Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More photos re: sashing, cornerstones, borders >

More photos re: sashing, cornerstones, borders

More photos re: sashing, cornerstones, borders

Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 AM

Default More photos re: sashing, cornerstones, borders

Forgive me for bringing this back to the board, but my request for suggestions and your thoughtful comments have resulted in a kind of epiphany for me. The photos below demonstrate what I've realized. The white on white sashing, though a pretty severe contrast, draws attention to the blocks and makes them "pop"--stand out. The print sashing, which someone suggested, lets the blocks disappear, so that the eye goes to the center: the pinwheels and 4 patches, and/or sees the quilt as a whole. Because I'm old school and like "matchy matchy" as designers now call it, I respond to the more traditional, formal, print sashing. It unifies the quilt, blends it, puts the emphasis on the entire quilt instead of the individual blocks. I like it....and I also think it is a little boring.

Until I studied photos of these layouts I hadn't ever fully realized what sashing--as well as borders, etc.--can and sometimes does, do to completely change a quilt's total image. A long time sewer, I'm a fairly new quilter and I'm still fascinated by the visuals, the illusions, of quilts -- the primary and secondary patterns that are created by the blocks and the arrangement of blocks and surrounding fabric -- and I'm still learning about it. Sometimes you--or I, at least-- cannot see these with the eye, but the camera sees it. (I discovered that when making my chicken attic window quilt; I couldn't see and appreciate the illusion until I took photos of it. ) Also, sometimes we (as the creators) are just too close to the project and can no longer see either the pieces or the whole.

Anyway, still not sure how I will finish this quilt. Will I go safe and comfortable with the print sashing or modern and a little daring with the WOW? Will I use the orange as a very narrow flange? Haven't decided. But I wanted to share what your suggestions and comments have helped me realize!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465487[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]465492[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc02078.jpg   dsc02099.jpg  
Old 03-03-2014, 08:18 AM

Personally, I like the white, which I never would have guessed. I think a skinny orange flange around each block and also on the border would be really cool!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 AM

I love these blocks. It will be interesting to see your final choices. I'm sure it will be great no matter which way you go. I prefer the white, but it is not my quilt. It is one of the things I love about quilting: Different people can make the same pattern so different with just small design choices that make big impacts.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I like the print sashing better than the white. Nice blocks and it will look good either way but I like to go with what will stay clean looking the longest.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:45 AM

I like the white. Not sure why though. Somehow it gives it a crisp look.

Dina
Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 AM

I like the white.. it adds just a bit more color/contrast.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I like the white. Not sure why though. Somehow it gives it a crisp look.

Dina
Exactly how I feel, the print is very pretty and not a wrong choice because it does exactly as you described and emphasize the whole quilt not the blocks. Either way I would love to see the narrow orange flange incorporated.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Exactly how I feel, the print is very pretty and not a wrong choice because it does exactly as you described and emphasize the whole quilt not the blocks. Either way I would love to see the narrow orange flange incorporated.
Agree! No matter what sashing a narrow orange is going to make this quilt.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:41 AM

I like the contrast of the white, but either way will look great!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 AM

White seems more modern while print seems more traditional. Either one is beautiful. Depends on the recipient maybe?