Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda prices going up >

Moda prices going up

Moda prices going up

Old 01-09-2011, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
I am wondering if the new plastic bag tax goes thru with the new congress (20 cents PER bag) if fabric stores will be charging for that also.
Seems one guy tried to get the plastic bags outlawed, didn't work so now he wants to impose another tax on the people.
They said on the news that it is mainly aimed at grocery stores, but I have a feeling it would be any retail operation that uses plastic bags.
We the people are getting taxed to death and beyond.
If they do that, I'll be making reusable bags from the uglier parts of my stash. I should have done it by now, except I reuse the plastic ones for cleaning the cat litter and picking up after the dogs, and will have to come up with another plan.
That is one of the things I use the plastic bags for also. And they are perfect size for the small bathroom trash containers.
Congress has to pass the tax on the bags first. We can hope and pray that they decline passage of this guys tax.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
I am wondering if the new plastic bag tax goes thru with the new congress (20 cents PER bag) if fabric stores will be charging for that also.

My LQS gives you a $5 punch on their savings card if you don't take a bag. (Not sure how many punches it takes to cash in the card though.)

Despite the prices, I will patronize my LQS and others in my area as much as I can since. If we don't, we'll turn around and look for them and they'll be gone. But I will shop sales and the clearance room as much as possible.

Charlee, I would have loved to hear your political comments - probably would have agreed with you - but better to stay away from the topic. :)
One shop here has what they call Bag Lady Day - 3rd Sat of each month. You buy a cloth bag with their name on it, take it in on that day and get 20% off your whole purchase.
Another does punch cards and you have to fill up the card - takes a long time though before you get the $$ discount.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 AM

' was wondering - do you think there MIGHT be a new trend in "synthetic quilts" - just a thought..
Old 01-09-2011, 06:08 AM

I think someone may have a go but I don't think you will get any quilter away from their beloved cotton for quilting. With batting there already is a couple, Bamboo and one made from Plastic bottles :shock: are ones that I know of, but they are expensive, although the Bamboo one is fab, IMO
Old 01-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by roxannebcb
Originally Posted by Drew
You may want to consider purchasing fabric from Connecting Threads!
How is the fabric from Connecting Threads? Is it more like Joann's or like a quilt store? Do you know what I mean?
I just love the fabric from Connecting Thread - order there all the time
Old 01-09-2011, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I love Connecting Threads fabrics too!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Search for Connecting Threads - lots of opinions. Some love it, others not so much. Myself, I think it's between Joann's and LQS quality.

As for the plastic bags, I think there should be a tax on them. We need to start paying for what we use. If you choose to use something that is wasteful and polluting to produce when there are relatively harmless alterntives, you should pay for it. It's a sin tax just like any other. I never take a plastic bag when shopping.

As for fabric prices, let's not panic until there's something to panic about. I'll wait and see what prices actually end up being at LQS's and online before worrying too much.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by roxannebcb
Originally Posted by Drew
You may want to consider purchasing fabric from Connecting Threads!
How is the fabric from Connecting Threads? Is it more like Joann's or like a quilt store? Do you know what I mean?
I just love the fabric from Connecting Thread - order there all the time
Me too! Their service is GREAT! And I love their quilt kits!! :thumbup:
Old 01-09-2011, 08:26 AM
rb.

Just like gas, and wheat a few years ago (remember when the cost of a bag of flour tripled?), cotton will go up and down. For the Americans on the forum, I don't think you realize how very inexpensive your consumer goods have been for decades, as compared to other countries. You are now beginning to catch up to the rest of us. In Canada, I've been paying $16-$22 a metre (about a yard) for batiks for years, and a metre of batting at a national fabric store has run between $20-$30.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 AM

I wonder what is going to happen over here in Britain - I often see cotton at £12/metre!