Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My "Aha" moment

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis
    ...or maybe I should say, my "duh" moment!
    I bought my sewing machine before I ever started quilting. Have been quilting now for about 9 years, I guess, and I just discovered I have a 1/4" foot in my tool kit! Argghh!!!!
    Ooooh! That means that I should check to see whether I have one in mine. LOL Thanks for the reminder!

ROFLMAO

I think we have all been there at some point in our lives! :) The important thing here is that we can laugh at ourselves. I do that a lot! :)

Blog Entries
    Giggle!!! Thanks for sharing you aha moment! Gave me smiles. I've had my "pound head on desk several times" experiences because of something or other. Giggle!!! :roll: :wink: :lol:

Blog Entries
    You sound like me lol I am self taught and I learn something new everyday. This board has helped alot. I have purchased stuff without knowing what it was before - now I am learning what it is and some are very helpful :D

Blog Entries
    Buuuttttt...what a great surprize!! LOL!

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    Hilarious....thanks for my morning giggle!

aren't surprises fun. You can say look what I got!.

My machine is sneaking on to 40 years old. Unfortunately it did not come with a 1/4" foot...I checked last week. :( Even to put something on the surface to give myself a 1/4" edge to butt up against is tricky as the 1/4" from my needle is smack in the middle of the right feed dog!!!! My solution was to use a thick piece of cardboard taped to the surface, stopping just in front of the feed dogs. Sometimes you just have to do whatever works on each machine. I suspect if I looked, I could buy a 1/4" foot....but this is cheaper. (Read..more $$$ for fabric. ;) )

Patti

Blog Entries
    guess I'll have to check that out - my machine predates my quilting - had it abut 7-8 years now Maybe I have that wonderful gadget !

Boy, have I done that too! And what's worse is buying something and then later forgetting what it is I am supposed to do with it! :o)

sassyg wrote: LOL, LOL...That was really just too amazing...like the lady who told the true story on the GCC forum about the man calling in the service tech for problems with his computer not working and went on and on when the problem was the electricity had gone out of his building....poor tech lost his job because he told the man to take back his computer because he was just to stupid to own a computer.

Years ago my neighbor called the TV man because her TV would not even turn on. Problem: extension cord was dead.
    Husband was not a happy camper as he paid for a service call.

sometimes it pays to read the manual once a year! Glad you found it.

yep....i found out the hard way too...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Just so you know, 1/4" foot does not guarantee 1/4" seams. I hope yours is, but just to make sure: MEASURE your seams/pieces before you sew a whole bunch of stuff assuming that it is perfect. (Ask me why I'm telling you this, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Pzazz
    My machine is sneaking on to 40 years old. Unfortunately it did not come with a 1/4" foot...I checked last week. :( Even to put something on the surface to give myself a 1/4" edge to butt up against is tricky as the 1/4" from my needle is smack in the middle of the right feed dog!!!! My solution was to use a thick piece of cardboard taped to the surface, stopping just in front of the feed dogs. Sometimes you just have to do whatever works on each machine. I suspect if I looked, I could buy a 1/4" foot....but this is cheaper. (Read..more $$$ for fabric. ;) )

Patti
    I have the same problem with 1/4" covering right feed dog. However, I can move my needle to the far right (when I remember to do so) and then mark 1/4". I do not like the 1/4" foot as it does not hold the fabric as snug as the regular foot.

Stick with the "AHA" moment...we have enough "DUH" moments in our lives...

Blog Entries
    About 11 years ago, I bought a Bernina QE (quilters edition) and used it very little until I retired 2 years ago when I really began to sew. I tried and tried to get a 1/4 inch seam and the same thing happened to me...until suddenly I discovered that my machine came with a 1/4 inch quilting foot....DUH, LOL

me too!! i'd had that machine for nearly 2 years. lol

Banned
    Just goes to show you.....you didnt need that foot to get your perfect 1/4" seams.

That's pretty funny. I can imagine your aggravation. Of course, now I have to go through the attachments for my machine and find out what I've been overlooking. Have a great day.

Yes, I think I need to look at my attachments also. Who know what might be in there. I already have the 1/4 inch foot, and a stitch in the ditch foot, but haven't looked too closely at those other feet. :)

When I bought my Husky/Viking sewing machine 5 years ago, I watched the video that came with it. It got to the part explaining how to use the button hole attachment. I looked everywhere for that rascal, and finally determined that I didn't have one. When I called the store where I made my purchase, I was assured it came with the machine and was in the accessory box. I still didn't find it and sat and fumed for a few months, knowing I had been taken for an expensive ride. Low and behold, one day I flipped a lid on the base of the machine (it was setting in a cabinet, and not readily noticeable to me.) There, along with more bobbins was the button-hole attachment! Prior to my purchase, the machine had been used as a demo at the Sisters Quilt Show, and when it was packed up to return to the shop, not all of the accessories were put back where they belonged. Some were in the box, and others were in the super-secret compartment that only bloodhounds could locate. Yes, I did call and apologize to Morrows Sewing Center. Even though I wasn't rude during my first call about the missing part, I needed to let the salesperson know that the part had been located. Talk about feeling sheepish...........baah, baah.

I have one too and never use it any more, I have to remove it or it gets in my way when I want to do anything other than a 1/4" seam

Blog Entries
    Boy can I relate, I hate reading instructions, but then all I want to do on my machine is piece and quilt. I have no idea what all those other attachments or for.

Glad you noticed it now, it could have been ten more years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast