Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mom's voice in my ear... >

Mom's voice in my ear...

Mom's voice in my ear...

Old 05-08-2011, 05:55 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

"Be careful with those needles! If you drop one on the floor pick it up RIGHT AWAY. You know, if you step on it, it can travel right to your HEART!"

Mom is still alive, at 87.

:idea:

I think I need to ask her to provide me with a better quote to remember!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:56 PM

when I would act out, or lose my temper, Mom would say," That's not my Carol". I never wanted to disappoint her, so that usually did the trick. My Mom was probably the kindest and nicest person I knew. She "lived" the meaning of being a Christian. I didnt really know how wonderful she was to others until visitation at her funeral. People we didn"t even know came to tell of the help she had given to them in their time of need. Mom has been gone for 40 years, and I still miss her and talk to her when I am in need.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:14 PM

I read through all these posts, with tears in my eyes by the time I got to the last one! My mom has been gone a little over a year, I could never explain the void in my life, I am so thankful to have had her as my mom, she provided great entertainment at times, because she was deaf, she hated to always ask people to repeat things so sometimes she would respond to what she thought had been said and so we would occasionally have what I would joke were creative conversations. I miss them. She was a proud woman, and she loved her children and grandchildren. She would brighten any room with a smile, always positive and encouraging.... she loved for me to sew while she would paint, we never had to talk, just enjoyed the company. I have been blessed.

A friend of mines mom would always say to us as we went out, "Be careful and remember who you are"....
Old 05-08-2011, 06:15 PM

If it's messy, eat it over the sink.
Be your own sweet self.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:43 PM

When I was first learning to sew from my Mom. (She was a professional seamstress) she would tell me the garment should look as good if you wore it inside out. That made a big impression on me. I just wanted to get it done and she wanted it done right. Mom has been gone 6 years and it still hurts.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:28 PM

It will be 10 years June 18th (also on my 1st love's birhtday--Sir Paul) that she has been gone. And I think of her all the time and have her ashes. She was born and raised in Canada and they had nothing.She always told me she eats what she wants because as a kid she went hungry all the time. But her accent was so funny...she was making heggs(eggs), air conchiny (air conditioning). Many more that I can't remember now.Reading something she wrote was just as funny. She used to always ask me when are you going to get this house in order (I always had projects going and I did all the repairs), it always looks like your in the middle of something.I talk to her a lot and when I really miss her I curse her for not being here to fold my whites. Every thurs. we would go shopping all day and she would come over for dinner and fold my whites while I made her her favorite meal...shepherds pie and she had to have pickles with it. I REALLY MISS HER
Old 05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
rb.

The only thing I hear my mom saying to me regarding sewing is from when I was growing up. We lived in the country, and those days we were lucky to catch 3 channls through the air from Michigan. On the long winter weekends, there was only sports on. When I was bored to tears, she'd tell me, "go make a blouse.". LOL. She didn't quilt...she made porcelain dolls from pouring the slip into molds, to painting eyebrows with single hair brushes, to designing and sewing the elaborate gowns. She passed away 2 years ago this week.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:51 PM

It wasn't so much what she said, but what she did... Although I didn't quilt when my mom was still alive, I was always making something creative. I swear, my mom displayed everything I ever made all over the walls of her house. What a special gift she gave me by showing me how much she loved my talents!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Hi,

My Mom didn't quilt or sew much, but was always supportive of my joy in quilting.....I miss her.
My dear Auntie Dorothy was a knitter, I have about 37 handmade sweaters in my cedar chest she made for my sons, who are now in their 30's. Beautiful Mary Maxim type patterns, I have puppies, fireman, Sesame characters, fish, bunnies, clowns...etc. in all sizes from tiny to big enough for a 6 year old.
Anyway, she told me when I started to quilt that I should always use the best quality fabric I could afford. She said if I was going to make this beautiful quilt it needed to be made so it would last, my time and skill was worth it.
Her sweaters were made from good quality yarn so they wore well and have kept well........so no wonder I love my LQS!
Miss all the special women who have passed from my life.
Happy Mother's Day ladies!

Bev
Old 05-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

My Mom has always told me...If You're gonna do it, do it right! She taught me how to sew and is still sewing herself at 84 year of age!