Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The most basic of questions >

The most basic of questions

The most basic of questions

Old 02-18-2015, 04:47 AM

I agree with the advice already given and I just wanted to say hang in there! You're not going to be defeated by some thread and a piece of fabric!!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

OK. It has been my belief that it is the tiny bump that happens when pressing the seam to one side. But I don't press my seams open because that can cause another can of worms. I cut on the line just above the line thickness on the ruler and that solves the problem for me. If you are consistently just a tiny bit smaller, then don't worry, I would just piece the quilt as is. Does this quilt need to have a specific measurements? Then add the difference to the border. It is not going to be that great of a difference as long as your seams are ALL consistent.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

The term '1/4 inch' seam is both a misnomer & a moving target. It's misnamed because you don't measure the seam, you measure the resultant patch. Here's a good way to check:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
It's a moving target because different fabric and thread combos can make the seam placement different on different projects. Some folks are lucky with their 1/4" foot because it is positioned correctly for their fabric & thread choices. I have to move my needle position to get the seam where it needs to be, and if I use different thread or fabric, I recheck at the start of the project and adjust the needle position if needed. It only takes a couple minutes. Once you figure out where the seam should be, you may find that the foot guide isn't going to work, or your machine has a fixed needle position then you need to use a piece of tape or magnetic guide to create the correct seam.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
your seam can be exactly 1/4" but it can be smaller because of the size of the thread. if the thread is thick-ish and you fold over your fabric, space is taken up by the thread. make sense? you could try using a finer thread and/or sew a scant 1/4". practice with 3 1.5" strips sewn together. sew and press as usual. then measure the center strip... it should be exactly 1". some machines have the capability of moving the needle over a little. good luck for a successful finish. And welcome to the QB.
QuiltnNan, your reply was right in. Just want to add a few comments. I have sewn for years but have found the patchwork foot WITH GUIDE to be very helpful. I have one machine (Pfaff Passport) which is my designated piecing machine. The seams are perfect width. I also have a Bernina. It is so frustrating because I have to move the needle to get the perfect 1/4" seam. I use this machine for FMQ and embroidery.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I have been quilting since 1992 and have yet to achieve the quarter inch seam. I figure if one block is off a bit, they all will be. I just keep sewing.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:15 AM

I also do as ManiacQuilter2 after hear Bonnie Hunter suggest as well. Instead of cutting with my fabric exactly on the measurement, I give myself a couple of extra threads of fabric by lining up with the outside edge of the measurement line.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 AM

You are getting a lot of great advice here. I had the same frustration. I now use a 50wt thread on top and 60 wt on the bottom to piece, both by Superior Thread which isn't necessarily relevant, and also cut my fabric allowing an extra thread on the fabric edge if my finished pieces aren't coming out 100% true to size. I use my 1/4 " foot as a guide, but move my needle position and stitch a test square as advised previously and check the end result to make sure I'm getting the finished product the size I'm looking for. That is the only way to check whether or not your seams are accurate. I am happy to say my piecing accuracy has improved 100% since making these changes.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:22 AM

Are you pressing with steam after you sew and before you measure? I've had some amazing shrinking doing that.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:35 AM

Kitsie has a good point. If you don't prewash/preshrink fabric and use steam or starch, your fabrics could be shrinking.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:05 AM

Here is Judy Martin's method... of testing/setting your seam allowance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH9QdMHjnug