Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My goddaughter is marrying a senator! >

My goddaughter is marrying a senator!

My goddaughter is marrying a senator!

Old 01-16-2015, 12:51 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

What an exciting time for your family!
But you answered your own question in your next-to-last sentence. Follow your heart.

Jan in VA
Old 01-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Use her colors. She is who she is. Hopefully that won't change.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:30 PM

I would ask her the colors she'll be using to decorate the room (check her registry for color and style of bedding and linens she has already chosen). Even someone (like me) who likes bright colors in her wardrobe might prefer muted tones for the bedroom. It's too much work and money invested to risk it not being in colors she (and he) prefer.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:54 AM

Congratulations, Neighbor! Minnesota here! SoDak is a great state and to keep out of trouble how about the colors of the University of South Dakota or the Good Old Red White and Blue. (I am being facetious!!!) How about a Sampler with all different colors. Perhaps you can find blocks that have something to do with your goddaughter and her future husband.......a Memory Quilt, so to speak)! You know that whatever you make will be a treasure for her and her husband. Just make sure you have fun making it. Also, make a book to go with it. I always do that, sort of let the giftee know what the weather was, what the headlines were, what that particular block means to you because you are doing it for them. Explain the feeling of bonding with the quilt and how you felt the exact moment you made that last stitch. It is a wonderful feeling, but you feel like you just gave your baby away!!!!!! Tell about her husband and her goddaughter meeting and the first time you met him. All the things that is what I call Love in a Quilt - others call it provenance. Make sure you have a label to put on it. Best of luck to you. I am just finishing a sampler that I made for my cousin and another one ready to go for my other cousin (brother and sister). We are in our 70's now and hey, just that I am finishing them is an accomplishment here and I love every minute of it. Edie
Old 01-17-2015, 06:35 AM

I think I would speak with her in person or take her to a quilt store to get ideas on pattern and colors she would like. The colors I love are not always the ones I choose to use for quilts. Also she may have a color scheme picked out for
her new bedroom that is more husband friendly!
Old 01-17-2015, 06:47 AM
shy

I just finish two wedding quilt for my granddaughters..they was very bright colors..but their wedding colors..both turnout well..Not my taste that counts here it is theirs..they choose those colors as what they wanted on the special day of their life..they may in later years out grow those colors..but they will not out grow the memories ..the quilt will always be special..one grand son to be said to his bride to be..I don't even like our wedding colors ..but this is beautiful..from a guy that is pretty good praise..another set of grkids put their quilt in all of their wedding pictures..so u see..u are not making the quilt for a senator or governors wife to be maybe..u are making it for the fun loving happy girl now that u know and love..who loves bright colors..who may have to tone it down in public..but her home is her private taste..
Old 01-17-2015, 06:47 AM

I think I would do as already mentioned and find out the colors she will be using in decorating, either the room you think your quilt would be used or the general scheme in their home together and go with that. That being said, none of that may be actually knowable, in which case I would make it with lots of neutrals and add some of the colors in small amounts that she likes but not too bright and not too flowery so he will like it too. Batiks would be wonderful! Be sure to post the pic and remind us of this story when it's finished ok? I'm sure we will all be curious what you came up with.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Veinurse View Post
Her mother and I joke that she could be the governor's wife one day, but living in South Dakota this is possible!
And sometimes senators wives become presidents wives. It happens, doesn't it. And living in the U.S. this is possible!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
How about something with neutrals and punches of brights here and there? Maybe a classic pattern in more contemporary fabrics, batiks or similar? Log cabin, Irish Chain, something like that. Personally, even though I have my favorite colors, I have several quilts in different color schemes and love them all
This is what I would do!! Congratulations for your goddaughter's up coming nuptials!!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:33 AM

First off I grew up in a political family when I was a child.

And I hated that politics overshadowed much of my childhood.

Do not make the quilt in 'State, Team or Party' colours. If you do, it is not being made for your God Daughter.

Do not make it neutral, because you think a Senator's wife needs to 'tone it down'. This is a personal gift from you, not a political statement.

I also think it is incredibly presumptuous to make a gift that requires a room being decorated around it. Yes I have received such gifts, and heard the comments about the gift not being on display. Not all quilts need to be put on a bed. I know it is frowned upon by some here, but there is a place for lap quilts, picnic quilts, an extra blanket for the car. My car quilt is used daily for 6 months of the year.

If you would be making her a bright colourful quilt if she was marrying a plumber or car salesman, that is the quilt you need to make her.