Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More photos re: sashing, cornerstones, borders >

More photos re: sashing, cornerstones, borders

More photos re: sashing, cornerstones, borders

Old 03-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

I like the print sashing. Just want to let you know that while I was looking at the pictures my husband came into the room saw the picture and said,"WOW, I like that". We may be old fashion but the print also got a wow. I know that whatever you do it will be a beautiful quilt. BrendaK
Old 03-04-2014, 04:18 AM

Both are lovely, but I have to say I like the cream/white sashing best... but I agree with Peaceful, you might want to consider how you are going to have it quilted... that may help you make your decision.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:20 AM

I prefer the print sashing. It ties the whole thing together. I nice pale yellow flange (or peach, or orange) just inside an outer border would be a nice addition also.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:27 AM

prefer the white- can you add a touch of orange and send a pic. of that? I used some burnt orange as a border flange in a black and white quilt I made last year for DS for Christmas. It was a challenge quilt for our quilting group and part of the challenge was to add a pop color I really didn't want to since it was to be black and white quilt and to me that is just it and nothing else needs to be added but I followed the rules. It turned out o.k.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:32 AM

[QUOTE=mme3924;6606788]Forgive me for bringing this back to the board, but my request for suggestions and your thoughtful comments have resulted in a kind of epiphany for me. The photos below demonstrate what I've realized. The white on white sashing, though a pretty severe contrast, draws attention to the blocks and makes them "pop"--stand out. The print sashing, which someone suggested, lets the blocks disappear, so that the eye goes to the center: the pinwheels and 4 patches, and/or sees the quilt as a whole. Because I'm old school and like "matchy matchy" as designers now call it, I respond to the more traditional, formal, print sashing. It unifies the quilt, blends it, puts the emphasis on the entire quilt instead of the individual blocks. I like it....and I also think it is a little boring.

Until I studied photos of these layouts I hadn't ever fully realized what sashing--as well as borders, etc.--can and sometimes does, do to completely change a quilt's total image. A long time sewer, I'm a fairly new quilter and I'm still fascinated by the visuals, the illusions, of quilts -- the primary and secondary patterns that are created by the blocks and the arrangement of blocks and surrounding fabric -- and I'm still learning about it. Sometimes you--or I, at least-- cannot see these with the eye, but the camera sees it. (I discovered that when making my chicken attic window quilt; I couldn't see and appreciate the illusion until I took photos of it. ) Also, sometimes we (as the creators) are just too close to the project and can no longer see either the pieces or the whole.

Anyway, still not sure how I will finish this quilt. Will I go safe and comfortable with the print sashing or modern and a little daring with the WOW? Will I use the orange as a very narrow flange? Haven't decided. But I wanted to share what your suggestions and comments have helped me realize!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465487[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]465492[/ATTACH][/QUOTe
I also like the white one.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I like both, although the white does make the blocks stand out better and shows the colors better. I guess it depends on how you want it to look. Your quilt and your decision is what counts.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 AM

Another thought- next quilt see how a touch of BLACK makes your blocks "pop".
Amazing the power of white or black in a quilt!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Agree! No matter what sashing a narrow orange is going to make this quilt.
I agree with "neither way is wrong" just a different choice. My preference is the white but that's me but I do think the flange is going to make this quilt.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:39 AM

Wow both are beautiful but the white really brings out a "pop" of the blocks!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:43 AM

I would love to see these blocks with a sashing made up of three narrow strips: white-orange-white. If the sashing is 2 inches wide, make the orange only 1/2 inch wide. Wonder how that would affect the overall look.