Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first quilt, i'm not loving machine quilting....lol >

My first quilt, i'm not loving machine quilting....lol

My first quilt, i'm not loving machine quilting....lol

Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR
Check the longarmers in your area and also on the net. Sometimes you can have a quilt done including batting and back for under $100 - Check around.
That is not too bad I guess, but worry bout the horror stories lol
Old 08-22-2011, 04:47 AM

I like STD, but for probably a very different reason. I haven't done very many quitls, but so far I find I really like the fabric I use and although I love quilts I've seen quilted all over, I think it changes the look of the fabric and I'm always afraid I won't like it as much with quilting all over. This sounds wierd even to me as I say it, but..... That said, I also think the beauty of the quilting shows more in the back of the quilt esp if it's a one design backing.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 AM

I don't care to SID and it's not fun for me to do. But I love meandering, doing simple loops and vining so try that first before you give up on machine quilting.
There's a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself, you can complete your projects faster and save money. I think it's fun to do.You also get better the more you do.
However there is nothing wrong with sending them out to be quilted if that's what you prefer. If I ever make a really special quilt that I want more detailed quilting on, I will send it out.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 AM

Mizlee, I too hated quilting my first quilt. JUst keeping the weight of my quilt so that I could sew was hard. About 8 quilts later, I figured out that if I placed my ironing board perpendicular to my sewing machine, on the left, the ironing board could support the weight of my quilt, and I could quilt easily. Twenty quilts later, I can say that I find machine quilting very satisfying.

However, all I do is SID or some sort of diagonal, from corner to corner of each block. I have not tried anything else, and I am quite happy. Like Ministutz, I am one who doesn't prefer all of the quilting. I just like less, so I make sure the batting I use requires less.

I also have a foot that is just for stitch in the ditch. It makes hitting that ditch soooo easy. I do have a built in walking foot on my machine, so that may make a difference also.

Hope the ironing board hint is helpful?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:45 AM

I've been quiling for about four years...and must say I felt as you do in the beginning...I'm finaly getting more comfortalbe with free motion....after awhile you cant SITD everything,. GIve yourself time.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:50 AM

I am working with an older phaff machine and enjoy the FMQ I can do... getting better, use to only tie quilts than got brave but the throat of it is just not that big, but .. anyway what kind of frame ??? will it work on regurlar machine? I'd be interested to hear
Originally Posted by ontheriver
I'm sorry you're not liking the quilting. Every one has different parts of the quilting process that they like and dislike and I know many people send their tops out to be quilted. That is your choice. I used to hand quilt everything and I hated it, which is why I had tons of tops but very few finished products. Then I discovered I can quilt on my machine. I tried it and I absolutely love it. I think it fun!! So hard to describe but I feel like I am dancing with the quilt as I move it around under the needle. Sounds silly I know. I am no where near as good as the long armers on this board, but I hope in time I will. I am getting a frame for my machine next Sat. and am so looking forward to it.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 AM

I am fairly new at quilting and I am just about to start actually quilting on my Brothers Quattro machine. We will see how that goes.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:41 AM

I can't afford to send my quilts out. Or if I did I couldn't afford fabric for as many quilts as I make. I started with SID and it was OK. Realized I didn't have to keep my stitches in the ditch and did some diagonal and fancy stitching with the walking foot. Moved on to FMQ using stencils. Learning to FMQ without stencils.

What I've learned: Every quilt calls for it's own method of quilting. Some need patterned quilting, and some call for SID. Sometimes quilting is to enhance, and sometimes it needs to hide and let the piecing be the showpiece.

Try it all. You'll find what you like. After all, it's not cocaine or alcohol, so this addiction won't kill you. It might make you go broke though.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by mizlee123
I have posted a few pictures of my first quilt during the process of cutting, piecing, putting it all together, binding, etc. I am now machine quilting it, in the ditch, just for practice and to see how it looks. I'm quickly discovering that this is not my favorite thing to do and it doesn't add any beauty to my quilt. I'm seriously considering just doing the tops and then getting someone else to quilt it. Am I crazy? Is this too expensive? How many of you just do tops and then have someone else quilt it? I see Charismahs work and it always add tons of beauty to a lovingly made quilt...
Oh, I'm with you. I can piece so much better than I can quilt. I am NOT happy with my FMQ, that said, I have found that I like the effect that going from the top corner to the bottom corner (same side of the block) in a gentle arching motion looks nice to me and it's much easier to do. If you do that on all four sides and then the surrounding squares you actually get a nice design!!! I would love to send my quilt tops out to be quilted, but right now money is tight, and I'm stubborn enough to keep trying until I'm happy with my results! Charishmah need never fear me! ;-) I think it would be very difficult to duplicate on a home sewing machine the same results as you get on a long arm...I'm sure some can do it. Just not me :lol:
Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 AM

Check out how pretty straight line quilting (not in the ditch) can be from a favorite of blog of mine: http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2009/10/tutorial.html

This is what I do--just chalk mark straight lines either diagonally or horizontal and vertically. I don't pay attention to where my seam lines are--I just mark the quilt in lines usually 4 inches apart. I follow those lines with a lengthened stitch with a thread like Aurafil--either white, color matching quilt or a variegated thread. This makes for a nice all-over grid--looks nice front and back. I think stitching in the ditch is difficult.