Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My First Featherweight >

My First Featherweight

My First Featherweight

Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 AM

What a great deal! My Featherweight (Mary Ruth is her name) came to live with me a few months ago. I took her to a 3-day retreat recently and she sewed up a storm. I love her and love the sound she makes. I was the only one at the retreat that didn't have a huge heavy machine to lug around!!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 AM

where do you see them, I have been wanting one for so long. They are great for taking to class and sewing your quilts.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug
Hello, everyone i am so excited i just found a featherweight. at a sewing machine shop. I couldn't believe what he was saying , but he had to have cash.$100.00 So i bought it ,only to find out the light doesn't work , so i will need a light and a owners manual. He added some needles and 8 bobbins.
It could be just the bulb. They take a15 watt 120 volts baionnette base type bulb, not a screw in type. I just had to replace one in one of my FW's. This type bas has two little metal knobs or (bumps) near the bottom of the base and opposite of each other, so the bulb can be inserted and twisted into the socket. Be sure not to get one that one of the knobs is higher than the other, it won't work. I know you didn't ask for all of this info, but I thought I would share. The bulb is not very expensive less than $3.00 and can be found at most hardware or quilting stores. Please check it out before you take it in for any repairs. Have a barrel of fun with your new machine have two and love them. I am currently making a quilt for DH for Christmas on one of mine. This will be the fourth quilt I have made on this particular machine. I haven't used my other one it needs some wiring done first, I bought it over the summer for $100.00 also. The young lady was moving and tired of moving it around, the machine had been her grandmothers. I didn't hestitate, she said she would take a check so I wrote her a check on the spot.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by yolanda
i see these around a lot and am very naive .. good for piecing? How's the stitch quality?
Yolanda, they are great for piecing and their stitch is great. If you don't have one, grab one the next time you see one if you can. You will love it and will never regret buying once you sew on it for a few minutes. They are just jewels.
You can print off a manual or buy one from Desk Dave and repair them yourself. I do mine. I have two manuals, one was in spiral bindings and I took apart and put the pages in plastic sleeves and have them in a 3 ring binder, so easy to use. I bought this one from The Featherweight 221 and I from David McCallum and Desk Daves. The other one is a small book that came with the machine, but it isn't as detailed and this one from Dave.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by yolanda
i see these around a lot and am very naive .. good for piecing? How's the stitch quality?
Great for piecing and excellent stitch quality...I have 4 FW's...had 6, but sold 2 of them.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:46 AM

Congratulations and a good price for the machine. I am sure you will come to love how it sews.

Patience is key to finding one at a good price. And going to lots of garage sales.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Dottie, I have a manual and will copy for you. No problems!! Your little FW is so cute...did you name her yet? Remember my DGD insisted I name mine after her...Miss Sabrina!! LOL
Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 AM

singer sewing machine manuals can be downloaded free from
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html
Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 AM

I already have one or I would have taken it then. She did not quote a price, but for sure it is a one owner machine and barely used. I know I slobbered a lot!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:31 PM

There are lots of places on the internet to find parts for a featherweight, and manuals. I ordered the part that holds the light bulb, and extra bulbs. The light bulb does not screw in on a featherweight. I was also able to get a 1/4 inch foot for it, and a walking foot. You should be able to find just about everything you need. I also got a new belt just in case. You will love sewing on it. I got mine about 15 years ago, its a 1952. I have never had a problem with it and it sews beautifully. Congratulations on your new baby!