Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda prices going up >

Moda prices going up

Moda prices going up

Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 PM

guess I will be making lap quilts, wall quilts and baby quilts and making them scrappy. If backing and batting get too high I'll just make quilt tops and put them away and ask for batting for Christmas gifts from my family. lol
Old 01-08-2011, 05:44 PM

They will be unaffordable for us if that is the case - we pay heaps now.Jelly rolls are around $88.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM

Hear this Fellow Quilters........$12 for a metre of fabric is NOT too much to pay if you want to produce a quilt that makes your heart sing. I have purchased fabric in Bonners Ferry ID and didn't find any under $9 a yard. In Cranbrook the cost is $13 a metre, and this is just for good fabric, not the "heart singing" kind. Fabric in Europe can start at $35 a metre. I would love to purchase good fabric for $5 a yard......but I think those times have long gone.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by auntmarie
I just read that because of the cotton shortage , american farmers are now planting much more cotton!!!!!!!!!!
Should help for the future.
do you really think the prices will go down when there is more cotton available? I haven't seen too much price reduction in the past! LOL
Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Or they'll stop producing. If the price drops too low, no one can make any money from it, and it's not worth it to produce.

Originally Posted by bonniebusybee
QUILTERS, UNITE! Stop building your stash just because you like a piece of fabric. Buy what you need for the project you're working on. If there is a tremendous backlash to this price increase, the price will come down!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:02 PM

I am a quilter living in "cotton country" Texas. The cotton prices are by far the highest in history. No we are NOT cotton farmers! The prices are being forced up because India and China are BIG buyers of cotton in todays markets. Their economic situation is improving and they have more $$$$ to spend. So I guess you could say it is global pricing and we will feel the pinch in clothing, bedding and any thing made from cotton. Quilt fabrics are the first to go up as far as I can tell!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 PM

We pay more than that in Saskatchewan, and have been for a long time... a meter of good quality quilting cotton is over 16.00 and FQ's are over 4.00 each.. so that means we will be paying a lot more now if the prices are going up... good thing I have a stash.. lol
Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
You may want to consider purchasing fabric from Connecting Threads!
Connecting Threads have great prices, but they don't have much for nice fabric.. all they have is their own fabric, it's ok, but not as nice as some of the name brands.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 PM

If we didn't grow the cotton here then ship it to India and China the prices might not be so high, and it would create more jobs for some of our people here in the u.s.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 PM

[quote=jaciqltznok]just wait, it won't be too long before that BARGAIN fabric goes up too..,I don't see too many little shops
making it after Spring time this year...[/ Ijust bought about 1200yards at one of my LQS that was closing . Hope I have enough for a while anyway!!!!