Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda prices going up >

Moda prices going up

Moda prices going up

Old 01-08-2011, 09:57 AM

Don't just mourn the rising cost of fabric -- I heard that the batting prices are going to be going thru the atmosphere. Good thing Connecting Threads is having a sale now -- I'm stocking up.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:08 AM

The owner of my lqs said some fabric could go as high as
$15 a yard, She has held hers down as much as she could, but with this new raise, she has no choice. I feel sorry for the owners of these small shops. I don't know how they will be able to stay open much longer.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Originally Posted by sall
I also live in Uk, so had a look at the website, cannot believe the prices. How do you have it shipped, and what sort of postage do you pay?. Do you buy in small or larger quantities?
Sometimes when I have looked at buying from US,including the postage, the price has never been much different, so I am interested in this site. I have just bought some Moda here in UK and have paid £10.40 for a metre plus postage, but I really needed it to finish a quilt.
Point 1: Here in the UK we pay "Import Duty" but we only pay it if our purchase is over £18, not including the postage. so I buy in relatively small amounts.

You can check you spend by using this currency converter: http://www.xe.com/ and of course pay via Pay-pal

Point 2: In a USPS Flat envelope which costs $13.95 at present, this will hold 6 yards of Cotton fabric and 4 yards of Flannel

Point 3: It will take 5 working days to get to you, so if you order on a Thursday you normally get it the following one, our post permitting!

So if you want large quantities of a fabric, like over 6 yards, split them into separate orders. Also most of their fabrics are "end of" runs so do make sure you order enough for your project.

I cannot praise them enough their service is second to none, all their fabrics are well known names and what I do love is that each purchase has a label on that tells you how much, what make and what name of the fabric is, so useful for your stash.

2 examples for you. I bought 4 yards of Northcott baby flannels which cost, including postage $28.69 = £17.60= £4.25 per yard
6 yards of Cotton, inc postage $31.85 = £20.80 = £3.46 per yard.

I do wish they would pay commision as I have recommended them to dozens of people :-P
Thanks for that info. I will definitely go back to their website, and order
Old 01-08-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Renee110
I'll just have to start buying cheap material and making do. You know, I remember the reason my mother made our clothes was to save money. Now it's cheaper to buy the clothes and not make them. I'm only 40 so I'm not talking about in the 30's or anything. I grew up late 70's and 80's.
That is why many quilters use old clothes.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by sall
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
I am wondering if the new plastic bag tax goes thru with the new congress (20 cents PER bag) if fabric stores will be charging for that also.
Seems one guy tried to get the plastic bags outlawed, didn't work so now he wants to impose another tax on the people.
They said on the news that it is mainly aimed at grocery stores, but I have a feeling it would be any retail operation that uses plastic bags.
We the people are getting taxed to death and beyond.
There are a few grocery stores here in the UK, including some of the smaller supermarkets where you have to pay for your plastic bags. I have made a few marketing totes which I always use, and I always keep one rolled up in my handbag for for those unitentional buys
I need to make some and keep them in my car. I think they are trying to get people off of the plastic habit which is good, yet those bags are so useful for other things besides carrying groceries etc.
The ones that the stores sell are on the flimsy side, heavy cans etc may break the seams.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the warning, used a 20% off discount at the LQS today for club week. With some fat quarters and charm packs, love my Moda!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:50 PM

The owner of my shop said all cotton fabric is going up. They were frantically ordering all the fabric they could before Dec 31st. She said most up $.50 to $1.00 per yard. Cotton all over the world is going up.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:54 PM

Well the cotton crops in parts of Australia are underwater, we are having huge floods here, covering the land for hundreds of miles. I got a newsletter the other day from a online shop warning that cotton fabric will rise by 70%. Our coal fields in my state are under water too and we supply half of the world's coal. Railway lines are under water, so coal that is not under water cannot get to market.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:02 PM

QUILTERS, UNITE! Stop building your stash just because you like a piece of fabric. Buy what you need for the project you're working on. If there is a tremendous backlash to this price increase, the price will come down!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:08 PM

Well we pay approx $22 to $24 a metre here for quilt fabric, bump that up by 70% and it will be beyond a lot of quilters or they will get very choosy as to what they buy which will put a lot of quilt shops out of business with tight margins.