Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My DH is Losing Sleep Over My Sewing table >

My DH is Losing Sleep Over My Sewing table

My DH is Losing Sleep Over My Sewing table

Old 03-20-2011, 01:22 AM

Why dont you try using a door ontop of a table that you have and that is the right height that works for you. I also got my local timber store to make me a top from wood to use when needing a bit more hand space.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

what a sweet husband to want to do this for you.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 AM

Your husband is a keeper!! Feel blessed!! ;)
Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 AM

I was going to suggest a door too. Check around & see if you have a place that recycles building materials from old homes. You can glue formica (counter topping) to it to make a nice smooth surface.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:54 AM

My DH will be making me a table this summer so I will be watching this thread. Please keep us informed.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:18 AM

My husband did exactly the same thing. He finally got the plans for a sewing table from keepsake quilting and made the table 8 years ago. I have moved a few times and that table goes everywhere with me. Right now it is in storage and I will bring it back in 3 weeks. My bedroom will become a sewing room with a bed, and that is the way he wants it for me.

The table is 4 x 6 with a drop for the machine, a leaf that comes in and out for ironing or cutting, and plenty of shelves.
Here is the link:

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...BLE-PLANS-.htm
Old 03-20-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
My DH will be making me a table this summer so I will be watching this thread. Please keep us informed.
I have used my old cot that I slept in as a baby and put my door ontop and it is now a great height for me to work at and also have lots of packing space underneath. I dont want to get rid of the cot so got to make use of it.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 AM

Thank you for all of your responses. My DH is the Best and I certainly am blessed. I was going to write more about what he has already done but my Internet is acting up again. This is the third time I have attempted this. Again, thank you. :)
Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 AM

I have a set of plans and pictures of my completed table my husband made if anyone is interested. I can e-mail or post here. It's really nice and has the raise and lower mechanism as well.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 AM

Such a sweetheart....
We just went through the same thing, and hereis what we did.
My sweetheart listened to what I wanted, and he found a way to provide it.
We found very inexpensive bookcases that were the height we wanted, bought two of them to serve as the "ends" of the table, and then bought a very nice piece of oak that measured perfectly. He then firmly attached the top to the two bookshelves, and voila! Our plan is to stain the top to match the stain of the bookcases, but to be honest, I am thrilled and dont know if I can let him "have it" long enough to dothat...lol!
He wanted to cut a hole for my machine, but I already have a machine table that sits directly behind it.
We now have enough space, I can lay out a complete quilt, do cutting pinning basting and everything, and I am so happy. After all of our research, it ended costing us 60% - 70% LESS than if we had purchased it from a local quilt shop. As soon as I learn how to post pics, I will show it to you.
PS We also began organizing my stash, andhave found we can actually add another set of cases on the sides, if I need extra shelving for-you guessed it-more stash!! :-P :-P
This took some time in the beginning and I wasnt sure it would happen, but as it came together, I realized how right he was.