Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My eyes were bigger than my quilting skills >

My eyes were bigger than my quilting skills

My eyes were bigger than my quilting skills

Old 08-20-2010, 12:06 AM

Go for it lilpooh. You can do it. I did, and if I can applique, anybody can. You will enjoy it, and be so proud of yourself
Old 08-20-2010, 06:51 AM

I have the "Spring Storm" pattern from that company and am collecting fabrics to get started on it! It will be a challenge! I am going to use Heat N Bond Lite for my fusible
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 AM

You are not alone in eyes bigger than skills disease. I think we all have to admit that at one time or another. But, we never grow in ability if we don't stretch to the limits. you had good advice about doing a simple applique or 2. That will give you confidence. Then just dig in. Hit a problem? That's what we're here for. Get tired or frustrated? Put it away for a day and do something else. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 AM

I agree with granniebj - just work on the quilt. That's how I've learned most of my quilting skills - redo; rip out; redo. Words to live by! Good Luck and above all else ENJOY!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:52 AM

Well lady's I too am doing one of these, it is TONI WHITNEY ELUSIVE DEER/ELK PATTERN. Wish me luck as well, thank you!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 AM

You can do it. You may want to find a small project that uses the same applique technique for practice first. Maybe a wall hanging or a table runner. It is not all that bad especially if the pattern has good instructions.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:52 AM

I felt the same way about the Carpenters Square but after "thinking" about it for a few months I said "I can and will do this" So I started cutting my beautiful fabric and making the pretty little blocks and WOW! There it is on my design wall! I put it up last night. My very own Carpenter's wheel! I had the same feelings you did. You can do this!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-104619.jpe  
Old 09-12-2010, 02:07 PM

I'm late in answering your thread, but thought I'd give my two cents anyway! So many quilters are scared of applique. It takes a little patience, but it really isn't difficult. You mentioned using fusibles. Have you ever done that? Have you tried machine applique? I've found doing hand applique with fusible web is very difficult. The edges are very hard to get a needle through and you have to use some kind of stitch to hold the applique edges down. And I've had trouble with fusible webbing fraying. I agree you should try some easy hand applique projects. One good thing to work on is a heart because it has both inside and outside curves. I can recommend an excellent book. Gives many different applique methods with good illustrations. And it is softback so not too expensive. It's THE EASY ART OF APPLIQUE by Mimi Dietrich and Roxi Eppler and published by That Patchwork Place publishers. Good luck!