Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The most basic of questions >

The most basic of questions

The most basic of questions

Old 02-18-2015, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

As long as the piecing is consistent throughout the quilt the seams will match and it should be fine. Te scant loss of the full inch is because of the fold in the seam. That is also why people sew with a scant 1/4" seam allowance to compensate for that little amount.
peace
Old 02-18-2015, 03:26 PM

Here's what I did to reestablish how to get a 1/4" seam when I started quilting again after a many year break. I cut 4 pieces 1.5" by 4", then I sewed them together, pressed them and measured the full width of the resulting piece, which should be 4.5" exactly. Then I cut 4 more and did it again, adjusting for whether I was under or over. I did this several times until I knew exactly where the right spot was on my machine and foot.

It can be hard to tell if you are slightly off with only one seam, but when you multiply that you multiply any problems and it's easier to tell if you are off a bit.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 PM

When I was working on a quilt last summer that included various blocks with 1 inch pieces that were to end up 3 and 1/2 squares, I finally found that if I used spray starch on the fabric before I cut the small pieces and spray starched each time I pressed each step of the construction of each block I had much better results. This after much seam ripping and frustration. Finally, I remembered reading on this board somewhere about "starching until the fabric felt like paper." So that is what I did and it worked for that project. Not really needed for every project. I use Aurifil thread for piecing and FMQ, if that helps. I think it is 50 weight. Good luck with your quilt!
Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

Are your 5- inch squares actually five inches square?

When I cut my own squares with a ruler - they are actually a smidge larger than the measurement bcause of the distsnce between the ruler edge and the cutting line of the rotary blade. It is a very small amount - but it is still a tiny bit larger than 5x5.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 PM

Lots of good advice but I would advise against open seams. They are a disaster waiting to happen when trying to line up seams. If you think through the project and iron your seams the correct way, all your folded over seams will lock against each other when you are sewing two adjacent rows together. The method of locking seams as you sew even works with slight discrepancies in block width when you are sewing. You can get the hang of locking the upper and lower fabric together and find out how to make your sewing machine feet even out the fabric as you sew down a line of connections. Much easier to show in person than describe here.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:36 AM

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I almost didn't post this because I felt kind of stupid but now I see that this more common than I thought.

I will try your ideas and I'm sure that with practice I will be able to get this figured out.

Originally Posted by GemQuilts View Post
Hello,

I have quilted, on and off, for about 30 years. You would think at this point I'd have certain basic things down, but no.

This weekend I started a quilt for my grandson who will be here in June. I picked a simple cornerstone and sashing pattern since it had been awhile since I've done any quilting. I bought a stack of 5" squares online, and proceeded to cut 5" by 1.5" strips, and 1.5" squares for the sashiing and cornerstones.

Here's the problem: No matter how I cut and sew the pieces, I can't get the pieces to come out the right size. The cornerstones, which should be exactly one inch after sewing 1/4 inch seam, always come out just shy of an inch, same thing with the sashings. I have tried my 1/4 inch foot, regular foot, and no matter what I do, I can't get the pieces to line up! It's very frustrating and I think I know now why I go so long without quilting. The squares are exactly 1.5", the seams are exactly 1/4", yet the squares are smaller than an inch!! The math should add up but yet it doesn't.

Short of hand piecing everything, which I don't have the time to do, any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Karen
Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 AM

I don't worry about the scant seam. If all the blocks are pieced using the same thread and the same machine, isn't it all relative? We used to say it's all relative in hand grenades and hang nails. So, if everything is off by the tiniest bit, won't the blocks still fit together? I'd go nuts trying to make every single seam exact. It just isn't in me!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I don't worry about the scant seam. If all the blocks are pieced using the same thread and the same machine, isn't it all relative? We used to say it's all relative in hand grenades and hang nails. So, if everything is off by the tiniest bit, won't the blocks still fit together? I'd go nuts trying to make every single seam exact. It just isn't in me!!!
I have found when sewing small blocks, using a microtech needle will also help. Good pressing and needle adjustment should do it. Good Luck!!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
When you measure, you should NOT be measuring the seam. Cut 3 strips 1 1/2 inch x 3 1/2 inch. Sew the long sides together. Press the seams to the side. Now, from the right side, measure the center strip. It should measure 1 inch - from seam to seam on the FRONT. If it does not then you need to adjust your seam allowance (even if the seam itself measures EXACTLY 1/4 inch). In the end it really doesn't matter what the seam allowance is. The only thing that matters is the size of the piece after it is sewn.
exactly my feelings - don't get hung up on actual size of seam allowance the finished size Is what is important - no one sees the seam allowance once the quilt is finished, but they do see the finished size of the blocks
Old 02-19-2015, 08:19 AM

Welcome to the best Quilting Forum on the 'net. Every quilt I make presents this problem. I try so hard to be accurate in my measuring and cutting and still I can end up "off." I've started lightly starching my fabric before cutting and that has helped so much and I take time to check myself as I go along with each block. Fellow member, lakekids, really gets it when she states "The only thing that matters is the size of the piece after its sewn."