Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The most basic of questions >

The most basic of questions

The most basic of questions

Old 02-19-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I don't worry about the scant seam. If all the blocks are pieced using the same thread and the same machine, isn't it all relative? We used to say it's all relative in hand grenades and hang nails. So, if everything is off by the tiniest bit, won't the blocks still fit together? I'd go nuts trying to make every single seam exact. It just isn't in me!!!
Not exactly true. If you are sewing pieces together that need to come out a certain size to fit a piece that is already cut, as in 3 little blocks sewn together and the then joined to one long rectangle. If your piecing isn't accurate they won't match.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:25 AM

The Connecting Threads Essentials is cotton and the Essentials Pro is Polyester. Does that make a difference on the finished quilt if you are using the different types of thread for your project? I have only used the Essentials for piecing and quilting for both the top and bottom threads. I love the thread from Connecting Threads; it works very well in my machine.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Try glue basting the whole blocks together. This helps me find the problem when my block sews up too small. I found most of my problem is in the pressing of the seams. Connecting Threads cotton is 50 wt 3ply. That is too thick for top and bobbin for piecing. Try a thinner thread in the bobbin. I like Connecting Threads Pro on the cone. It's 70 wt and strong.

Last edited by dee1245; 02-19-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

My Juki TL98QE has a compensating foot that will also fit on my Baby Lock Jane. I use it to get a consistent seam. I make up a lot of my patterns and don't need a real 1/4" seam. The seams are whatever they are, usually 1/4". If I need the quilt to be a certain size I just add borders. Consistency is the real important part. Being careful to have the pieces next to the immovable part of the foot will keep them right.
Remember we are our worst critics. Up close is the easiest way to see the mistakes.
By the way, Welcome to this wonderful board. There are no dumb questions and most people on this board are willing to help and give advice. Most of us have had the same problems everyone has/had.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:38 PM

Go to a 50 or 60 wt thread. Bottom line or SewFine works. Also...don't do a full 1/4" seam...set the needle just shy of 1/4". If the cornerstones are slightly large..trim them down. Another thing I saw on youtube...you want to include the black/color ruler marks when cutting the strips/blocks. I used to center on the ruler lines...Then realized that by including them...it works!
Marge

Originally Posted by GemQuilts View Post
Hello,

I have quilted, on and off, for about 30 years. You would think at this point I'd have certain basic things down, but no.

This weekend I started a quilt for my grandson who will be here in June. I picked a simple cornerstone and sashing pattern since it had been awhile since I've done any quilting. I bought a stack of 5" squares online, and proceeded to cut 5" by 1.5" strips, and 1.5" squares for the sashiing and cornerstones.

Here's the problem: No matter how I cut and sew the pieces, I can't get the pieces to come out the right size. The cornerstones, which should be exactly one inch after sewing 1/4 inch seam, always come out just shy of an inch, same thing with the sashings. I have tried my 1/4 inch foot, regular foot, and no matter what I do, I can't get the pieces to line up! It's very frustrating and I think I know now why I go so long without quilting. The squares are exactly 1.5", the seams are exactly 1/4", yet the squares are smaller than an inch!! The math should add up but yet it doesn't.

Short of hand piecing everything, which I don't have the time to do, any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Karen
Old 02-19-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Are your 5- inch squares actually five inches square?

When I cut my own squares with a ruler - they are actually a smidge larger than the measurement bcause of the distsnce between the ruler edge and the cutting line of the rotary blade. It is a very small amount - but it is still a tiny bit larger than 5x5.
This was going to be my question also. We've had quite a few posts on this site about how manufacturers measure their precut strips. This could also be true with precut squares. Some mfgr. measure from in the valley of one side of a "pinked" edge to the point on the other side.

Don't automatically assume that the problem is in your sewing!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 PM

If you take (3) 2and a half inch blocks and sew them together..you should end up with an exact 6 and 1/2 inches....you should be able to iron, then measure them....this will tell you if your 1/4 inch guide is off(needle position, moleskin, foot) whatever you use to get your 1/4 "...if it's off, then investigate that.
But.....when making the same blocks on the same machine, even if it is off, they should all come together well because even 1/4" plus a "tad" will translate out to everything, and it should come together fine.
In your situation, if it was me...I would just accept it and go row by row and get them lined up...it is just sashing, and a tad off will never be noticed by anyone but you!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:21 AM

Could it be your cutting which is slightly off? By cutting with the rotary cutter at 90* to the fabric you cut stripes slightly wider. Also the location of the 1.5 line on the ruler in relation to the fabric edge will also make a difference.
Position ruler exactly on the edge and use the rotary cutter at 45* angle to the fabric.
measure the stripes and squares and see if the begin the same size prior to sewing.
this was something I did wrong for ages and it made stripes a whisker. Larger each time.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:59 AM

Be sure you are setting the seam before pressing to one side. This may make the difference as the thread is being pressed into the fabric first. Then consider adjusting the size of the cut piece or the size of the seam. It's the finished product that counts and nobody will see the underside.

As to the disappearing points, I prefer to make blocks a little bigger and trim to size--and again, nobody sees the underside so you can fudge a bit to make it happen.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:39 AM

I try never to deal with 1.5" squares. If I need a 1.5" sashing block, I sew a 1.5" strip to the sashing fabric and then I
sub-cut that to make a sashing with the sashing block attached.
However, that doesn't help if you have already cut all your 1.5" squares. One possibility is to buy 1/4" wonder-under
or steam-a-seam lite and use that to attach your squares to your sashes.
I am sorry that you are feeling so unhappy with quilting but I find that problems such as yours are most likely to arise
when sewing under the pressure of a deadline.
GOOD LUCK!
JUDY
Old 02-20-2015, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Kitsie has a good point. If you don't prewash/preshrink fabric and use steam or starch, your fabrics could be shrinking.
I was thinking the same thing. If you don't prewash, those tiny pieces could be shrinking when you press them. Personally, I find if the thread is the same in the top and bottom I usually don't have a problem. Maybe if we knew what pattern you were making it would help.