Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda prices going up >

Moda prices going up

Moda prices going up

Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM

I agree. Products in the US are usually much cheaper than elsewhere. Just compare gas prices!

Originally Posted by rb.
Just like gas, and wheat a few years ago (remember when the cost of a bag of flour tripled?), cotton will go up and down. For the Americans on the forum, I don't think you realize how very inexpensive your consumer goods have been for decades, as compared to other countries. You are now beginning to catch up to the rest of us. In Canada, I've been paying $16-$22 a metre (about a yard) for batiks for years, and a metre of batting at a national fabric store has run between $20-$30.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 AM

I went into one of my LQS, it was empty, and I looked at a particular coloured fabric that I wanted, when I asked the price she said "£9 per metre" without thinking I said "No wonder your shop is empty" :shock: I apologised and we spoke for a while but I walked out without buying anything. I know that they have to hold stock for such a while and our Import duty is enormous but............

Quilting is an expensive hobby so I shop around. As I have said in other postings I buy my fabric from thousandsofbolts and a UK store http://www.abakhan.co.uk/acatalog/Craft_Fabrics.html which I am fortunate enough to live close enough for us Ladies to have a day out, lunching n shopping :P but they do a good postal service.

Until the UK government does something about the Import duty, which will not be in my lifetime, we have to suffer it although I don't know how much longer our LQS will be able to continue.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Originally Posted by Rose_P
I am wondering if the new plastic bag tax goes thru with the new congress (20 cents PER bag) if fabric stores will be charging for that also.
Seems one guy tried to get the plastic bags outlawed, didn't work so now he wants to impose another tax on the people.
They said on the news that it is mainly aimed at grocery stores, but I have a feeling it would be any retail operation that uses plastic bags.
We the people are getting taxed to death and beyond.
If they do that, I'll be making reusable bags from the uglier parts of my stash. I should have done it by now, except I reuse the plastic ones for cleaning the cat litter and picking up after the dogs, and will have to come up with another plan.
That is one of the things I use the plastic bags for also. And they are perfect size for the small bathroom trash containers.
Congress has to pass the tax on the bags first. We can hope and pray that they decline passage of this guys tax.

From wht I've heard, it's safer and healthier to make our own grocery/shopping bags since "they" have said that lead has been detected in the some of the reusable bags being offered. I suppose those are the ones manufactured in China.

I find it interesting that there is such an uproar over the plastic bags since it is made from the otherwise unuseable by-product in the production of natural gas and would otherwise be wasted, along with the jobs for those involved in the process. I'd rather get rid of the junkie plastic toys - also loaded with lead.

Making our own bags would be a great way of using "ugly" fabric (only ugly in the eyes of the beholder) and satisfying the urge to sew and be creative at the same time.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Renee110
I'll just have to start buying cheap material and making do. You know, I remember the reason my mother made our clothes was to save money. Now it's cheaper to buy the clothes and not make them. I'm only 40 so I'm not talking about in the 30's or anything. I grew up late 70's and 80's.
it's cheaper to buy at wally world than to even think of making things now.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Originally Posted by Rose_P
I am wondering if the new plastic bag tax goes thru with the new congress (20 cents PER bag) if fabric stores will be charging for that also.
Seems one guy tried to get the plastic bags outlawed, didn't work so now he wants to impose another tax on the people.
They said on the news that it is mainly aimed at grocery stores, but I have a feeling it would be any retail operation that uses plastic bags.
We the people are getting taxed to death and beyond.
If they do that, I'll be making reusable bags from the uglier parts of my stash. I should have done it by now, except I reuse the plastic ones for cleaning the cat litter and picking up after the dogs, and will have to come up with another plan.
That is one of the things I use the plastic bags for also. And they are perfect size for the small bathroom trash containers.
Congress has to pass the tax on the bags first. We can hope and pray that they decline passage of this guys tax.

From wht I've heard, it's safer and healthier to make our own grocery/shopping bags since "they" have said that lead has been detected in the some of the reusable bags being offered. I suppose those are the ones manufactured in China.

I find it interesting that there is such an uproar over the plastic bags since it is made from the otherwise unuseable by-product in the production of natural gas and would otherwise be wasted, along with the jobs for those involved in the process. I'd rather get rid of the junkie plastic toys - also loaded with lead.

Making our own bags would be a great way of using "ugly" fabric (only ugly in the eyes of the beholder) and satisfying the urge to sew and be creative at the same time.
Grocery store where I shop has recycled on the bags. They are doing something to keep the junk trash down.
One might think oh it's only 20 cents a bag - hey it ADDS up over time. With everything else going up, that added cost means you can't purchase as much when it comes to things like food.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:11 AM

There is also the problem of cross contamination with your reusable bags if you don't wash them between uses.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rismstress
It's a good thing I have enough fabric to last me two lifetimes. I won't be buying at these prices too often.
Cheryl
Same here, only will buy fill ins.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM

how can people afford to buy them. before long quilts will be so much to make no one will buy them.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 AM

I have heard dont be surprised at $12.00 a yard batiks
Old 01-09-2011, 11:36 AM

I guess we can look at it a couple of ways. In the 70's there was a BIG price hike in sugar. We women knew life could go on without that little pack of sugar. Women drove the prices down. Gas, well it has gone up little by little, however more people are car pooling OR just not going to town as often. NOT spending the money. YET the gas war of the 70's also put the little man out of business. When I see price hikes like this, It makes me wonder, can the little shops survive? How can we quilters HELP the little shops stay in business? They are out teachers and there for us. Can the little shops sell more at whole sale and make their money in the class room (sort of speaking)? When people learn to WORK TOGETHER helping each other, we on a whole will get our needs met as well. (for instance) IF I were to lose my job, had difficulty paying house note, before I gave up, I'd rent rooms out to save my home.) So I guess I ask you other quilters, HOW can we help the little guy stay in business??????