash behind after I am gone doesn't trouble me one bit. I have left specific written instructions for my family as well as discussed with them on how to dispose of my sewing and quilting supplies when I am gone. They know who gets what and what to do with anything that is left over. I even have some rare, highly sought after, hard to find fabrics that are separate from my stash. My family knows that these fabrics are special and will be sold. I also let my family know that if they didn't wish to follow my instructions upon my demise, that is their prerogative. I'm not going to come back and haunt them!!!
I agree with everything you said. I would like my beloved heirloom Featherweight to stay with my kids but my fabric? I just want it donated to whoever can use it. I know here in WI the women's prison acceps fabric donations to make quilts with & that sounds like a good choice to me. And I, too, have promised my kids that if they thik I;m a royal pain now, just watch if you don't follow my directives... LOL!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:44 AM

My children have no interest in any crafts; so I know they will not want any of my things when I am no longer able to use them. The guild I belong to does charity quilts, so after a friend or two takes what they would like, the rest will go to towards making charity quilts. That's fine by me!

In the meantime, I look at my stash the way any collector would look at their things - I enjoy them!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:55 AM

If we all lived long enough to use up our stash of fabrics, we would have to live into the next century.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:16 AM

Sewing was her passion, obviously. She surrounded herself with people (I assume) and fabrics and an area that gave her peace and joy. More power to her. As for all the leftovers after her death... maybe a legacy to pass on of sorts? Fabric isn't cheap, and neither are good machines. My Grandmother, who no longer quilts due to arthritis, gave me the pick of her small stash, and I was very thankful. I'm glad she is still alive to see what I'm doing with the stash, but I can't help but feel a little bit of her going into projects whenever I use what she gave me. Perhaps the recipients of the older lady in OP feel the same? Her money, her stash, her choice. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. And like I said, if I was one of her decendents, I would treasure whatever I inherited from it.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:29 AM

none of us have enough time to use it all
Old 04-07-2012, 08:04 AM

When I made up my will I attached a wish list to it stating what I would like my children to do with certain things that I know they don't want. If they do it or not I will never know but I think my daughter will as I was very specific about what I wanted done with my machines, tools and stash.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 AM

Oh but she probably enjoyed the acquisition of all the treasures, for a collector of fabrics like me having the fabric is just as much fun as creating something with it.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:49 AM

Actually, I think of it like anything else we might leave behind, whether china, or pets, or clothing. If it provided the original owner pleasure, and she was able to create with the items, they did serve their purpose...
Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 AM

I just assume I will leave a stash behind. To do otherwise would mean that I must have given up quilting at some point, or else had a very clear idea about when my final departure would occur. I'd rather not plan for that too much! I hope my kids understand the value both to me in having choices close at hand and also for the lucky people who will be happy to find what I've left behind, whether it's at an estate sale or donated for charity.