Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda prices going up >

Moda prices going up

Moda prices going up

Old 01-08-2011, 06:41 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that fabric is going up so high....Of course, I have lots of fabric in my stash but it seems I always need something extra to finish a quilt or to do the backing.... :-(
Old 01-08-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
Consider yourself warned.... Moda tried to hold their prices but just couldn't do it any longer. Retailers will be paying more on the next batch of new fabrics. Batiks are going up A LOT!
I either read recently or heard on the news can't remember which about fabrics and it is going up across the board for all brand names. I can't remember why but it is if it hasn't already.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 AM

Eat less...save the money for fabric...
Old 01-08-2011, 06:50 AM

Figured it was bound to happen
Old 01-08-2011, 07:11 AM

It seems that everything has been going up. I've really notice food and medicine. It used to be that any fabric over $9 was super expensive. Now $11 - $14 is common. Maybe the overspending on sale fabric wasn't such a bad idea in the long run!
Susan
Old 01-08-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
I am wondering if the new plastic bag tax goes thru with the new congress (20 cents PER bag) if fabric stores will be charging for that also.

My LQS gives you a $5 punch on their savings card if you don't take a bag. (Not sure how many punches it takes to cash in the card though.)

Despite the prices, I will patronize my LQS and others in my area as much as I can since. If we don't, we'll turn around and look for them and they'll be gone. But I will shop sales and the clearance room as much as possible.

Charlee, I would have loved to hear your political comments - probably would have agreed with you - but better to stay away from the topic. :)
Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 AM

at my fav. quilt shop the new prices seem to be coming in at $12.00 a yard.....and the FQ's are $3.00 each.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:13 AM

You may want to consider purchasing fabric from Connecting Threads!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I just had a brainstorm. Do you mean indirectly? Global warming is certainly a likely partial cause of the wonky weather that lead to crop failures, hence leading to a shortage, then to increasing prices. I thought you meant a more direct "there's global warming so let's increase prices" kind of thing.
I just think that global warning seems to be an excuse for most things, normally costing us consumer more :roll:
Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by sall
I also live in Uk, so had a look at the website, cannot believe the prices. How do you have it shipped, and what sort of postage do you pay?. Do you buy in small or larger quantities?
Sometimes when I have looked at buying from US,including the postage, the price has never been much different, so I am interested in this site. I have just bought some Moda here in UK and have paid £10.40 for a metre plus postage, but I really needed it to finish a quilt.
Point 1: Here in the UK we pay "Import Duty" but we only pay it if our purchase is over £18, not including the postage. so I buy in relatively small amounts.

You can check you spend by using this currency converter: http://www.xe.com/ and of course pay via Pay-pal

Point 2: In a USPS Flat envelope which costs $13.95 at present, this will hold 6 yards of Cotton fabric and 4 yards of Flannel

Point 3: It will take 5 working days to get to you, so if you order on a Thursday you normally get it the following one, our post permitting!

So if you want large quantities of a fabric, like over 6 yards, split them into separate orders. Also most of their fabrics are "end of" runs so do make sure you order enough for your project.

I cannot praise them enough their service is second to none, all their fabrics are well known names and what I do love is that each purchase has a label on that tells you how much, what make and what name of the fabric is, so useful for your stash.

2 examples for you. I bought 4 yards of Northcott baby flannels which cost, including postage $28.69 = £17.60= £4.25 per yard
6 yards of Cotton, inc postage $31.85 = £20.80 = £3.46 per yard.

I do wish they would pay commision as I have recommended them to dozens of people :-P